Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I really like the illustrations drawn by Tolkien himself.

I have a childhood edition of The Hobbit with Tolkien's own maps and full-page illustrations all through it, and he really did have a charming style. The pictures are just full of tiny details wherever you look. If I had a scanner I'd post for example the "captured by trolls" image, which always struck me as great and scary and cute at the same time when I was little.

I can't remember if they did the same thing with the Centennial Edition of LoTR (the whole trilogy and appendixes in one massively fat hardcover book). I remember some illustrations, but it migth have been some modern artist.

Also, the best way to read LoTr the first time is to start with book two. The second read you can do it properly, but it's a whole different experience when you just get thrown into the action with no real clue what happened before, who these people are, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

P Funk Chainsaw posted:

Why the heck????

Because someone had borrowed the first book from the library and I was persuaded to just take the second right there ("it makes no difference, dear"). But I'm very serious -- it's an entirely different experience that way; too bad you can only do it once.

As for Silmarillion, I like the book apart from the first bits, which feel too much like a Bible do-over for me. Once they get into the appearance and travels of the various branches of elves and humans, etc, the book becomes much better for me. It's like the Migration Age in Middle Earth. (Speaking of which, Christopher Tolkien did some very interesting work on proper Dark Age legends and how far it was possible to set them in a real historical and geographical context.)