Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
My favourite Middle Earth books

I love me some maps.

I was one of those geeky kids who read LOTR every year. Fellowship is my favourite. I'm not particularly into lore and language in terms of the people of Middle Earth, but I love the landscape and buildings and scale of it all.

I was well into the Middle Earth Role Playing Game as it tried to capture that and... once again, lots of maps. These teo were my favourites as they had more detail about Dol Guldur and the Black Gates respectively.

I love the films as well. I know some people who are into the lore are bothered by them because of the changes. But for me they it's still the setting and I think the film captures the scale of Middle Earth as well as the whole world-in-decline vibe perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whether you'll enjoy the Silmarillion depends a lot on how much patience you have for its style. Some people (myself included) are bonkers for it. Others can't get past page 10.

If you find yourself bogging down at all, try interspersing chapters of the Silmarillion proper with the Better Myths version of it.

http://bettermyths.com/category/mythos/silmarillion/

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Data Graham posted:

Whether you'll enjoy the Silmarillion depends a lot on how much patience you have for its style. Some people (myself included) are bonkers for it. Others can't get past page 10.

If you find yourself bogging down at all, try interspersing chapters of the Silmarillion proper with the Better Myths version of it.

http://bettermyths.com/category/mythos/silmarillion/

The Silmarillion was actually more enjoyable for me than LoTR. I'm a huge mythology nerd though, so my experience is probably not typical.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad is a loving fantastic book and is amazing to read. It's not just the maps you find in the front pages of each book, it's very detailed and well researched. There's plain old maps that show you terrain features and whatever, but then there's maps that show you the paths (or possible paths) taken by characters and groups of characters, it shows maps of weather patterns, languages, it has very detailed maps of settlements or important locations like Helms Deep or Cirith Ungol, and it's even got maps that describe the important battles and the forces involved and the various movements of the armies during each battle. The book contains information on pretty much everything ever in the world of LotR, not just from the trilogy but from the Hobbit and from the Silmarillion as well, describing Beleriand in really great detail.

All of this stuff is referenced back to the actual books themselves, it's awesome.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I originally read the books in Spanish (my first language), and now I want to read them again in English. What edition should I get? (I'd like a rather "fancy" edition instead of regular paperbacks)

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
This was the one I got:
Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition Hardcover

It's not as oversized as the Illustrated Edition, but has a nice heft to it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Having the Atlas of Middle-Earth on hand while reading The Silmarillion has actually made reading it bearable because I can get an idea of where the gently caress places are, what regions are ruled by what people, what people are doing during a big battle, etc.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

pixelbaron posted:

Having the Atlas of Middle-Earth on hand while reading The Silmarillion has actually made reading it bearable because I can get an idea of where the gently caress places are, what regions are ruled by what people, what people are doing during a big battle, etc.

That's funny, my copy of the Silmarillion had both a regular map and a map showing the rulers of the areas of beleriand.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Mine has a map in the back but that starts to become a pain in the rear end to flip to and it doesn't show who rules what.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Reading the Silmarillion is bearable because it's awesome :colbert:

(I guess I've just never let myself get bogged down in details if it took checking maps and all that stuff to get it to come together, I'd just kind of move on. Not great for scholarly study or something but good for entertainment)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Having that atlas book handy does make reading the books a lot more fun though, I agree.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I've always wondered about the Balrog in Moria. Why is it hanging around in there? Is it explained anywhere why it doesnt just bust out of Moria and join up with Sauron?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were servants of melkor not sauron. He probably had his own ideas about he wanted to do.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Its motivations are left unexplained, but I imagine it would have wanted to remain hidden for fear of the Valar and their servants. Gandalf, after all, was but one of the the five Istari sent to Middle Earth, and several powerful Noldor yet remained.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Maybe it just had too much fun playing Dungeon Keeper against the dwarves.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was probably asleep for most of those years (like five thousand years).

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Thanks for the answers. I guess it makes sense that the balrog is hiding in Mora.
While I'm at it, another question: For those of you who have read unfinished tales, Does it offer any more information on the witch-king's war with Arnor?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I got the revised edition of the atlas of middle earth for Christmas! This book is so cool. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

GyverMac posted:

Thanks for the answers. I guess it makes sense that the balrog is hiding in Mora.
While I'm at it, another question: For those of you who have read unfinished tales, Does it offer any more information on the witch-king's war with Arnor?

I read it but I don't remember, I'll try to check when I get home but I think at the most it probably just gives some sketchy general information

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think most of the info for Angmar is from the Silmarillion. Of course LOTR online I think does a lot with Angmar.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have a question: Waaaay back when I first read the Hobbit, I remember thinking their must of been some previous incident in Bilbo's past that set him apart in Gandalf's mind. Which is why he then recommended him to Thorin in the first place, and why everyone keeps calling him a burglar.

Am I correct? Or am I giving Tolkien too much credit/mis-interpreting his themes?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bilbo is related to that one Took who could ride a horse and knocked the head off a goblin chief's head in a battles one time. He's got some of that Took blood in him and Gandalf can tell. All the poo poo that Bilbo pulls off in The Hobbit shows that Gandalf weasel right.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
The reason everyone keeps calling Bilbo a burglar is because Thorin wanted to hire one and Gandalf got him to go for Bilbo by scratching a sign meaning "yo, burglar for hire" into Bilbo's door without telling anyone. It's just what his role in the party is supposed to be.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah Bilbo was a bit unusual for a Hobbit in that I believe he did things like go for walks outside of the Shire and fantasize about having adventures, but really didn't do much beyond having some bloodlines to some famous hobbits.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone written any good books or stories set in Tolkien's legendarium? I know none will ever be half as good as his own work, and I probably wouldn't want to settle for any less but possibly there's one or two that are ok?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chris Tolkien has the poo poo locked down man. That isn't going to happen (other than Chris's stuff).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

concerned mom posted:

Has anyone written any good books or stories set in Tolkien's legendarium? I know none will ever be half as good as his own work, and I probably wouldn't want to settle for any less but possibly there's one or two that are ok?

:can:Terry Brooks:can:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Did Christopher Tolkien actually write anything at all that wasn't basically just editing his fathers notes?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Levitate posted:

Did Christopher Tolkien actually write anything at all that wasn't basically just editing his fathers notes?

I don't think so.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He has not been the only author listed on his JRRT work but his "editing" consists of a lot of writing, which was my point.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SirPhoebos posted:

I have a question: Waaaay back when I first read the Hobbit, I remember thinking their must of been some previous incident in Bilbo's past that set him apart in Gandalf's mind. Which is why he then recommended him to Thorin in the first place, and why everyone keeps calling him a burglar.

Am I correct? Or am I giving Tolkien too much credit/mis-interpreting his themes?

One of the earlier books in The History of Middle-Earth (The Book of Lost Tales perhaps?) goes into this briefly. In essence, it was originally an impulse on Gandalf's part, and one which left him greatly troubled when he later thought upon it. Gandalf later came to believe that the idea was put into his mind by the Valar (most likely Manwe), or possibly even Illuvatar

My memory of the passage is sketchy, however, so anyone else: feel free to correct me.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ynglaur posted:

One of the earlier books in The History of Middle-Earth (The Book of Lost Tales perhaps?) goes into this briefly. In essence, it was originally an impulse on Gandalf's part, and one which left him greatly troubled when he later thought upon it. Gandalf later came to believe that the idea was put into his mind by the Valar (most likely Manwe), or possibly even Illuvatar

My memory of the passage is sketchy, however, so anyone else: feel free to correct me.
Suuure, Gandalf. God made you do it. Had nothing to do with kicking Bilbo out of his rut because you thought it'd be funny.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Bilbo is related to that one Took who could ride a horse and knocked the head off a goblin chief's head in a battles one time. He's got some of that Took blood in him and Gandalf can tell. All the poo poo that Bilbo pulls off in The Hobbit shows that Gandalf weasel right.

But then why not refer Thorin to an actual Took (like I dunno, Pippen's dad?)

^^So it was basically his Plot Sense tingling?^^

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
One of Tolkien's drafts from Unfinished Tales also suggests that it was part of his bigger purpose in uniting Middle Earth, making Hobbits more aware of what was going on in the world in order to help them fight Sauron in their own way when he would eventually return. He just got the idea out of nowhere and suddenly realized it was important as gently caress that Bilbo would go along. Basically Tolkien's tl;dr for "it was destiny".

SirPhoebos posted:

But then why not refer Thorin to an actual Took (like I dunno, Pippen's dad?)

He wanted someone based in a more "stable" family like Baggins. Plus he had already known Bilbo for a while, and to his neighbors Bilbo was this loving weirdo who was already occasionally meeting dwarves and elves who were passing through the Shire.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Plot Sense

i.e. the will of Iluvatar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A funny fan theory posits that Bilbo's mother was quite the adventurous person, and might have gone on similar adventures with Gandalf.

Personally, I don't think there's anything against it in the text, and I find it kind of funny, so I'll accept it until proven otherwise.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Levitate posted:

If only Christopher Tolkien had the artistic integrity to give the fans what they want, like Brian Herbert...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

If only Christopher Tolkien had the artistic integrity to give the fans what they want, like Brian Herbert...

At least if he did, he'd probably be teaming up with Guy Gavriel Kay, who is awesome and a wonderful author in his own right, rather than Kevin J. Anderson...

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think he's done a good job really. It would be so easy to sell it all to coca cola but he seems like he's actually interested in it from a scholarly perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah Middle Earth as an "extended universe" work of fiction would be terrible. Tolkien wrote the history up to and through the LoTR and after that is more or less left to the idea of "the age of man comes and eventually it becomes our world because all those other races gently caress off and we never hear from them again"

Also that this was all written and published back in the day probably helps keep that stuff from happening