Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

The Longshanks Redemption

Beorn: The Professional

Reservoir Wargs

Citizen Thrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

webmeister posted:

My first ever copy of The Hobbit was an ancient paperback with a really cartoony Smaug lying on a giant pile of gold. Because I was 8 years old and apparently a not very attentive reader, I got through most of chapter 1 picturing Bilbo as that dragon from the front cover, pottering about the kitchen and making tea. Eventually I realised my mind's image made no sense and re-read the chapter much more carefully.

It was this cover:

That cartoony Smaug is drawn by Tolkien himself!
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1016-Conversation-with-Smaug-Bodleian-exhibition.php

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

euphronius posted:

You are assuming they could carry the Ring and the Ring bearer which is ... I don’t think that could happen

Tolkien seems to have changed his mind a couple times before deciding that eagles don't have souls/fëar: they're animals that happen to be able to talk as opposed to "people". Both normal animals (the hobbits' ponies they leave in Bree) and more intelligent animals (Asfaloth) have no apparent issue carrying Frodo and the Ring.

The Nazgul ride normal rear end horses that they steal from Rohan, suggesting that their rings' corrupting influence also do not extend to their mounts, despite said mounts being the presence of the rings for far longer periods of time than the ponies or Asfaloth are around Frodo. Obviously the nine rings are less powerful and overall corrupting than the One, but I think taken together you can absolutely argue that the rings in general only influence beings with fëar.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

"Beware the barrow-dudes" just doesn't have the same ring.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Compromise: the balrog has one wing, Sephiroth style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Ogmius815 posted:

Note that that dispassionate list does not really capture the excruciating detail with which such deaths as "spear in the mouth" are relayed in the poem.

List: "spear in the buttock"

Iliad posted:

This man (Phereklos) Meriones pursued and overtaking him
struck in the right buttock, and the spearhead drove straight
on and passing under the bone went into the bladder.
He dropped, screaming, to his knees, and death was a mist about him.