Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Book series being taken over by others after the original author's death sometimes kindasorta work, usually don't, and almost never retain the same feel. Ruth Plumly Thompson amirite?

Dune. Someone needs to stop Kevin J Anderson from writing any more bad books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Dune is especially ridiculous - the KJA/Brian Herbert books outnumber the original Frank Herbert ones 2:1.

With more on the way. And all of them are terrible.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Rime posted:

What the gently caress is left to write?!?!?

But...but they already covered all that ground during the loving horrible original titan series. They're just going to go back and re-write their existing trashy fanfiction? How does Herbert sleep at night? :psyduck:

See by letting KJA dictahike* out a book a year and slapping the DUNE name on the cover the whole extended Herbert clan gets a paycheck. One day they may even get that blockbuster movie adaptation paycheck and life the good life.

To be honest, after listening to Brian talk and reading about the odd family dynamics in Dreamer of Dune, getting mad at Brian kinda feels like kicking a puppy. Brian is NOT a good interview: https://vimeo.com/34545393. After 10s of the video, hearing him say that he 'does not fly' is completely unsurprising.

From Dreamer of Dune, Frank had a complicated relationship with his kids, Brian turned into an alcoholic and had a shotgun wedding in college. Second son Bruce was gay, which caused a rift with Frank. After Dune is successful and Frank stops bouncing from job to job, his wife is diagnosed with cancer. And then Frank dies of cancer two years after his wife does, leaving Dune 7 unwritten. And then Brian and Kevin embark on their prequel writing and miraculously find a horde of notes and Dune 7 outline that Frank didn't send off to the Fullerton Archive with the rest of his papers.

You really have to admire Christopher Tolkien and the way the Tolkien estate has been handled. It's bizarre seeing fairly similar series going in opposite directions.

*Seriously, KJA claims to write all his books by dictation while hiking. It explain so much.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Haha, fairly similar series?

Both authors had one major genera-defining literary success, an epic spanning multiple books, received to great acclaim in the 60's. Both die with a few years of each other and their estates falls to sons. One son curates the The Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin, Unfinished Tales, etc. The other cedes creative control to Kevin J Anderson to churn out a book a year and leaves his father's notes moldering in an university archive.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Sorry for the derail, but did Frank actually send any notes related to Dune 7 to the archives, and are they publicly available? Because I've been going on the theory that the Dune 7 notes were either brief and sketchy or an outright fabrication, which Brian spun into a dozen books.

People have gone through the Frank Herbert Archive at Cal State Fullerton and looked at everything. Lots of interesting stuff, but no Dune 7 notes. Its kinda inconvenient to search, you need to go to the CSF library during weekday hours to look around and the boxes aren't the best organized.

Brian supposedly found the Dune 7 stuff years later (either a pile of notes or a couple of floppy disks, the story kinda shifts). Coincidentally, the notes were found right after KJA and Brian started their prequel project. Regardless, the consensus is that the notes were most likely very brief and certainly did not include the robot characters that Brian and KJA made up in order to write prequel books about. Since they were wholly made up decades after Frank died.

Contrast to Christopher Tolkien's handling of the estate.

/okay derail over.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

After seeing the last Hobbit movie, I'm happy that there aren't going to be any new Tolkien movies for a while.

Yeah.

And when's the last time you saw a modern opera or modern non-musical stage production? Source material is great, but the neither medium is in great shape right now.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Pretty entertaining action blockbuster movies

Do not convey the themes and ideas of the novel 'The Hobbit' very well

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I still want to see Gandalf with eyebrows reaching to the brim of his hat.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That and Lobelia's umbrella. You don't notice either because the hobbits otherwise feel so Edwardian.

What's wrong with umbrellas? If the Chinese could make them in 600 BC Hobbits surely could make one.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
A more extensive list of contronyms:

sanction means "to allow" and "to prohibit (or punish)"

cleave means "to join" (as in "cleave unto") and "to separate or divide"

clip means "to attach" and "to separate" (sure looks like clip is a cognate of cleave, doesn't it?)

inoculate means "to protect against" and "to infect with"

cull means "to select" and "to reject"

alight means "to settle onto" and "to dismount from"

went off means "to start" and "to stop" (the alarm ~ when the light ~)

off means "inside of" and "outside of" (we compress the data ~ the camera)

fix means "a solution" and "a problem" (also fixed)

cool means "supportive of" and "opposed to" (he was "cool with" the idea; he was "cool to" the idea); sort of a slang usage

public means both "public (free)" (in American English) and "private (fee-based)" (in British English)

ravel means "to entangle" and "to disentangle" (as does unravel!)
[contributed by Tamara Munzner]

screen means "to display" (~ a movie) and "to hide" (~ his view)
[contributed by Krishnan Sriram]

protest means "to object" and "to affirm" (also, protestations)
[contributed by Ron Slavecki]

cork means "to take out" and "to insert" a cork from a bottle
[contributed by David Miller]

oversight means a kind of error, and a kind of prevention from error
[contributed by Matt Ross]

trim means "to remove from" (~ the tree) and "to add to" (~ the Christmas tree)
[contributed by Dick Stadler]

enjoin means "to direct" and "to forbid"
[contributed by Jonathan King]

dust means "to remove from" (~ the table) and "to add to" (~ the cake)
[contributed by Susan Ramage]

clip means "to partition" (~ the paper) and "to join" (~ the papers)
[contributed by Sidney Pestka]

secrete means "to give off" and "to conceal"
[contributed by Matt Antone]

rent means "to grant possession in exchange for rent" and "to take and hold under an agreement to pay rent"
[contributed by Matt Antone]

can means "to save" (~ the peaches) and "to discard" (~ the worker)
[contributed by Sylvia Briggs]

belie means "To picture falsely; misrepresent: 'He spoke roughly in order to belie his air of gentility' (James Joyce)." and "To show to be false: 'Their laughter belied their outward grief.'"
[From dictionary.com; contributed 12/05 by Nick Serafin]

stem means "To start or originate" and "To stop or restrain"
Contributed 12/07 by Michael Solomon]

peruse means "To read in an attentive manner" and "To read in a leisurely manner"
Contributed 8/2011 by Wayne Yang]

draw means "To bring together" and "To pull apart" as in "Please draw the curtains"
Contributed 9/2012 by Rae Langton]

Kate Curtis-Mclane contributed a whole pile of self-antonyms:
settle means "to move" (the pile ~d) and "to stop moving" (we ~d in)

flesh means "to add substance (~ out)" to and "to clean a hide of flesh"

seed means "to put seeds in" and "to take seeds out"

garnish means "to add something to" or "to take away from (a form of ~ee)"

root means "to get something to take root" or "to pull up (root out)"

joint means "to combine or attach with a joint" and "to separate (esp. meat) at a joint"

snap means "to break into pieces" and "to fasten together"

tube means "to insert a tube in" and "to enclose in a tube"

reel means "to wind onto" and "to let out from"

lease means "to pay for use" and "to be paid for use"

water means "to pour water out" and "to take on water"

wear means "to last under use" and "to erode under use"

weather means "to disintegrate or wear" and "to come through safely, survive"

crop means "to plant or grow" and "to cut or harvest"

https://people.csail.mit.edu/teller...lfantonyms.html

English is weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

"Niceties" are often given a negative connotation! Cool.

I didn't know niceties ever had positive connotations. Interesting.