Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I really enjoy the Martin Shaw audiobook of the Silmarillion, for what it's worth.

This is even better though.

Seconding the audiobook. It's huge, but great if you have a commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have started re-reading the trilogy after seeing the Hobbit movie with my kids. That got me interested in the wider history of ME, which I haven't really got into before now. I read the Silmarillion as a teen, but I don't remember much. I think I just skipped to the parts with dragons and poo poo.

I was so stoked to find this thread and so disappointed to find it was only five pages long. I have been reading other forums and Jesus they suck. SA has spoiled me. Half the posts are people making stupid jokes with smilies or talking about pipe weed as ganja or asking about how orcs gently caress.

I wish I could contribute more to this thread, but as of right now I just have two questions. First: Why do the Elves know so much about healing if they never get sick?

And also, I assumed that Frodo's time with the ring is what caused him to become all depressed and leave the Shire to go live with elves. But, I was reading FotR last night and I got to the part where he was recovering in Rivendell after getting stabbed by the Morgul-blade. Gandalf says to his self that not even Elrond can tell what will happen to Frodo in the long term, and that he might end up as clear as glass with a light shining out, and that his arm already looked insubstantial (although he told Frodo he looked just great!). Now I am wondering if it's his wound that caused him to travel off with the Elves. Is there any merit to that?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Dregs posted:

I have started re-reading the trilogy after seeing the Hobbit movie with my kids. That got me interested in the wider history of ME, which I haven't really got into before now. I read the Silmarillion as a teen, but I don't remember much. I think I just skipped to the parts with dragons and poo poo.

I was so stoked to find this thread and so disappointed to find it was only five pages long. I have been reading other forums and Jesus they suck. SA has spoiled me. Half the posts are people making stupid jokes with smilies or talking about pipe weed as ganja or asking about how orcs gently caress.

I wish I could contribute more to this thread, but as of right now I just have two questions. First: Why do the Elves know so much about healing if they never get sick?

And also, I assumed that Frodo's time with the ring is what caused him to become all depressed and leave the Shire to go live with elves. But, I was reading FotR last night and I got to the part where he was recovering in Rivendell after getting stabbed by the Morgul-blade. Gandalf says to his self that not even Elrond can tell what will happen to Frodo in the long term, and that he might end up as clear as glass with a light shining out, and that his arm already looked insubstantial (although he told Frodo he looked just great!). Now I am wondering if it's his wound that caused him to travel off with the Elves. Is there any merit to that?

First one is a pretty interesting question I think. I would guess that it's because they've been spending so much time dealing with the bad stuff that Morgoth and later Sauron have done to the world. Morgoth's influence on the world was sort of like a Pandora's box thing, except without Pandora. He sort of introduced all the nasty brutish things into the world. Since most Elves are buddy buddy with the Vala, and since the Vala are always trying to heal the word of Morgoth's influence, it makes sense that the Elves would also become pretty good at healing poisons, sicknesses, wounds and whatever.

I always thought that Frodo went and crossed the sea because he was a ring-bearer, and that's what ring-bearers did. Explains why Bilbo went as well.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think it was a little of both (in terms of why he wanted to leave), but he was allowed to go specifically because he was the ring bearer (edit: I should say, a ring bearer. Sam is also told that he may one day be allowed to take the ship to the West, because he was a ring bearer for a short time, but now was not the time for that) . At the end of the third book, there's a passage where Sam finds Frodo looking pained, and tells Sam "I am wounded...it will never truly heal" and that was 2 years to the day he was stabbed by the Morgul blade. He was then later ill in March, which was when the main story comes to a head and the ring is finally destroyed.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 29, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
He has recurring pains for a few reasons - one is the morgul blade, one is when the ring was destroyed, and I think one is for Shelob. I could be wrong about Shelob.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Right. I was wondering what Galdalf meant when he said (and I can't quote it exactly right now, I don't have the book handy) that Frodo could end up something like clear glass with a light shining out. It sounded to me that Frodo would end up becoming very wraithlike regardless. Whitch is worse than pains.

But I am probably reading too much into it.

dougie
Dec 28, 2012

I have been a Lord of the Rings geek since being introduced to it as a kid when my dad got me a copy of the Hobbit. I almost wept when I saw it visualised in the movies despite all the annoying omissions and alterations (some perhaps necessary some not). The Silmarilion is incredible but is very difficult to read. Perhaps someone should do like an animated version of it being read, it would be an amazing thing to visualise.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

He has recurring pains for a few reasons - one is the morgul blade, one is when the ring was destroyed, and I think one is for Shelob. I could be wrong about Shelob.

"I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?"

In one of the History of Middle-earth books, Tolkien says that Frodo was permitted to pass over the Sea in part because the Ring had, to some extent or other, overthrown his mind. He did not, after all, relinquish it willingly; it was taken from him by force. He is allowed to go with the elves so that he might find true rest and balance before he dies.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Dregs posted:

Right. I was wondering what Galdalf meant when he said (and I can't quote it exactly right now, I don't have the book handy) that Frodo could end up something like clear glass with a light shining out. It sounded to me that Frodo would end up becoming very wraithlike regardless. Whitch is worse than pains.

But I am probably reading too much into it.

What Gandalf probably means is that Frodo's wound will either make him fade completely and become under the dominion of Sauron, or fade partially and become spiritual and ethereal, which does happen over the course of TT and culminates in "I do not think it will be my part to strike any blow again" at the beginning of ROTK. This creates an interesting contrast between him and Sam, who is able to shake the Ring off because of his concrete, physical nature- he knows that the Ring's visions are ridiculous, and between him and Faramir, who is able to shake the Ring off because of his high-mindedness. Of course, this also plays into the basic moral structure of LOTR. Frodo has to become pacifistic because the book is basically about weakness overcoming strength.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

xcheopis posted:

"I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?"

In one of the History of Middle-earth books, Tolkien says that Frodo was permitted to pass over the Sea in part because the Ring had, to some extent or other, overthrown his mind. He did not, after all, relinquish it willingly; it was taken from him by force. He is allowed to go with the elves so that he might find true rest and balance before he dies.

One side effect of him going West is that he will actually die faster, which helps to prevent him trying to cling on to life like Gollum and Bilbo had.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

rypakal posted:

One side effect of him going West is that he will actually die faster, which helps to prevent him trying to cling on to life like Gollum and Bilbo had.

With the One Ring destroyed, would he have even been able to cling to life? I thought that was a function of the ring. I don't recall how book accurate this is, but Galadrial's narration in the film says that it was the ring itself that granted Gollum "unnatural long life."

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Gollum finds the ring in 2463 and its destroyed in 3019 so he was 556! Id call that long life, not much of a fun one but still.

Its strongly hinted that all the great rings of power provided long life (apart from the 3 never touched by Sauron, and elves never needed that anyway) at the cost of gradually fading into a ghost instead of just dieing.

This of course is a main theme and where the Nazgul came from, they just wanted to live forever, as they were of the most part of the Numenor people who resented not being immortal like the elves.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

With the One Ring destroyed, would he have even been able to cling to life? I thought that was a function of the ring. I don't recall how book accurate this is, but Galadrial's narration in the film says that it was the ring itself that granted Gollum "unnatural long life."

Frodo wasn't unnaturally old, you know.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

xcheopis posted:

Frodo wasn't unnaturally old, you know.

Yeah but I recall descriptions of him saying that he was unnaturally youthful for a hobbit of his age (like 50).

Also, that was one of the strangest things that I ever learned about LotR, that Frodo was like 50 years old. That and Merry and Pippin were like 30 something. I think that the movies made a good decision making them much younger (or at least younger looking).

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Gollum finds the ring in 2463 and its destroyed in 3019 so he was 556! Id call that long life, not much of a fun one but still.

Its strongly hinted that all the great rings of power provided long life (apart from the 3 never touched by Sauron, and elves never needed that anyway) at the cost of gradually fading into a ghost instead of just dieing.

This of course is a main theme and where the Nazgul came from, they just wanted to live forever, as they were of the most part of the Numenor people who resented not being immortal like the elves.

In addition to the example of Gollum, we have the example of Bilbo. Bilbo ages very rapidly, but doesn't age very rapidly and then die. He may have voluntarily let his life go eventually, but a little trip in Valinor would speed the process right along. None of them could permanently cling to life, but they could live long past their natural end of life.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah but I recall descriptions of him saying that he was unnaturally youthful for a hobbit of his age (like 50).

Also, that was one of the strangest things that I ever learned about LotR, that Frodo was like 50 years old. That and Merry and Pippin were like 30 something. I think that the movies made a good decision making them much younger (or at least younger looking).
Im pretty sure he didnt even use the ring at all until Bree, just kept it locked up until Gandalf comes to visit.

Hobbitisess precious are longer lived than normal men, Pippin hadnt even come of age by the time he reached Gondor.

One thing ive always found annoying in the tolkien universe is there is zero description of where and what the hell hobbits are and where they came from. We know all about how elves men and dwarves were made but nothing on hobbits. All we have is some vauge references to where they used to live.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

rypakal posted:

In addition to the example of Gollum, we have the example of Bilbo. Bilbo ages very rapidly, but doesn't age very rapidly and then die. He may have voluntarily let his life go eventually, but a little trip in Valinor would speed the process right along. None of them could permanently cling to life, but they could live long past their natural end of life.

He didn't age rapidly; he "picked up where he left off" after giving up the Ring. He was 129 when the Fellowship set out, so of course he's going to look aged by then.

I don't recall anything in the History volumes about Valinor speeding up the dying process, however.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Im pretty sure he didnt even use the ring at all until Bree, just kept it locked up until Gandalf comes to visit.

Hobbitisess precious are longer lived than normal men, Pippin hadnt even come of age by the time he reached Gondor.

One thing ive always found annoying in the tolkien universe is there is zero description of where and what the hell hobbits are and where they came from. We know all about how elves men and dwarves were made but nothing on hobbits. All we have is some vauge references to where they used to live.

An elf and a dwarf loved each other very much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hobbits are men.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 29, 2013

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

xcheopis posted:

I don't recall anything in the History volumes about Valinor speeding up the dying process, however.
There is some stuff where the elves are trying to convince the Numenoreans to stop being idiots before they just stop visiting altogether where they explain that taking over and living in Valinor would just make them die all the quicker not make them immortal because everything there is immortal. Something like 'your spirits would wane all the quicker'.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Tom Bombadil
BOmBadIL
OBOBIL
BILBO

There's your explanation right there :colbert:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

euphronius posted:

Hobbits are men.

Maybe in your head-canon. Not in mine.

Seaside Loafer posted:

There is some stuff where the elves are trying to convince the Numenoreans to stop being idiots before they just stop visiting altogether where they explain that taking over and living in Valinor would just make them die all the quicker not make them immortal because everything there is immortal. Something like 'your spirits would wane all the quicker'.

From the Akallabeth

"‘The Doom of the World,’ they said, ‘One alone can change who made it. And were you so to voyage that escaping all deceits and snares you came indeed to Aman, the Blessed Realm, little would it profit you. For it is not the land of Manwë that makes its people deathless, but the Deathless that dwell therein have hallowed the land; and there you would but wither and grow weary the sooner, [b]as moths in a light too strong and steadfast[b].’"

Basically, there's too much holy for mortals to endure.

rypakal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 29, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

quote:

It is plain indeed that in spite of later estrangement Hobbits are
relatives of ours: far nearer to us than Elves, or even than Dwarves.
Of old they spoke the languages of Men, after their own fashion,
and liked and disliked much the same things as Men did. But what
exactly our relationship is can no longer be discovered. The be-
ginning of Hobbits lies far back in the Elder Days that are now
lost and forgotten. Only the Elves still preserve any records of
that vanished time, and their traditions are concerned almost en-
tirely with their own history, in which Men appear seldom and
Hobbits are not mentioned at all. Yet it is clear that Hobbits had,
in fact, lived quietly in Middle-earth for many long years before
other folk became even aware of them

So Hobbits "split" from Men in the First Age which was about 5,000 years before the Lord of the Rings.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

rypakal posted:

Basically, there's too much holy for mortals to endure.

I imagine Frodo stepping off the boat and his head suddenly melting Raiders-style.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

euphronius posted:

Hobbits are men.

Yeah, I think Tolkien does briefly go into their possible origins as being an off-shoot of Men. We know they originally dwelt in the Vales of Anduin (that's where Smeagol came from) but I don't recall if it was told when they moved to the Shire.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They aren't dwarves, orcs, or elves, so . . . . Men.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If Elves and Men can diddle each other why not Dwarves and Men? Hence: Hobbits.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elf ~ Man love is really rare and even then the offspring has to choose elf or man.

Each race has a defined and different afterlife. Well orcs don't, but hobbits arent orcs. Races are defined by their afterlife. Hobbits die like Men.

I guess hobbits aren't Ents either.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Is there anything about what might happen to Orcs when they die?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Isn't there something about how Bilbo and Frodo didn't actually go to Valinor, but probably some other place where they chilled with the elves? That's one of those vague things I remember but don't know enough off the top of my head about where to look it up. I thought Valinor was only for the Elves and above and it was pretty much no go for anyone else ever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you thinking of Tol Eressëa?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Levitate posted:

Isn't there something about how Bilbo and Frodo didn't actually go to Valinor, but probably some other place where they chilled with the elves? That's one of those vague things I remember but don't know enough off the top of my head about where to look it up. I thought Valinor was only for the Elves and above and it was pretty much no go for anyone else ever

Bilbo and Frodo were granted special dispensation.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Octy posted:

Is there anything about what might happen to Orcs when they die?

Tolkien never quite fleshed out it out.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

The Dregs posted:

Why do the Elves know so much about healing if they never get sick?

You're conflating healing someone who's "injured" and healing someone who's "sick."

When you're immortal, injuries are potentially forever, so they learn how to deal with them. And when you're kinda magical, you learn to deal with magical injuries (evil spells, etc.). THAT'S the kind of healing we're talking about. It's not like elves have developed the perfect decongestant.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So what audiobook version of The Lord of the Rings do you guys prefer the most? I'm asking because I find myself doing work that... really doesn't need me to pay attention to it.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

rypakal posted:

This is rather the exact oposite of what I took away from traveling west. Folks do not die back west.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elves do not die in Valinor. Men do. Can't stop men from dying. Except for Tuor. But that is a special case.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Don't harsh my mellow. Bilbo and Frodo are there still, chilling with the elves, a full pipe and smoke rings. Damnit.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nutranurse posted:

So what audiobook version of The Lord of the Rings do you guys prefer the most? I'm asking because I find myself doing work that... really doesn't need me to pay attention to it.

There is this one done on youtube and its really really great. Sometimes the sound effects can drown out his voice but everything sounds perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Don't harsh my mellow. Bilbo and Frodo are there still, chilling with the elves, a full pipe and smoke rings. Damnit.

I finally found some textual support for my bald assertions. This passage is the Numenorians talking to the Valar through the Eldar as intermediaries:

quote:

And they said among themselves: ëWhy do the Lords of the West
sit there in peace unending, while we must die and go we know not
whither, leaving our home and all that we have made? And the Eldar die
not, even those that rebelled against the Lords. And since we have mastered
all seas, and no water is so wild or so wide that our ships cannot overcome
it, why should we not go to AvallÛnÎ and greet there our friends?í
And some there were who said: ëWhy should we not go even to
Aman, and taste there, were it but for a day, the bliss of the Powers? Have
we not become mighty among the people of Arda?í
The Eldar reported these words to the Valar, and ManwÎ was
grieved, seeing a cloud gather on the noontide of N ̇menor. And he sent
messengers to the D ̇nedain, who spoke earnestly to the King, and to all
who would listen, concerning the fate and fashion of the world.
ëThe Doom of the World,í they said, ëOne alone can change who
made it. And were you so to voyage that escaping all deceits and snares
you came indeed to Aman, the Blessed Realm, little would it profit you.
For it is not the land of ManwÎ that makes its people deathless, but the
Deathless that dwell therein have hallowed the land; and there you would
but wither and grow weary the sooner, as moths in a light too strong and
steadfast.

Sorry for the pdf artifacts.