Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Probably more "forced out of their way" rather than killed (though obviously that might involve killing, if necessary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Drakyn posted:

We already saw that with the whole Sam-taking-a-step-that's-the-farthest-from-home-he's-ever-been cut, but sadly it appears to have been DMCA'd.
This news makes me very sad. It's not like it replaces a legitimate watch of the movie, it was what, adding seven hours or something?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
People were obviously watching that instead of buying the new 4K Blu-rays

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This news makes me very sad. It's not like it replaces a legitimate watch of the movie, it was what, adding seven hours or something?

Likely auto removed by their algorithm modding.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Ride down" is absolutely a UK English synonym for trample.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It took me many readings before I understood what the inflection of "you put his back up, being so high and mighty" should be.

Was it "you put HIS back up", like his "something" had fallen off a shelf and you put it back up there?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's "you put his BACK up," like a cat becoming defensive and arching its back, I'd have said.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that what the expression comes from?

E: VV Yeah that was my mental image once I got the gist of it.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 4, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I always read that phrase as leaving out an unspoken "... against the wall", e.g. "you put his back up against the wall" i.e. "you left him no choice".

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 4, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Winifred Madgers posted:

It's "you put his BACK up," like a cat becoming defensive and arching its back, I'd have said.

Yeah it’s this

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I’ve never considered it as originating from cat or animal behaviour, but that makes total sense. And yes, the phrase “got my/your/their back up” is a fairly common idiom meaning to be defensive, whether taking offence at a denigrating comment, defending your favourite art or whatever. I’m not English but I would’ve thought is a common with phrase?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well it wasn't something I encountered in any other context until I read other stuff around college age, so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've always just read that as made him mad to the point that he started stretching up his full height and standing straight, like a policeman or military officer trying to be intimidating.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some quick searching suggests "to have one's hackles up" as a similar idiom, hackles being the hair on a dog's neck and shoulders that stands on end when they're aggressive or fearful. It's not just cats that do that. If you've got your hackles up, figuratively you're defensive and touchy and spoiling for a fight, and I think it seems likely (without doing any further research) that "back" just dropped nicely into the sentence to replace "hackles".

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've always just read that as made him mad to the point that he started stretching up his full height and standing straight, like a policeman or military officer trying to be intimidating.

webmeister posted:

I’ve never considered it as originating from cat or animal behaviour, but that makes total sense. And yes, the phrase “got my/your/their back up” is a fairly common idiom meaning to be defensive, whether taking offence at a denigrating comment, defending your favourite art or whatever. I’m not English but I would’ve thought is a common with phrase?

It's these, and "to ride someone down" is 100% attempting to squash them with a horse. It would be ambiguous wrt how successful it is imo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If there’s any language in Tolkien’s writing that I don’t quite understand I just assume I’m simply not smart enough.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My favorite idea from the Proftolkien podcast is that every hyphenated compound noun in the LOtR is a translation of a Westron idiomatic expression

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

riding down i believe implies intent. I can trample someone with my horse via carelessness, like how i gallop through Saint Denis in rdr2 and inevitably kill some poor schmuck. Riding down is more what happens when cavalry chases fleeing soldiers, riding them down and killing them either directly with the horse, or with a lance/sword. in the context of the discussed quote, it implies they either trample or simply kill them as they pass them by. The movie shows it well with the one Ringwraith that murks that guy with the lantern.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

euphronius posted:

My favorite idea from the Proftolkien podcast is that every hyphenated compound noun in the LOtR is a translation of a Westron idiomatic expression

I'm not sure if there are any counterexamples, but it sure has put me on alert for whenever someone writes "Middle Earth" instead of "Middle-earth"

E: or "Barrow Wight", leading to people thinking "wight" on its own means some kind of demon and the "barrow" part is just some obscure adjective, instead of "barrow-wight" specifically meaning "graveman"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 4, 2022

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure if there are any counterexamples, but it sure has put me on alert for whenever someone writes "Middle Earth" instead of "Middle-earth"

E: or "Barrow Wight", leading to people thinking "wight" on its own means some kind of demon and the "barrow" part is just some obscure adjective, instead of "barrow-wight" specifically meaning "graveman"

I was bothered by a line on my recent listen: "They are Elvish wights. Let them go where they belong, into the dark places, and never return. The times are evil enough.", spoken of the Grey Company as they were headed up to the Paths of the Dead. It doesn't make sense for the men in Dunharrow who spoke it to mean "They are Elvish men"; they're clearly investing the word with the same sort of death connotations as barrow-wight.

It seems that Tolkien may have actually intended "wight" to mean not just a man but an uncanny man; a quick search shows that in Old Saxon, wiht means "thing, demon", and that other related languages have similar meanings: https://www.etymonline.com/word/wight

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Old English wiht is less like “person” than “being”. The OE word that means “person” is man. Grendel is a wight: “wiht unhælo, grim ond grædig”.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was bothered by a line on my recent listen: "They are Elvish wights. Let them go where they belong, into the dark places, and never return. The times are evil enough.", spoken of the Grey Company as they were headed up to the Paths of the Dead. It doesn't make sense for the men in Dunharrow who spoke it to mean "They are Elvish men"; they're clearly investing the word with the same sort of death connotations as barrow-wight.

It seems that Tolkien may have actually intended "wight" to mean not just a man but an uncanny man; a quick search shows that in Old Saxon, wiht means "thing, demon", and that other related languages have similar meanings: https://www.etymonline.com/word/wight

They are not elves (well other than Legolas) but they are dressed in elven clothing and have elven friends and are known to hang out in elven lands. They're about as elvish as it gets without actually being elves so I can kinda get men being like "eh gently caress em they're behaving like weirdo elves gg we'll never see them again"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have to think Tolkien intended the reading of that line to be "They are Elvish wights" rather than "they are Elvish wights" (which is how any modern reader would see it).

Like "They are Elvish folk *wiggly finger motions*. Get them the gently caress outta here"

(Not that I'm not going to take the "uncanny man" reading more into consideration though, thanks for that, I don't want to go overboard)

Emphasis is weird. There was that other thing the Tolkien Prof stumbled across where he was like "If we don't find any food then I shall become a wraith!" And the usual way people read it is to emphasize WRAITH, like he's saying "Lol you know what I'll do? I'll become a WRAITH! Bet you won't see that coming, hahaa!"

But his theory was that it was supposed to read "then I SHALL become a wraith!" as a callback to the ominous threat of the Morgul-wound and how that's what it will cause in him if he can't get it taken care of. But the text doesn't pick out stress like that, usually.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 4, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

I have to think Tolkien intended the reading of that line to be "They are Elvish wights" rather than "they are Elvish wights" (which is how any modern reader would see it).

Like "They are Elvish folk *wiggly finger motions*. Get them the gently caress outta here"

Yeah, I read "Elvish" as being used like "fey" or "doomed" for Rohirrim. Bear in mind they're pretty dubious about Elves/Lorien/etc.

Data Graham posted:

Emphasis is weird. There was that other thing the Tolkien Prof stumbled across where he was like "If we don't find any food then I shall become a wraith!" And the usual way people read it is to emphasize WRAITH, like he's saying "Lol you know what I'll do? I'll become a WRAITH! Bet you won't see that coming, hahaa!"

But his theory was that it was supposed to read "then I SHALL become a wraith!" as a callback to the ominous threat of the Morgul-wound and how that's what it will cause in him if he can't get it taken care of. But the text doesn't pick out stress like that, usually.

I like that interpretation!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The “become a wraith” thing is foreshadowing more than a callback. Frodo hasn’t been stabbed yet when he says that, he’s bitching about the lack of food supplies on the approach to Weathertop. He’s already been introduced to the idea that you can become a wraith if you have a ring, though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like it when Strider tells him to not say poo poo like that super seriously. Another bit of foreshadowing of his character's future.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah right, but they’ve been told about the long-term effects of the Ring and what it can do to people like Bilbo and Frodo and the Nazgûl, right?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Ah right, but they’ve been told about the long-term effects of the Ring and what it can do to people like Bilbo and Frodo and the Nazgûl, right?

Gandalf has told him briefly about the Ringwraiths, though Frodo hasn’t yet made the connection between Ringwraiths and black riders. (This is only explained at Rivendell). But he told him at length what happens to mortals who hold on to rings of power—without using the word “wraith”, but he does imply that he’ll become an invisible cursed spirit which is pretty close to the point.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I like it when Strider tells him to not say poo poo like that super seriously. Another bit of foreshadowing of his character's future.

Yeah. Weirdly, Strider’s aversion to mention of Mordor started out from quite a different direction; back in the early drafts when he was still a hobbit, he had PTSD because the Nazgul had tortured him and cut his feet off.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

skasion posted:

the Nazgul had tortured him and cut his feet off.

Wow, Strider is a super lovely nickname to give someone with no feet

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

Proclamations and oaths have power and the Stride man knows it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Gandalf has told him briefly about the Ringwraiths, though Frodo hasn’t yet made the connection between Ringwraiths and black riders. (This is only explained at Rivendell). But he told him at length what happens to mortals who hold on to rings of power—without using the word “wraith”, but he does imply that he’ll become an invisible cursed spirit which is pretty close to the point.

Yeah. Weirdly, Strider’s aversion to mention of Mordor started out from quite a different direction; back in the early drafts when he was still a hobbit, he had PTSD because the Nazgul had tortured him and cut his feet off.

Excuse me what.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

webmeister posted:

That's why he was Trotter back then

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

webmeister posted:

He was called Trotter then, because of his wooden feet.

No, seriously.

… efb :eng99:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The reason Aragorn doesn’t contribute on Caradhras is because when that part was first written he was still a little guy with wood feet

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

had tolkien mentioned if trotter had attached squirrels to his clog feet as faux hobbit hair?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I wonder if he could pass as a Man with longer legs and sufficiently concealing clothes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1478522541283151880

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

YaketySass posted:

I wonder if he could pass as a Man with longer legs and sufficiently concealing clothes.

And getting a job as the kooky teacher of the usurper king's nephew, the rightful prince

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My new criticism about the movies: when Gimli tells Legolas that Galadriel gave him three hairs, Legolas should've shitted himself and then ran off to Bree to start a new life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He should have gone "ooooh snap" and started pissing himself laughing at Fëanor getting upstaged by a Dwarf.