Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EC posted:

iOS and OSX (appleTV, Mac Mini, etc) $99 and UP

The first and second gen AppleTV boxes are able to run XBMC, but I would not recommend either of them over the alternatives due to the cost of hardware and their limited power. I would also recommend against purchasing a Mac Mini or other Apple computer for the purpose of running XBMC, once again because of the cost compared to other platforms. The 3rd generation AppleTV currently has no jailbreak method. Until it has one, there is no way of knowing how well XBMC would be supported. Assuming it was jailbroken and supported in XBMC for 1080P playback, it would be an attractive option at $100. But I fully expect there to be more android options available at and below this price point in the very near future, and they will not require any hacking or jail breaking to run XBMC on.

Why the hate towards ATVs ? I have 2x Apple TVs (2nd Gens) that are both solid running XBMC and I can take one out of its retail packaging and have it running XBMC connecting to my MySQL database in about 10 minutes, it's hardly difficult. One I got on about 15% discount, the other I got at 50% discount with it being used about twice. There's no way I'd run a similarly priced Android device over one of these.

As for the Mini, you're talking absolute nonsense. It's a fantastic HTPC and you get full OSX on your big screen TV, I totally wish I had one in my lounge instead of my hifi sized dedicated Windows 7 HTPC which cost more than a Mini (hell, the case cost nearly as much as a second hand one). Paying retail for Apple products is for suckers, and pretty much anyone can get discount if they try so cost really isn't an issue. There's no similar form factor machine on the market I'd choose over the Mini if you want a solid machine. Hell, you can even dedicate it to running Windows if you desire, it'll be nearly as good.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I finally got around to upgrading all my boxes from Eden to Frodo today, but having problems with the thumbnails.

It didn't seem to want to update the MySQL database, so I cleaned them all out and Imported the Library from the multi file backup I did earlier today, and with the advancedsettings.xml pointing all the machines to the MySQL database I can see all my stuff and play it back with no issues.

I looked into the log file to see if that gave any indication as to why I can't see anything and I came upon this line:

quote:

16:55:15 T:140735309906304 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: C:\xbmc_videodb_2013-05-04\tvshows\whatever\s10e24.tbn

It looks like everything is mapped to the backup file on the C: drive of the server. Works fine on that machine, but nothing else can see it. I'm guessing anything added to the library might work as it would be sorted out by SickBeard/Couch Potato. Should I just clear the libraries and rescan anything from my drives? Or is there a solution to tell XBMC to get the thumbs/etc from the folders where the episodes are because they'll all be in there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cixelsyd posted:

I had a similar problem after upgrading: my first unit found be fine, but the second one wouldn't find the same files. See if you can copy the textures.db file from the one that works to the other one and see if that fixes it. That seemed to do it for me. I think it's in .xbmc/userdata/Database/Textures13.db

It looks like something interrupted the import about 75% through so I scrapped it and did a rescan instead, everything working pretty much as normal now. Cheers for the advice anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trakt is, was and always will be the buggiest god damned plugin you can ever add to XBMC. Unless things have radically changed in the last few months, which I sincerely doubt they have.

It's a shame, it's pretty cool otherwise!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Like EC said, the buggy as poo poo addons were unofficial hacks. The official trakt addon

http://trakt.tv/downloads/xbmc

Works great for me. Uninstall your lovely trakt utilities or whatever and install this one.

Sorry, I've always tried the official one (although I was once advised to uninstall it and use Utilities before), but as Keito above me confirms - it's just got *something* in it that causes problems. Glad to hear it's running better on Frodo, but I know if I put it on there'll be crashes and hangs on my main system and I need it stable.

e: Just to be clear on the 'pause in any room functionality' - you actually need to hit 'Stop' for it to log where you got to, which is why if you crash XBMC while it's running something it doesn't remember you ever starting it. It is rad to watch half a film downstairs and complete it in bed though, and if you have more than one machine running XBMC (I think we have 6 or 7 here now) I highly recommend it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok I'm willing to give trakt one last shot to see if it can behave itself. The plugin has changed a bit since I remember and I'm not sure if I'd put my MySQL setup when I last run it - do I install on just the main box, or every machine in the house with xbmc? If the latter, do I need to have any specific settings in place?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My housemates Pi seems fine in a similar setup to Sendo's too. Just sending 2ch to an amp regardless of source. It chokes on AirPlay though (even just music), but he hasn't OC'd.

Upgraded SickBeard 499 to 500 Windows yesterday, and now it thinks all my 720 WEB-DLs are in fact 1080 Blu-Rays, so won't ever replace them unless I edit all the listings. Fun! Luckily the Mass Editor meant I could switch out the old Custom template I use for the new one so that didn't suck up an entire night, but I don't think you can mass edit what it's screwed up in the meantime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The pHo posted:

Ok I'm willing to give trakt one last shot to see if it can behave itself.

And to absolutely zero surprise - XBMC falling over on my iMac when I start it this morning. Nothing in the log line to explain why, removed Trakt folder and now everything works as normal.

What the gently caress is it with this plugin? I've tried it since the very beginning across two different plugins and it's always caused so many problems. Annoying as hell because it's a good service, a good idea but just doesn't bloody work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looked for the file, but not there. Have also tried reinstalling Trakt from the repository but the same thing happened as soon as it kicked in. Not sure whether the plugin on my main box (which runs the MySQL server) will cause any problems, at the moment I'll just have to rely on that to update watch states as long as it remains stable (it should do it every time the library updates at least). Means I can't scrobble from this machine, but other than logging how long you've spent watching TV in the Charts option I don't think there's any real advantage to Scrobbling over just update the watchstate, right?

Cheers

e: Have upgraded from 12.2 to the latest 13 nightly and that seems to be behaving itself a bit better. I've not been wonderfully convinced by Frodo to be honest, things that worked fine in 11 were a bit dodgy (ordering in Latest Episodes / Movies seemed completely off) and I was getting crashes in one show on 2 different machines just by going into the folder. At least 13 doesn't change MySQL elements at the moment, phew.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 16, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get that issue sometimes on my Windows box with XBMC - it'll even put a notification on the screen saying it can't use the sound driver. I tend to exit XBMC, get something else to trigger a sound then go back into it. Not really the best solution so I'm glad it doesn't happen often.

In XBMC 13 I keep getting a message asking if I'm happy with my resolution setting each time I hit \ in order to switch between Full Screen and WIndowed modes. Highly irritating and I can't find a menu option with regards to it. Anyone else had this and found a way to tell it to stop? Maybe something in the advancedsettings.xml file?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I presumed it was a feature of sorts that I didn't 'get'. I've run nightlys before so no big deal, I'll keep grabbing them until it's fixed. Just don't change the SQL schema in the meantime!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've had OpenElec builds run off my MySQL setup without issue. However, most recently these were Raspberry Pis so I kept the old path substitution in to make it a bit easier on them.

Might be worth a try? Add the following to your advancedsettings.xml file:

quote:

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://Share:share@HTPC-PC/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

On your MySQL machine, share the folder that contains the thumbnails then switch out the <to> element in my example to your path and it should be good to go. Path substitution is a bit slower than the new method, but it might resolve your issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enter will bring up the menu, then move over to the Audio button and the subs option is in there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah you basically write up an advancedsettings.xml section that tells the device where the server is and it'll read the library from there. I far prefer having a centralised machine which runs all the clients and servers then let every other device in the house connect to it. Once you've written up the settings, it takes literally a few seconds to get any xbmc client setup.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bingo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep that's pretty much how I do it too. Sickbeard, Couch Potato, SAB and XBMC on the HTPC in the lounge then most pcs, macs, apple TVs and rasp pis in the house running just the client.

Shame there's no xbmc server like plex has so I could offload everything to a dedicated box full of hdds.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There was at one point a relatively affordable PCI card with 2x mini SAS ports which can be used with a pair of SAS to 4x SATA cables to run 8 drives off a single card. Useful if you don't have many slots.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Looks like xperience1080 is on the official repo. My most favorite skin by far, even over Ace and Aeon nox. Just really well laid out, easy on the eyes and I like the list info viewtype.

e: I like the Rainbow mod better than the OG version, but at least its on the repo.

Is it XperienceMore or is that an offshoot? I'm not seeing Xperience1080 like the poster above me, but I did see that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it doesn't come with the pi, which I don't think it does, then that's an absolute rip off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Which version of xbmc is it running? The DTS-HD -> DTS conversion might be happening because you're on an older version, only the latest stable supports them. Presumably it has HDMI out? It should be able to pass anything over that, if it's just optical then that's a hardware limitation mind.

E: ah saw the link, DVI graphics.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ouya is just a terrible piece of poo poo, I'd plump for the RPi over it a million times. If you want something decent, build or buy something decent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So it works decently... despite the fact it crashes, it might not work above 720p, wireless is useless and it constantly buffers if you have your video on LAN? That sounds like loving unusable garbage to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Curious as to what's wrong with your RPi, I've set a few up for people and they sat nicely in a MySQL xbmc network. No issues with playback or navigation, my housemate has issues with airplay but that's it. This is using the final frodo openelec build for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't say I've had any problems with Frodo crashing on my ATV2, but I haven't found Frodo to be quite as stable as Eden was across the board.

I think there's something wrong with my iOS version though, it can be iffy playing back podcasts (just bails out part way through), so I should probably get that on the latest version (although isn't there a larger revision due shortly? I'll probably just wait until then).

Did you check the xbmc.log file? It can sometimes help establish what has caused the issue.

And for those who remember me moaning about Trakt before... my main HTPC was acting up, removed latest Trakt and surprise surprise everything working as it should again. It's just so goddamned unstable, which is really infuriating as it's also really useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn't the iTunes one working properly at the moment? I used to use that quite often. Never had a need for other sites personally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wolfbiker posted:

That's cool and all, but after two or three times aren't you thinking to yourself "start the loving movie already". It's like the crap that was at the beginning of VHS tapes and DVDs that you would always have to skip through. The advantage to using XBMC is the elimination of such stuff.

Exactly the reason I've never used it. I'd just skip through it every time. I can see why it was made, to recreate the cinema experience... but the cinema experience is generally quite annoying. Maybe with an update they can add sound clips of people talking through the first 5 minutes to really nail it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Gunslinger posted:

I updated OpenElec to 3.2.2 last night and it trashed my libraries/watch flags so yeah, I think I'm going to be looking into addon related solutions for that. Is Trakt still a buggy piece of poo poo or it reliable these days?

Trakt is, and always will be, a buggy unreliable piece of poo poo. Which is a great shame. I tried it only a month or two back and despite the usual 'it works fine' comments, once again it was the culprit of bringing my system to its knees.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From memory, the authors of EMM abandoned it and it was picked up by other people. Different versions probably give pretty different results. I thought it was decent enough for doing a pre-existing collection, but after that it was a bit of a pain in the butt.

Couch Potato is pretty solid and stable... sync it to your iMDB watch list (now iMDB have fixed their RSS feeds which were broken for about 6 months) and use that to tag what you want and wait. It combines with a fair few other services too, but given how synonymous iMDB is (mobile apps, huge db etc) it seemed the natural way to go for me. I can't remember any recent instances where CouchPotato has grabbed something incorrectly, missed anything or bodged up the file management side of things. It's pretty clean, and if you drop anything obtained elsewhere into its blackhole it'll handle that too (again, useful for preexisting collections).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Does anyone here run Frodo on ATV2? When frodo first came out the atv2 version was unusable (Kept crashing). I am hoping this has changed.

I've run it since it came out and have had no problems. I use MySQL however, rather than a local library.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wolfbiker posted:

I need to move a bunch of TV shows around from hard drive to hard drive. This is going to gently caress with things in Sickbeard. Is there a way to update the location of the TV shows without editing each show's entry manually? Maybe just deleting the entire DB and rescanning everything?

I'm not at my machine right now to tell you exactly where, but there is a mass update menu that lets you do things like move everything from E: to F: and similar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't see how that is any different from what I told you to do. Move your files from one drive to another, go to Mass Update and flag all the shows that have moved, hit the Edit button and tell it they've gone from one HDD to the Archive drive and everything updates internally without rescan.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

redhalo posted:

XBMC doesn't amplify past your system settings. If you scale your os's master volume to something like 80% you shouldn't get any digital clipping. Aside from that, possibly modify XBMC's keybinds for volume so that they can't be triggered.

Actually, if you go to the audio menu while playing a piece of video you can see there are two volume sliders - the first acts like you say, 0-100, then the second pushes extra amplification on top of this.

I have a similar setup to Jonathan, and my settings are top slider 100, 2nd slider 0, audio output HDMI. Make sure you save as defaults if you're changing these or it'll revert back on next play.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've just added a second screen to my iMac (OSX Mavericks) and wondering if anyone has any tips for getting XBMC to play a bit nicer.

The screen is hooked up to two machines, so it's not permanently displaying the iMac, so I'd like to leave XBMC on Screen 1 for the majority and use my '\' key as normal to full screen it to the primary display. However, when I have the 2nd screen running, I'd like to be able to press a different key (or the same one with a modifier perhaps) and have it fullscreen to Screen 2 instead (preferably without the 'Do You Want To Keep This Resolution?' message, as they run at different res'). Anyone got any hints for this?

At the moment I'm having to dive into the System Settings menu each time, which is pretty annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

XBMCHub.com is probably the best place to look for discussion of those kind of plugins.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Despite being a UK person, I've not installed the TV Catchup plugin that essentially is an iptv version of our fta channels, but I just gave it a test and I'm pretty impressed.

Best part? The plugin is developed by the site themselves, no more pain from 3rd party hack arounds. Hats off to them for not just ignoring a plugin as a threat, but getting involved and doing a good job of it.

http://plugins.tvcatchup.com/~xbmc

Might worth with a DNS foolery service like Unblock US, so could be worth looking into even if you're not a Brit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, great timing on my behalf. They lost a bunch of channels at the end of last year, I bet that didn't help.

Good to see once again British TV gets worse as time goes on. The DTV service we had back in the 90s is better than we have in 2014.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ConanThe3rd posted:

And even that was a downgrade as we went from being to see just about everything Pan Europe to the lovely thing they call a French channel and a million Asian channels.

Have you seen Zattoo.com ? My DNS service has me go in as a Swiss viewer, which gives me 140 channels of European TV. I did a few tests, quality seems alright if nothing incredible on the free version (I'm watching on a 27" iMac at 1440p mind, so anything less than 720p generally looks naff on here). Annoyingly no XBMC plugin as far as I can see, and the Appstore doesn't seem to have the iOS app in either UK or US store right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Offliberty.com is a pretty effortless way to get stuff off YouTube. Works for some other sites too from memory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm there is a hotkey on the bottom row of the keyboard that usually brought up that error for me when I ran XBMC - I used to hit it on purpose because it would resync the framerate to my receiver if something brought it out of fullscreen. I wonder if playing it is triggering that to happen as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AzCoug posted:

Is there such thing as faster HDMI cables (much like USB) that might be causing the issue?

Unless your HDMI cables are from the dollar store, this is not the issue. Press either i or o (can't remember which one, there's a few keys up there that do stuff) during playback and it'll bring up an overlay with audio/video formats, bitrates and dropped frames. If there's a poo poo ton of dropped frames or your GPU is being run 100% then that'll be why you're having issues.

I haven't tried it since I changed the graphics card, but my 2.4ghz C2D HTPC could play blu-ray disc in the drive fine, but for some reason choked on imaged versions and would have appalling frame rates and the like.