Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The 'treating the narrative as something you found rather than something you assembled' does seem to come up here and there, I know Stephen King is a big advocate of it in his writing books. After Tolkien's time, of course (if obviously aware of the former)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
It's pretty incredible how well he captures what he is going for.

Like as a kid, the Song of Earendil was gently caress, gently caress, another wall of text delaying me from the adventure. But now being old and having read the Silmarillion, I just wish I could sit there and listen to Bilbo in Imladris' fire hall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFbFtCNXCY

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arc Hammer posted:

I like when they first get to Rivendell and Bilbo and the Elves keep sassing each other over his poetry.

At this point I want to try to identify which of the elves are meant to represent which of the Inklings

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

soviet elsa posted:

It's pretty incredible how well he captures what he is going for.

Like as a kid, the Song of Earendil was gently caress, gently caress, another wall of text delaying me from the adventure. But now being old and having read the Silmarillion, I just wish I could sit there and listen to Bilbo in Imladris' fire hall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFbFtCNXCY

All marvelling at how many five-dollar words this little dude can cram into a poem about the boss's dad

Turn to the other elf next to you and whisper something like "holy poo poo is he getting us back for that thing where we rhymed valley with 'tra-la-la-lally'?"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

The Lord of the Rings isnt a work of fiction however, it is merely a translation into English of the Westron adaptation of the Red Book of Westmarch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can include poetry when it’s banger and Tolkiens poetry is banger. Those are the rules

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Re reading the Hobbit and lotr directly after the Silmarillion has me wondering if Tulkas wants to stomp Sauron more than he did Morgoth or less??

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

skasion posted:

There are no rules in fiction lol. Just get a pen and paper and start lying.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Tom Smykowski posted:

Re reading the Hobbit and lotr directly after the Silmarillion has me wondering if Tulkas wants to stomp Sauron more than he did Morgoth or less??

Tulkas' vibes definitely give me the impression he'd be very angry at a divine mandate that he is not allowed to run over and punch Sauron in the face.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tom Smykowski posted:

I feel like it'd be a less interesting fight for him? He already fought the end game Superboss, and he does love a challenge. The amount of runes he'd get from Sauron might feel a bit pitiful in comparison

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just noogieing Sauron and going "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself" while rings pop out of his head with a jingling sound like in Sonic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tulkas has been sleeping for 3 ages

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And he's been snoring like the Three Stooges the entire time.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

zoux posted:

Tulkas has been sleeping for 3 ages

Tulkas owns Something Awful??

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nessus posted:

The 'treating the narrative as something you found rather than something you assembled' does seem to come up here and there, I know Stephen King is a big advocate of it in his writing books. After Tolkien's time, of course (if obviously aware of the former)

I enjoy that Bram Stoker's Dracula is basically a found-footage horror story. I don't recall any meta-narrative about how the book found its way to the reader, whether Stoker pretended he didn't write the thing, but you're reading assembled letters and news clippings and then halfway through the characters say "hey, we should make a Book about all this stuff to keep it straight" and even start writing their portions with awareness that it's being archived.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I like how Gildor and the other elves don't say poo poo when they run into Frodo and crew right after a Black Rider was trying to sniff them out.

No hint of "oh gently caress we know the entire history of this one", just like "hmm come with us for a long rear end walk"

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tom Smykowski posted:

I like how Gildor and the other elves don't say poo poo when they run into Frodo and crew right after a Black Rider was trying to sniff them out.

No hint of "oh gently caress we know the entire history of this one", just like "hmm come with us for a long rear end walk"

They're wise enough to know that if they did tell Frodo what was chasing him he'd piss his pants and fling the ring into a river.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tom Smykowski posted:

SEP, baby! That's for those nerds in Rivendell to figure out, they're off to catch the Cirdan Express

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ginette Reno posted:

They're wise enough to know that if they did tell Frodo what was chasing him he'd piss his pants and fling the ring into a river.

That wouldn't be wise, that would be foolish because Frodo would not do that. He knows the Ringwraiths exist. What I think the elves are afraid of is that Frodo's fear might give the Ringwraiths additional power. Of course their blind fear is probably more dangerous, but Gildor doesn't know that Frodo has the Ring. If he did, he would probably realize that Frodo is already expecting the worst.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Tbf Gildor also has a vibe of "I feel like if I say anything I'm gonna gently caress this up in a way I can't even foresee"

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

That wouldn't be wise, that would be foolish because Frodo would not do that. He knows the Ringwraiths exist. What I think the elves are afraid of is that Frodo's fear might give the Ringwraiths additional power. Of course their blind fear is probably more dangerous, but Gildor doesn't know that Frodo has the Ring. If he did, he would probably realize that Frodo is already expecting the worst.

Frodo doesn't really remember much about the ring wraiths iirc. Gandalf talks about them when he's briefing Frodo about the ring but by the time Frodo leaves on his quest he doesn't know what's chasing him. I think Gildor is right to not make his fear even worse by saying oh yeah Frodo you're getting chased by undead wraiths who if they catch you are going to turn you into one of them and then torment you for eternity for daring to take Sauron's ring.

By the time Frodo leaves Rivendell he's aware of the stakes of the quest but he's hardened his heart to do what needs to be done. I don't think he's quite at that point yet when he leaves Bag End. He just wants to get the ring to Rivendell and isn't sure yet that he has to go further than that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ginette Reno posted:

Frodo doesn't really remember much about the ring wraiths iirc. Gandalf talks about them when he's briefing Frodo about the ring but by the time Frodo leaves on his quest he doesn't know what's chasing him. I think Gildor is right to not make his fear even worse by saying oh yeah Frodo you're getting chased by undead wraiths who if they catch you are going to turn you into one of them and then torment you for eternity for daring to take Sauron's ring.

By the time Frodo leaves Rivendell he's aware of the stakes of the quest but he's hardened his heart to do what needs to be done. I don't think he's quite at that point yet when he leaves Bag End. He just wants to get the ring to Rivendell and isn't sure yet that he has to go further than that.

Except that Aragorn immediately tells Frodo the identities of the Black Riders when they meet. Of course, Aragorn most likely knows hobbits better than Gildor does, but he also knows that Frodo has the Ring. That being said, neither of them does tell Frodo their full power and danger, but Gildor is definitely being a bit overcautious.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How much of that is the usual Tolkien author weirdness? Like, Gildor is evasive and short on details because JRRT himself wasn't yet sure of what the wraiths could do?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sweet geek swag posted:

He also trusts Gandalf's judgement, and figures that if the guy wanted Frodo to know he'd have told him. Since Frodo doesn't know what a Black Rider is, Gandalf must think that he'd be better off not knowing. He's willing to help Frodo but not to the extent of possibly messing up a Wizard's plans.

He all but says as much, in the proverbial "do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards" line.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tree Bucket posted:

How much of that is the usual Tolkien author weirdness? Like, Gildor is evasive and short on details because JRRT himself wasn't yet sure of what the wraiths could do?

So I looked this up in Return of the Shadow, and in the original version Gildor knows that Bingo(Frodo) has the ring. But also importantly Bingo does not know who the Ringwraiths are at all, and it seems that it was almost immediately after this scene was written that Tolkien began working on his extended exposition sequence from 'Shadows of the Past.' It's an entirely different context originally, though the text is remarkably similar.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Aragorn explaining what the hell is going on is important both for gaining the Hobbits' trust by speaking candidly, and for getting them to understand how little room for error they have now that Gandalf is missing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sweet geek swag posted:

So I looked this up in Return of the Shadow, and in the original version Gildor knows that Bingo(Frodo) has the ring. But also importantly Bingo does not know who the Ringwraiths are at all, and it seems that it was almost immediately after this scene was written that Tolkien began working on his extended exposition sequence from 'Shadows of the Past.' It's an entirely different context originally, though the text is remarkably similar.

Yeah, and in the original drafts Gildor basically lore-dumps on Bingo/Frodo for a page's worth of weird expansions on destiny and providence and the Baggins/Took halves of his personality which he apparently knows all about. That all got moved earlier into Gandalf's fireside chat, and Gildor's scene becomes a lot more circumscribed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

Aragorn explaining what the hell is going on is important both for gaining the Hobbits' trust by speaking candidly, and for getting them to understand how little room for error they have now that Gandalf is missing.

Ya that and ofc frodo's near death/shade experience are what influence him greatly to choose to be the ring bearer at the council of elrond.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thank god he didn't stick with "Bingo"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

zoux posted:

Parralel universe where Strider is a hobbit with wooden feet (and also called Trotter).

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

keep punching joe posted:

Parralel universe where Strider is a hobbit with wooden feet (and also called Trotter).

And Sauron is a cat.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Deformed Church posted:

And Sauron is a cat.

A++ would read.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

You think that’s bad…I’m quite sure that if the wizard in The Hobbit had gone to press as “Bladorthin”, no one nowadays would ever have heard of Tolkien

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What if he had managed to get someone to publish the Silmarillion in the 40s, along with or possibly before LotR

Would he be even more respected, or would he be forgotten as some Henry Darger type

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
also Sauron was never a cat. The Book of Lost Tales precursor to Sauron is Tû/Tûvo from Gilfanon’s Tale, not Tevildo. Tevildo’s role in Tale of Tinuviel was later taken (in Lay of Leithian) by Thû/Sauron, but this corresponds with a shift in emphasis from “cats vs dogs” to “wolves vs dogs”

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

You think that’s bad…I’m quite sure that if the wizard in The Hobbit had gone to press as “Bladorthin”, no one nowadays would ever have heard of Tolkien

Bladorthin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He wouldn't go to the East because they called him Blandalf.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

He wouldn't go to the East because they called him Blandalf.

He tried once but he was yet unseasoned

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They named him "Ill-news" and he went back crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Look he really loved hobbits ok