Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

No, it's actually the most direct route from Minas Tirith, as well as the path of least resistance. Someone's done an interactive map that I've been referring to, have a look.

That's pretty cool

Data Graham posted:

I don't think it would have occurred to anyone to think of Moria as a path to anywhere, let alone consider it the most direct route.

This is true. I was just bringing it up thinking that the Moira path was the fastest but looking at the map it seems not.

skasion posted:

He took the quickest route available to him, the Greenway, but it’s not very direct, as the land dictates. I don’t think Tolkien anywhere wrote - precise itinerary of Boromir’s journey, just the length overall — 110 days — so it’s hard to say when he got to the vicinity of Rivendell and started seriously looking around. Anyway, the fellowship were on foot for most of the distance to Gondor themselves.

I'd guess he got lost at least a few times. Boromir isn't Aragorn. He probably had little idea where he was going beyond what Denethor advised him. Aragorn might have the Fellowship take a longer route than what Boromir tried to do but Aragorn also wouldn't ever get lost traveling that path. Whereas Boromir might take a direct route but get confused and turned around here and there. Look how much trouble Sam and Frodo were having until Gollum came along. Granted, Boromir probably is a little more experienced at traveling than Frodo/Sam but even so, traveling the wilderness is not going to be very straightforward if you don't know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, now I feel confused. Where exactly did Thorin and his family go while they were in exile, between the Fall of Erebor and the events of the Hobbit?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ered Luin

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Correct. They had a nice mining operation there iirc and were even doing pretty decently wealth-wise. But being Dwarves they never forgot about Smaug and so even though Thorin isn't exactly destitute during the start of the Hobbit he still wants to get his homeland back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So Thráin and Thorin with what remained of their following (among whom were Balin and Glóin) returned to Dunland, and soon afterwards they removed and wandered in Eriador, until at last they made a home in exile in the east of the Ered Luin beyond the Lune. Of iron were most of the things that they forged in those days, but they prospered after a fashion, and their numbers slowly increased. 2 But, as Thrór had said, the Ring needed gold to breed gold, and of that or any other precious metal they had little or none.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hokay, thanks, I remembered there was a specific answer but didn't remember what it was

anyway, ways the world is disappointing me today, #3,587:

Ten years ago whenever I googled a tolkien-related phrase ("Ered Luin") I got a link to glyphweb.com/arda or theonering.net

Now the top result is always to the Lord of the Rings Online Wiki

quote:

Player housing in Ered Luin is provided in two styles:

Dwarf-style: Thorin's Hall Homesteads
Elf-style: Falathlorn Homesteads

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
There's a reason I have Tolkien Gateway as one of my search engine options in Firefox, alongside Wikipedia and IMDb.

Also,

cheetah7071 posted:

The Fellowship also wasted a month in Lorien

A month? I always sort of pictured it as two or three days. This is what I get for not reading closely, or letting childhood impressions go unchallenged.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's an explicit conversation where someone (Sam?) comments that it feels like they spent no time in Lorien at all, because the moon is in the same phase when they leave as when they enter. Someone else (Aragorn?) says it's because they spent an entire month there, but it didn't feel like a month because of the timeless feeling of the place.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

There's an explicit conversation where someone (Sam?) comments that it feels like they spent no time in Lorien at all, because the moon is in the same phase when they leave as when they enter. Someone else (Aragorn?) says it's because they spent an entire month there, but it didn't feel like a month because of the timeless feeling of the place.

As ever, I live to pull out precise quotations when someone does this. They're eight days out of Lorien when Sam realises that the Moon's gone wrong.

quote:

Sam sat tapping the hilt of his sword as if he were counting on his fingers, and looking up at the sky. ‘It’s very strange,’
he murmured. ‘The Moon’s the same in the Shire and in Wilderland, or it ought to be. But either it’s out of its running, or
I’m all wrong in my reckoning. You’ll remember, Mr. Frodo, the Moon was waning as we lay on the flet up in that tree: a week
from the full, I reckon. And we’d been a week on the way last night, when up pops a New Moon as thin as a nail-paring, as
if we had never stayed no time in the Elvish country.

‘Well, I can remember three nights there for certain, and I seem to remember several more, but I would take my oath it was
never a whole month. Anyone would think that time did not count in there!’

‘And perhaps that was the way of it,’ said Frodo. ‘In that land, maybe, we were in a time that has elsewhere long gone by.
It was not, I think, until Silverlode bore us back to Anduin that we returned to the time that flows through mortal lands
to the Great Sea. And I don’t remember any moon, either new or old, in Caras Galadhon: only stars by night and sun by day.’

Legolas stirred in his boat. ‘Nay, time does not tarry ever,’ he said; ‘but change and growth is not in all things and places
alike. For the Elves the world moves, and it moves both very swift and very slow. Swift, because they themselves change little,
and all else fleets by: it is a grief to them. Slow, because they need not count the running years, not for themselves. The
passing seasons are but ripples ever repeated in the long long stream. Yet beneath the Sun all things must wear to an end
at last.’

‘But the wearing is slow in Lórien,’ said Frodo. ‘The power of the Lady is on it. Rich are the hours, though short they seem,
in Caras Galadhon, where Galadriel wields the Elven-ring.’

‘That should not have been said outside Lórien, not even to me,’ said Aragorn. ‘Speak no more of it! But so it is, Sam: in
that land you lost your count. There time flowed swiftly by us, as for the Elves.
The old moon passed, and a new moon waxed and waned in the world outside, while we tarried there. And yestereve a new moon
came again. Winter is nearly gone. Time flows on to a spring of little hope.'

Gee, thanks. Is your house going to be called Telcontar or Debbie Downer?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aragorn spends half the book telling Frodo to shut up about Lore

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
As you might expect of a guy whose mother named him “Hope” and whose girlfriend wouldn’t let him smash until he was king of the entire western world, Aragorn is clinically depressed and frequently complains of his own uncertainty and inadequacy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Aragorn spends half the book telling Frodo to shut up about Lore

Gandalf too. In the case of the Elven rings though he's right. They've all sworn not to speak of them for fear of Sauron finding out who owns them.

It feels like kind of a goofy pact. Surely Sauron strongly suspects that Galadriel and Elrond each have rings. I guess whether Gandalf had a ring or not might be a bit of a mystery to him.

One thing I don't get is why Saruman didn't try to take Gandalf's ring from him. He knew about it at some point, because there's a quote in unfinished tales iirc about Saruman becoming aware of the fact that Cirdan gave Gandalf a ring, and that Saruman became jealous of that. So why didn't he take Narya when he had Gandalf captive?

My explanation is that because Narya was an Elven ring and therefore about preservation, resistance to fatigue inspiring hope in others, etc, then maybe Saruman didn't care for it. Saruman was trying to become a power and something like Narya might not be too much of an aid in that goal. But the problem there is even if that is the case, Saruman would surely have wanted to take Narya from Gandalf if only to deprive Gandalf of it and simultaneously give a middle finger to Galadriel/Elrond.

So...maybe Saruman was so confident in Gandalf coming around to his way of thinking that he didn't bother to try yet? He was at that point fixated purely on the one ring, perhaps even to the point of forgetting about other matters like Gandalf's ring.

Or maybe he knew of it but couldn't take it because he lacked the power to be aware of it? When Galadriel shows Frodo her ring, Sam isn't even able to perceive it. He just sees a star near her finger or something like that. Frodo is able to perceive what it is but only because he has born the one ring and gained its powers of influence and awareness to a degree. But I'd think Saruman as a Maiar would have had the...spiritual awareness for lack of a better phrase to be able to perceive Narya and use it. Maybe it can only be seen and borne by those who have been freely given it and/or by the bearer of the One.

So I dunno.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My take is that that unfinished tale remained unfinished for a reason; if saruman knowing about gandalf's ring was important to the final published version of lotr it probably would have come up. Likely it was an idea that was toyed with and discarded

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The elven-rings had powers of concealment, and Gandalf was no slouch and close to Saruman in power even before his apotheosis and without Narya. Saruman was also overconfident and focused on the wrong priorities.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Gandalf too. In the case of the Elven rings though he's right. They've all sworn not to speak of them for fear of Sauron finding out who owns them.

It feels like kind of a goofy pact. Surely Sauron strongly suspects that Galadriel and Elrond each have rings. I guess whether Gandalf had a ring or not might be a bit of a mystery to him.

One thing I don't get is why Saruman didn't try to take Gandalf's ring from him. He knew about it at some point, because there's a quote in unfinished tales iirc about Saruman becoming aware of the fact that Cirdan gave Gandalf a ring, and that Saruman became jealous of that. So why didn't he take Narya when he had Gandalf captive?

My explanation is that because Narya was an Elven ring and therefore about preservation, resistance to fatigue inspiring hope in others, etc, then maybe Saruman didn't care for it. Saruman was trying to become a power and something like Narya might not be too much of an aid in that goal. But the problem there is even if that is the case, Saruman would surely have wanted to take Narya from Gandalf if only to deprive Gandalf of it and simultaneously give a middle finger to Galadriel/Elrond.

So...maybe Saruman was so confident in Gandalf coming around to his way of thinking that he didn't bother to try yet? He was at that point fixated purely on the one ring, perhaps even to the point of forgetting about other matters like Gandalf's ring.

Or maybe he knew of it but couldn't take it because he lacked the power to be aware of it? When Galadriel shows Frodo her ring, Sam isn't even able to perceive it. He just sees a star near her finger or something like that. Frodo is able to perceive what it is but only because he has born the one ring and gained its powers of influence and awareness to a degree. But I'd think Saruman as a Maiar would have had the...spiritual awareness for lack of a better phrase to be able to perceive Narya and use it. Maybe it can only be seen and borne by those who have been freely given it and/or by the bearer of the One.

So I dunno.

Regardless Saruman would have told him if he didn’t know.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Saruman explicitly wants to rob Sauron and take the One for himself, hence everything e does in Fellowship, and that means that taking any of the other rings of power is a bad idea. If Sauron beats him to the punch and gets the ring back then having an elven ring will lay his will open to that of the ring-lord. Even if he doesn’t get the ring back, wearing a ring will require a mental struggle with Sauron, like that which Galadriel describes, to keep himself from Sauron’s influence.

More than that, Saruman very likely had his own ring of power which he had made and which he actively wore. Read the bit at the council where Gandalf describes their confrontation at Isengard:

quote:

“But I rode to the foot of Orthanc, and came to the stair of Saruman; and there he met me and led me up to his high chamber. He wore a ring on his finger.”

[...]

“For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!”

Just to tide himself over till he got his hands on the One, I guess.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd guess he got lost at least a few times. Boromir isn't Aragorn. He probably had little idea where he was going beyond what Denethor advised him. Aragorn might have the Fellowship take a longer route than what Boromir tried to do but Aragorn also wouldn't ever get lost traveling that path. Whereas Boromir might take a direct route but get confused and turned around here and there. Look how much trouble Sam and Frodo were having until Gollum came along. Granted, Boromir probably is a little more experienced at traveling than Frodo/Sam but even so, traveling the wilderness is not going to be very straightforward if you don't know what you're doing.

He lost his horse fording the Greyflood at Tharbad, though I can't remember offhand if we're told that in LotR or Unfinished Tales.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s the former. Searching that found me something I had totally forgotten, Boromir’s own account of his trip from Minas Tirith to Galadriel and Celeborn:

quote:

”I have myself been at whiles in Rohan, but I have never crossed it northwards. When I was sent out as a messenger, I passed through the Gap by the skirts of the White Mountains, and crossed the Isen and the Greyflood into Northerland. A long and wearisome journey. Four hundred leagues I reckoned it, and it took me many months; for I lost my horse at Tharbad, at the fording of the Greyflood. After that journey, and the road I have trodden with this Company, I do not much doubt that I shall find a way through Rohan, and Fangorn too, if need be.”

This also reminds me that Theoden actually laments Boromir after Gandalf disenchants him: reasonable enough, since Boromir must have passed through Edoras and is after all some kind of distant cousin of Theoden’s through their mothers’ family, the House of Dol Amroth.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 19, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Saruman explicitly wants to rob Sauron and take the One for himself, hence everything e does in Fellowship, and that means that taking any of the other rings of power is a bad idea. If Sauron beats him to the punch and gets the ring back then having an elven ring will lay his will open to that of the ring-lord. Even if he doesn’t get the ring back, wearing a ring will require a mental struggle with Sauron, like that which Galadriel describes, to keep himself from Sauron’s influence.

More than that, Saruman very likely had his own ring of power which he had made and which he actively wore. Read the bit at the council where Gandalf describes their confrontation at Isengard:

Just to tide himself over till he got his hands on the One, I guess.

That's a good point. But still doesn't entirely answer why he wouldn't just take it from Gandalf and fling it into a ravine out of spite or something. Or even deliver it directly to Sauron as proof of loyalty. Therefore I'll have to assume that:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The elven-rings had powers of concealment, and Gandalf was no slouch and close to Saruman in power even before his apotheosis and without Narya. Saruman was also overconfident and focused on the wrong priorities.

Can't take what you don't know Gandalf has I suppose.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The possibility of Gandalf still wearing a ring when Saruman takes the One and becomes ringlord would, I think, appeal profoundly to Saruman. Call it hubris.

Alternative, boring rear end answer: the idea of Gandalf having a ring is a compositional anachronism that wouldn’t enter in till years after the passage was written and was subsequently missed in revision.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

The possibility of Gandalf still wearing a ring when Saruman takes the One and becomes ringlord would, I think, appeal profoundly to Saruman. Call it hubris.

Alternative, boring rear end answer: the idea of Gandalf having a ring is a compositional anachronism that wouldn’t enter in till years after the passage was written and was subsequently missed in revision.

That's true. I could see Saruman wanting to torture Gandalf by ruling over him with the One.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wizard battle in the movies. :dance: or :negative:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

I'd doubt that without supporting documentation. There are too many different points of reference of Gandalf as an especial expert with fire.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean those date back to the Hobbit when the idea of rings of power didn't even exist. Gandalf was a fire master before he was a ringbearer. He might be a fire user due to Narya in the final version but it can still result in compositional anachronisms

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I'd doubt that without supporting documentation. There are too many different points of reference of Gandalf as an especial expert with fire.

I don't know if Tolkien originally envisioned that as being tied to Narya. When he wrote The Hobbit he didn't even have all the ring lore decided, did he?

It was most likely at some point added as an explanation for Gandalf's affinity for flame although given Saruman naturally has powers of persuasion and Sauron can shapeshift etc it stands to reason that most Maiar have innate abilities to do certain supernatural things anyways with those things varying depending on the Maiar.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean those date back to the Hobbit when the idea of rings of power didn't even exist. Gandalf was a fire master before he was a ringbearer. He might be a fire user due to Narya in the final version but it can still result in compositional anachronisms

Sure, yeah, but the numerous references and passing implications (Gandalf's inspiring of everyone's spirit during the Seige of Minas Tirith, etc.) speak to a general level of attention to detail on that point. I don't think Gandalf's Ring-bearing was something Tolkien forgot about.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know if Tolkien originally envisioned that as being tied to Narya. When he wrote The Hobbit he didn't even have all the ring lore decided, did he?

It was most likely at some point added as an explanation for Gandalf's affinity for flame although given Saruman naturally has powers of persuasion and Sauron can shapeshift etc it stands to reason that most Maiar have innate abilities to do certain supernatural things anyways with those things varying depending on the Maiar.

The hobbit wasn’t even part of The Silmarilion world when he wrote it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

The hobbit wasn’t even part of The Silmarilion world when he wrote it.

~ish. It still had references to the larger cosmology (Glamdring and Orcrist).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were recycled in. For example the Arkenstone is a Silmaril and Mirkwood is Doriath. He didn’t make the decision to set the stories in the Silmarillion world until he was writing LOTR and got to Weathertop when Aragorn tells some stories.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gandalf’s sword really isn’t from Gondolin. That’s ridiculous.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Aragorn's summary of Beren and Luthien is interesting to me because it's presumably what Tolkien considered to be the important parts of the story but it's pretty wildly different from the parts I care about--Aragorn doesn't mention the magic talking dog even once

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gandalf’s expertise with fire and fireworks dates back to the earliest versions of The Hobbit, at which point neither the One nor the elven-rings nor the notion of a Ring of Fire specifically had ever entered Tolkien’s mind. Indeed his earliest conception was of elven rings of “earth, sea and sky” (Return of the Shadow p. 269 my copy). Galadriel’s ring was in the first version of her chapters the Ring of Earth — I mention this only to point out that the conception didn’t involve a ring of fire at a time after the writing of the Council of Elrond (Treason of Isengard p. 252). So far as I am aware no mention is made of Gandalf having an elvish ring until the drafting of “The Grey Havens” (Sauron Defeated p. 109) and even then the idea that it is specifically a red ring or ring of fire doesn’t immediately come to the fore. This is in fact the only place I can think of in the published text of LOTR that refers to Gandalf’s ring at all, or for that matter Elrond’s.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

They were recycled in. For example the Arkenstone is a Silmaril and Mirkwood is Doriath. He didn’t make the decision to set the stories in the Silmarillion world until he was writing LOTR and got to Weathertop when Aragorn tells some stories.

euphronius posted:

It's tempting to draw a clear line of inclusion at Weathertop but I think that's a much more binary description of the decision than is really merited. That's when it became conscious and overt, sure, but if on some level he hadn't been planning it that way all along, it never would have worked. It all fits together with relatively few seams because he was writing it that way long before already.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s fair.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

euphronius posted:

why would gandalf lie about it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It's tempting to draw a clear line of inclusion at Weathertop but I think that's a much more binary description of the decision than is really merited. That's when it became conscious and overt, sure, but if on some level he hadn't been planning it that way all along, it never would have worked. It all fits together with relatively few seams because he was writing it that way long before already.

Or rather, it doesn't all fit together because there was by no means a single unified "Silmarillion" in perfect agreement with itself when he wrote LOTR, or, for that matter, at any point. The obvious antidote to the assumption that the tale of Tinuviel suddenly irrevocably changes everything is motherfucking Glorfindel, who simply and impossibly appears almost immediately after that passage when Tolkien knows drat well that he should be dead in a pit somewhere! Of course he would then go on to tie himself in knots making consistency out of this after it was published, culminating in enormous discourses between the gods that he wrote to flesh out his own personal opinion on whether elves could reincarnate or whatever.

Flipping through Treason of Isengard makes it clear that Tolkien was, while writing LOTR, actively experimenting with a number of ways in which it could be tied to the older material: for example the idea of the elven-rings being linked to Earth (later Fire), Sea, and Sky, paralleling the fates of the three Silmarils as per the Annals of Beleriand at that time, came in at a time when Tolkien was attempting to explain the Rings as having been made by Feanor and stolen away to Middle-earth by Melkor, who had made the One – that is to say, they completely usurped the Silmarils right out of the Silmarillion.

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 19, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

why would gandalf lie about it

He isn’t but that wasn’t the same Gondolin as it would become later. Or earlier. Or retconned from a previous unpublished story.

The sword isn’t from a first age Beleriand city sacked by Balrogs. That’s ridiculous.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Gandalf got Glamdring centuries ago from a much more sensible source and every time he needs to impress a new set of adventurers he "finds" it again along with some other Gondolin goodies to hand out

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

He isn’t but that wasn’t the same Gondolin as it would become later. Or earlier. Or retconned from a previous unpublished story.

The sword isn’t from a first age Beleriand city sacked by Balrogs. That’s ridiculous.

Look, they just rolled 100 on the loot table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gondolin had a thriving sweatshop industry dedicated to making decorative swords for export to the lower classes in the East.