Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

kri kri posted:

Yes for your database. For your settings you can use the XBMC backup addon.

A quick suggestion for those of you setting up new XBMC installs or reconstructing old ones: use the XBMC Backup plugin. It's cross-platform, so whenever I need to reformat an OS (be it OS X, Windows or OpenELEC), I just quickly install XBMC and copy over the backed up userdata/addons folders and after some automatic add-on updating- voila, back to my original heavily customized setup. I can't believe I manually re-set all my custom Aeon Nox menus multiple times before realizing this. This, along with a mySQL database, Sickbeard, and the XBMC iPhone app has been superb lately.

The one only little bug that has been making me wonder is when a new episode is automatically "notified" by Sickbeard to my XBMC client, it updates fine but it doesn't display the thumbnail on the host machine for a while (anywhere from 2-6 hours?), but it will load the episode thumbnail right away on any of the other devices on the database. Anyone have any idea why this is and/or how to have it automatically display? It's barely even a bug, but it's weird having a blank thumbnail there regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

monkeybounce posted:

I can't really say why it does that, but mine has always done it that way. I've never used a local library, so I didn't even realize it could have been different. So this is normal behavior.

Mine too, but it scans fine as well. Pretty sure there's nothing to worry about here.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Godinster posted:

Does that make sense? I am lost.

Go to Videos -> Add Videos. In this case, you want to browse to SMB and find your Share. Once you have it selected, choose whether the folder is TV or Movies and then it should begin scraping that folder for metadata. If it doesn't, select the folder and press menu (C on keyboard) and Scan for New Content. If you think you messed up, press C and choose Change content and edit what the content is. Mess around with it a bit and learn how it works. Feel free to message me here or on irc (doxinho freenode & SynIRC) if you have any more of these questions!

dox
Mar 4, 2006

bam thwok posted:

I've been running a windows xbmc + sabnzbd + sickbeard + couch potato + headphones set up for a while, and because I reliability issues I'd really like to transition to a *nix set up. What's the least painful way to accomplish this? I'm running a purpose-built HTPC rather than a net-top, so I don't think I need to go super lean on performance with something like open-elec.

Although it's not ideal, you can just install debian or your preferred nix distro and install them all that way... it's a bit easier to manage if they are separate but it will work. I personally have a NAS that runs sb/sabnzbd/etc and a custom HTPC build with dedicated openelec install although one day I will get around to setting up some emulation fun.

edit: on second thought you probably want to ubuntu if you're going to go that route

dox fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 11, 2013

dox
Mar 4, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

There are a bunch of different NUCs aren't there? Can anyone recommend a couple that work out-of-the-box with OpenELEC the way that an AD10/12 does?

The cheapest Intel NUC will do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

There's nothing like OpenELEC for Plex is there? I see there's a RasPlex for Pi's, but nothing for anything else.

Not exactly what you are looking for but there is Plexbmc.