Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

rypakal posted:

One side effect of him going West is that he will actually die faster, which helps to prevent him trying to cling on to life like Gollum and Bilbo had.

With the One Ring destroyed, would he have even been able to cling to life? I thought that was a function of the ring. I don't recall how book accurate this is, but Galadrial's narration in the film says that it was the ring itself that granted Gollum "unnatural long life."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The films (re?)used the name Gothmog for the Orc commander, the one with all the swellings and deformities.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hedrigall posted:

I posted this in another thread but I wanted to share with Tolkien nerds.

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Deluxe Pocket box set arrived today! The books are gorgeous, and a really cute size. Text is quite tiny though. See album: http://imgur.com/a/IOkts

They're leatherette, not leather, but still feel great. I'm pretty sure the pages are sewn, not glued. The text isn't the 50th anniversary text for some reason.

More info: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1177-the-hobbit-and-the-lord-of-the-rings-deluxe-pocket-boxed-set.php

I saw that set while I was out at Target today...I was tempted to pick it up and now I'm rather sad that I didn't. They're so...tiny, and regal looking.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UoI posted:

I noticed that, too. Frodo is something along the lines of twenty when Bilbo decides to leave? I'm curious as to how Bilbo is with going so long without the ring when I get to Rivendell (if he's even in Rivendell in this book). Wether it'll be like the movie or if he'll be barely able to walk.

No spoilers please!

It's Frodo's 33rd birthday (which the Hobbit equivalent of turning 18. Or maybe 21. Anyway, its a big Coming-of-Age milestone.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

It's definitely his 33rd, because it's Bilbo's 111st, and together they are 144, which is the number of guests at the Party.

Yeah, my parenthetical is comparing it to modern human age milestones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If I wanted to collect this particular printing of The History of Middle Earth:

Is there a good way to go about it? Amazon has like 30 different versions and editions listed, and its really hard to track down this particular design.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Most of the movie depictions have taken permanent residence in my imagination...but the hobbits are never tubby enough.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pixelbaron posted:

Get them all here

Though certain books sell out and you may have to wait for a bit to fill in your gaps. For example, War of the Jewels is sold out right now but everything else is available.

I'm missing one or two but they are in that style of cover and they are brand new so you don't have to hunt around for them.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they ship to the US :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pixelbaron posted:

Once you make an account and input your shipping address and start to checkout it will change to international shipping based on where you're at.

Oh neat! I'll get on that then!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ZeusJupitar posted:

The thing that snaps my suspenders in pretty much all Tolkien art (but especially the movies) is that the Black Riders are always shown in big billowing robes which scream 'bad guy'. They're supposed to be wearing normal if heavy on the black traveler's gear, as a disguise. They're dressed close enough to Aragorn's outfit that the hobbits think he might be one.

The movie plays with this briefly; the first shot we see of Aragorn has him hooded and in the shadows.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Humble Bundle has the Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, and a couple other Tolkien related things up for sale, $15 for the lot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Octy posted:

Yeah, I think they pretty much are just feudal landowners, although Bilbo at least worked to increase his wealth in a way. Frankly, I'm more interested in the social structure of the Elves. They can't all spend their time swanning around like Galadriel, surely.

I always assumed they functioned like Star Trek's Federation; they were advanced enough to be beyond petty concerns for material wealth and all, and they just all just did what was necessary to support the community.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming you mean Peter Jackson the director, and not Steve Jackson the tabletop game creator.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Why were the Hobbit movies filmed in 3D anyways?

To charge $2-3 more per ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

extra stout posted:

Also thread: How do we convince Ingmar Bergman to come back to life and direct a film adaptation of The Children of Hurin?

I think we'd need a virgin sacrifice. Good thing we've got goons to spare.