Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'd a hardcore XBMC user, but Frodo doesn't really have anything that screams UPGRADE EVERYTHING HURRY! like Dharma to Eden did. Now the libretro stuff though? hoooly poo poo I'm excited about that. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Check this out: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

steam is making their own linux OS for gaming. Ho Hum EXCEPT that it can stream your (I am assuming only steam) games from your beefier desktop to your htpc, eliminating the need to have a super powerful HTPC running 24/7.

Its all open source, so I'm sure there will be a plugin or some sort of integration of xbmc into steamOS. valve is pretty cool so would expect we'll see some integration someday that doesn't involve valve intentionally breaking the functionality etc.

I wouldnt mind being able to play the latest PC games on my tv on my little zbox :allears:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
My issue is I ended up resolving to go with windows for my xbmc and a few months ago I finally got it so close to perfect I stopped tinkering with it.

I think I finally broke even on TIME SPENT MESSING WITH XBMC / WATCHING ACTUAL MEDIA on it. :unsmith:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
The next logical step, the boxes that valve will sell for their SteamOS. :)

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

No product or prices yet, but curious to see their selections they'll have. Wouldn't mind a steambox with XBMC as a plugin/whatever!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
You may have noticed that green is AMD and Blue is intel. I have a now obsolete AD02, (the bigger box) and I can confirm you can turn off that green LED circle (it lights up) with a bios toggle if you go that route.

My "old" Ad02 can do anything I want in XBMC so anything newer than that will stomp all over it.

Only thing you'll miss on with these is high end gaming, or the crazy levels of cpu power you need for emulation of ps2 and wii games etc. Everything below should be fine and dandy.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Biggest human being Ever posted:

-the menus are, when using the remote control, a bit sluggish
-boot times are pretty long, 40+ seconds (openelec on USB stick)

Hey for the boot time, what kind of stick are you using? the boot time is relatively limited to the speed of the stick, so you might want to invest on one of those faster sticks if you need it to boot quickly. Mine boots really quick but I also picked up one of those EXXXTREEEME or whatever sticks that can read and write very quickly.

For the menu, you could always install YATSE which is a cool android app for phones and tablets to give a visual menu of videos to play. I actually delegated a more or less obsolete nook color to remote duty.
There shouldn't be too much of a delay though, can you identify if its cpu lagging behind or if its just a high latency IR reciever?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Super late reply, but if you're having the issue where XBMC starts to stutter after being idle for a while in windows just set up a task in the task scheduler to reboot the system at like 4AM and use XBMCLAUNCHER to control booting it back up. Janky, but its fire and forget.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yup, I cant really find much that works better than Transparency or looks nicer. :shobon:

Metropolis has always been a favorite of mine too, but I always seem to slink back to transparency.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I do. Thank you for the writeup!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm pretty good at xbmc and the 24fps stuff is where I always had trouble, the last bastion. I assume my 60hz tv just isnt savvy since 24hz doesnt really divide into 60 evenly so it jumps?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Semi related to XBMC but the only reason I've kept around my HTPC is because I can run windows and run steam on it in the background (with it marked as favorite in my homescreen) so I can take advantage of steam streaming from my desktop. Its a wonderful thing streaming the game library to the bigscreen in the living room on a lovely underpowered dual core E350. Can I emulate anything like this on an android device at all? I don't think there is a steam android app that does the same as the windows client yeah?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Which I do. Hmmmmm, I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
The newer android boxes are way more powerful too. I belive even the newest apple tv is still a single core 1ghz chip and even the fire tv stick has twice the ram and a dual core 1ghz chip for $30 less.

I'm really close to buying a fire tv set top to replace my htpc, the only hangup being that I need to explore how well the limelight app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight&hl=en) plays on it in general as my HTPC probably gets used more for gaming than video at this point on my end.

Anyone using this setup with an xbox 360 controller and it links up okay?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yeah I currently run wired for my existing setup, I just wonder how the geforce experience thing works on non NVIDA optimized games and stuff like that, the steam streaming doesn't really give a poo poo on WHAT game it is which is cool and the integration of steam into XBMC is super easy. Maybe I should just leave it as is. :sigh:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Interesting. Thanks for looking into it! In the end I'll probably get one to finally retire my xbox1(original) for emulators but combining it with my xbmc htpc would be best. For now I guess I'm fine as-is. :unsmith:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Hadlock posted:

Looks like you need a minimum of GTX 600/700/800/900 series GPU and acts as a client for nVidia's video streaming technology that runs locally on your laptop/PC "server". I think it renders the scene locally on the server and pushes it out as a h.264 stream which is then decoded locally by the FireTV "client" in hardware.

I have an old GTX 460 (2010/11 era GPU) so I'm out of luck, anything newer than Spring 2012 ought to support it though.

Yeah thats to use the limelight setup which is android based. Steam streaming does it without any level of special hardware/OS but its not something you can easily dump into android. torjus check out if steamOS can somehow do it on your machine as it's linux based?

My HTPC is windows based so I just use steam streaming right now, with an addon that boots straight into steam big picture from the main menu (GAMES button under videos)

With that I can get 720p/60fps in most games, I'd do 1080p as my desktop can handle it, but the htpc cannot. :sigh:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Looks like they finally fixed the lack of USB storage too yeah? Can you run an emulator on the fire TV and pull files from USB now or does it still need to all be on the internal memory? Can you do a network share? I really want to replace my AMD e-350 for no reason I guess. :sigh:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yeah I haven't upgraded from 13.2 yet, no feature addition has been compelling enough for me to upgrade and slog through the inevitable issues running it on my weird hardware. I'll just keep it as is I guess until emulation is added. :sigh:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm trying to kick off my emby install but I guess I'm an idiot as I'm not sure how to go about getting my library status into emby. I have MySQL right now, do I just install emby, let it scrape my library on its own and THEN run the app on Kodi? Just want to make sure my watched status nonsense carries over. :saddowns:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Seems roundabout but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I actually ended up doing the trakt route and it worked great.

The last few days have been a bit of a head banger, I updated from an old iteration of UNRAID 5.x to the latest 6.1 release so I had to toast my whole setup. Ended up switching from SAB + Sickbeard + an ancient version of couchpotato (was still on the old blue themed app) to NZBGET Sonarr and new couchpotato + Emby to power the whole thing. A lot of head banging and discovering so many small gotchas and intricacies but I think I finally got it right except this last thing:

When I tell Sonarr to alert Emby a new video has been added it has a lot of toggles, and I don't have it in front of me to take a screenshot, but the the one that caught me off guard was initiating a scan was OFF as the default in Sonarr. Does Emby have a way to add that video to the library without needing to do a full scan with the other toggles enabled An incremental add I guess?

EDIT: Of course after posting I realize this isnt quite the right thread to ask this but I guess I'll leave it here since you two seem informed!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/950524/amazon-prime-on-the-shield-tested-and-working-mostly-/

Looks like someone found a way to side load in the apk with it working rather well. It's worth a shot anyway!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
And if you don't want nvidia, the steam link is 20 bucks right now, normally $50. http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/

I have a shield TV and a steam link (Steam link purchased before the shield) and while I could work to combine it under the shield, its work that doesn't need to be done. Ehh.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm hyped if they bring the steam app to the old models, I jump between it and my steam link all the time and if I can consolidate that's just icing on the cake!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I just never set it up, I had a steam link before I got a shield TV. Is it a superior setup vs steam link? Or are you just wondering why I own redundant hardware? ;)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Sweet, sounds like I'll be freeing up an HDMI port on my TV soon!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Senor Dog posted:

The cheaper one apparently no longer has an IR receiver
I upgeaded from an old zbox too, an ad02.

If you use a harmony remote, that IR reciever leaves much to be desired. it basically only supports the bare minimum, so if you have buttons for subtitles, watched/unwatched status, slow seek fast seek etc, those wont be supported. I ended up buying a FLIRC to solve and didnt end up using the native IR reciever.

wolrah posted:

That said, Steam Link goes on sale all the time and was even as low as $20 last week.

This is the way to go if you have an extra HDMI port honestly. I played with trying to get everything linked into the Shield (and retire my steam link) but it was just never. quite. right. Just get the steam link for pc games. Its on sale RIGHT NOW on amazon for $20. Like wolrah said, I spent enough time getting mad that it negated any benefit of putting them all into one box. If you have the HDMI space, just get it. :)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Ixian posted:

SPMC has a lot of Shield-specific features. There's an alpha out based on Kodi 17.4 that works well, check the Github.

I was about to ask if I should try to upgrade SPMC to the alpha or just switch to Kodi. I guess its a case of FOMO, but unless Kodi has that retroplayer stuff dialed in I suppose I'm fine on any features between 16 and 17.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Tapedump posted:

Shield. Shield. Shield.

Gamestream for non-Steam games. Kodi and the Shield-customized SemperPax version of Kodi. Best or at least decent apps for name-the-service.

Just a heads up that if you have a steam link you can indeed do non steam games on it, you just need to add the game on your PC as a "non steam game", its one of the drop-downs in the app.

I still use both a steam link and the shield tv even though I could consolidate them, but I just keep them seperate due to habit.
Anyways, there's still a solution for non steam games if you don't have a shield!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I realized SPMC development stopped when my tvdb scrapers stopped working recently. Koying (Dev) moved to a different project which is a paid fork of Kodi. Seems fine, but I just switched to official Kodi on my shield and things transferred ok. Thank goodness for trakt keeping my videos synced!

How are we looking on official emulation support? Is it pretty good in the 18.x alpha?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Not sure if you have one, but the Harmony remote lets you do a custom button to get you back to the home menu, which is what I do.

I don't do much out of kodi though because most of my apps like Netflix and Hulu are at shortcuts inside of my skin anyway, so it acts as the home base.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I ended up having to downgrade back to 17.6, 18 just kept hard crashing my Shield TV. Not sure what the issue is, or what the solution is but a word of warning that if you aren't immediately needing 18 features yet, maybe just wait for 18.6 or whatever in a year. I do want the emulators though! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I migrated to Plex as well about a year ago but my shield 2015 rocked Kodi no problem til then. It can't be the only OS/app like a PC can, hitting HOME will bring you to a stock Android TV interface, but that's kind of ok if you plan to also use Netflix and other apps anyway.