Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Groke posted:

For me it was the maps and appendices in The Lord of the Rings that first got me on the hook. I randomly stumbled upon the drat thing in my grandma's bookshelf when I was 10 or 11 and had no idea that such an apparently deep constructed world might exist. (Of course I was already the kind of kid who could spend all afternoon reading an encyclopedia.)

You'd love the Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad.

I applaud the thread, OP.

Perfidia posted:

Because someone had borrowed the first book from the library and I was persuaded to just take the second right there ("it makes no difference, dear"). But I'm very serious -- it's an entirely different experience that way; too bad you can only do it once.

I can really relate to the "can only do it once" sentiment. In fact I too started with book 2 about 30 years ago. My big sister had a box with books she'd read and I had no clue at the time that it was the second in a series. (In hindsight, I don't think at the time I even had a concept of a story that was broken up into separate books) I read about half way through it before another family member noticed what I was doing and got me reorganized with the Hobbit. I have probably gone through the series well over a dozen readings by now.

I cannot watch the movies, as I simply don't want what the professor put into my mind's eye to be disturbed. Really wish I could read them all again for the first time. I kind of envy those who have no knowledge of the movies and are cracking them open for the first time.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

rypakal posted:

One side effect of him going West is that he will actually die faster, which helps to prevent him trying to cling on to life like Gollum and Bilbo had.

This is rather the exact oposite of what I took away from traveling west. Folks do not die back west.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Don't harsh my mellow. Bilbo and Frodo are there still, chilling with the elves, a full pipe and smoke rings. Damnit.