Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I recently moved to an AD12 and Frodo on Win8 from an old htpc on win7 using a harmony 650. Transitioning over was no sweat by seemingly randomly the volume is low on the xbmc sound setting after some use, I bump it back to 0 decibels (from -15 or so) and set it as default again. A day later, its at some random lower value again. What should I be looking for that would be changing the xbmc sound as my harmony is set up to be changing my sound bar and this behavior never occurred on the old system.

Appreciate the help, this thread is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Whomever recommended SportsDevil I must send a sincere thanks to you! This looks to be perfect, with the knowledge of having to deal with broken streams of course, for my weekend enjoyment of international sports that are not available to a Plastic american.

Now I need to do advanced work to get Sopcast going and it'll be even better.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fillerbunny posted:

I initially tried MythTV, then switched to TvHeadend, thinking that fast channel changes was important to me, but ultimately TvHeadend's inability to pause and rewind live TV was a deal-breaker, so I switched back to MythTV. I haven't clocked it, but I don't think takes 5 seconds to switch; a couple, maybe, but 5 sounds high.

The real shortcoming of MythTV is the backend setup/GUI. Holy poo poo, is it bad. As a software engineer, I have to wonder why the dev decided to inflict it upon the world. I also understand, though, that some guys value functionality over usability, which seems to be the case here.

At any rate, it's certainly not a point-and-click operation to get the PVR functionality up and going, and the integration falls a little short of professional DVR software, but it's close enough, and when you combine it with SickBeard, my needs are met well enough that I'm canceling cable this week. I'm waiting on my Flirc unit before I do it, but it requires some advanced remote setup as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch hockey games from Comcast SportsNet, and I'm good.

Anybody have suggestions for streaming sports broadcasts?

Sports Devil, it's divine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm hoping to get a little insight into what I could potentially be doing wrong with my set up. I have Frodo on an ad12 with Win 8 on an SSD. I just received my HD Homerun today and put that puppy on my network to grab my HD Antenna. The utility grabs all of the locals and after pointing it to VLC am able to watch over the ad12. I'm working on xbmc integration and i see that you need a backend and the xbmc plugin. I try my hand at NVPR but before integrating xbmc I see its grabbing all but one channel (abc) despite my HD homerun receiving it just fine.

At this point I am irritated with it and decide to try out media portal. This seems to work very well and eventually figure out how to get the streams to flow into XBMC (after some frustrating tv server plugin set up not being clear on the share names and such, I may not have actually set time shifting and recording up properly) and can see all the channels in the channels list when I click live TV. If I click one the show starts in the preview window but when I push left to activate the view options to go full screen, xbmc freezes but the tv audio continues. This behavior also exists it I do not even play a tv show.

I was also playing with the options and checked start live tv on xbmc startup and surprisingly that worked perfectly directly into full screen.

It seems I cannot select a channel and get it into full screen, what am I missing here? It seems that I have figured all the hard poo poo out but this little freeze is crippling the effort. I'm half considering setting it up with the individual channels as sources in videos at this point!

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Why is there so little talk of Navi-X in this thread? I've recently stumbled onto it and have been VERY impressed with the results. Sure, it takes a bit of time to sift through some user lists to find some solid channels to add to your favorites, but once that's done you can just pop in and out of channels of varying quality. So far the two best I've found is Animal Planet HD and Sky Sports 1, both in 720p. I could hardly tell it wasn't coming in over an actual satellite signal. I know the downside is that these feeds come and go and you may have to put up with some Malaysian subtitles, but this seems like a cordcutters dream here.

What are some tips and tricks you guys have, how are you using Navi-x, especially now that their curated list of Live TV channels is gone?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

snuff posted:

I imagine there's little talk about it because it's illegal.

Oh... That would be quite right now, wouldn't it. Suppose I originally thought of it in the grey area as we discuss other streams and such.

Welp, forget I said anything then!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EC posted:

I kind of went with the theory that if it wasn't allowed on the official XBMC forums, then it probably shouldn't be mentioned in the OP. Talking about it in general terms is probably ok, as long as we don't start posting "HOW TO WATCH ALL OF THINGS FOR FREE" guides and keep it to technical talk.

What say you thread: should I add it to the OP?

I don't visit the forums, so that's where I went astray.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

With NBCSports.com being super awesome and airing every single English Premier League game live on their website I was hoping that someone has made a plugin to seamlessly watch these from within XBMC similar to the ESPN app. Has anyone seen one? I do hate having to bust out the wireless mouse and navigate to chrome, and fuss with navigating and such.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I just picked up a celeron NUC and put openelec on it. It works great but whenever I switch sources on my hdmi switch it shares I lose the overscan settings. A reboot restores it but is there an easy way to bring them back? Look for wife ease here. I may just resort to powering it down when I'm done but who wants that??

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Sounds like a bug in your HDMI switch. That shouldn't happen, and indeed does not with a sensible A/V receiver. Don't know if there's any workaround you could try, other video drivers or whatnot.

On the plus side, it boots (and shuts down) so quickly the wife shouldn't have a problem with that either.

Thanks, I figured as such. It's kind of a complex set up since the HDMI port is busted on my DLP. I have a HDMI->Component convertor and then a 3-1 HDMI Monoprice switch before that. So there's lots of crap to get in the way of a proper handshake. Compound the problem with the fact that my DLP only does 720P and it is sure sounding like a new TV is in my future. I had considered getting a new HT receiver that has multiple HDMI inputs but would still be bottlenecked by the HDMI converter issue.

It seems that the overscan is NOT resetting to the correct position on a restart, but my wife apparently didn't even notice... now if there was only a script or something I could run that would reset the values so I don't have to go through the manual process it'd be much better.

I also have noticed (and so did my wife when she sent a panicked text...) that on the first reboot the NUC says that there isn't a bootable device. When you power it off manually it'll then boot into OpenELEC. Interesting behavior.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Since the FireTV thread is locked, I need to ask this here. But I was having zero issues with Kodi on my 1st Gen FireTV box last night and when I went to run it this morning it wouldn't load. Just crash back to the Amazon screen. I tried uninstalling it, installing 17, then after that didn't do it installed 16.1 again with the exact file I used before.

Any ideas on why it'd suddenly stop working and even a reinstall not work? I rebooted my FTV FWIW.

edit: Of course by posting I AM NOW A LIAR. Literally tried to launch it ONE more time after hitting post and it came up....
edit2: I'm not a liar, still quitting to desktop.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks. I hadn't tried unplugging and going from there and I got it. Completely wiped Kodi following the reboot. Hadn't thought to check logs, will do next time. Thanks!