Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cool OP. I've always meant to read the Silmarillion etc, maybe this year is the year I finally attempt to.

You should definitely promote this thread in the Cinema Discusso "The Hobbit" thread because for the last 20 or more pages that thread has abandoned the movie and been entirely about the legendarium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

PeaBeeJay posted:

Has anyone read Rateliff's The History of The Hobbit? I'm planning to read through it before the next movie comes out.

I got it out of the library to read just the 1960 Hobbit chapters, in which JRRT attempted to give the Hobbit the tone of LOTR. It's pretty interesting. No idea about the rest of the 1500 or so pages.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I think there is no more of an eternal divide than that between those who think the Fellowship is slow and boring against those that think the Fellowship is the finest example of English prose fantasy ever written and the highlight of all JRRt's work.

I love the Fellowship in general, the first half (Ring Sets Out) just as equally as the second (Ring Goes South). I might be weird, but I revel in the landscape descriptions and the languid peace of the Shire. And then part 2 is a fantastic adventure story, probably the highlight of LOTR, before all the warfare starts up in TTT and ROTK.

Data Graham posted:

What always gets me is how gradually the tone of the dialogue ramps up its archaic texture until by the climax of RotK it's all "lo, forsooth" and nobody notices when it started.

As this sort of stuff increases, that's when I begin to enjoy it less. Give me more of the fun, light tone of A Long-Expected Party.

concerned mom posted:

The part of the Fellowship where Frodo and Sam are walking through the Shire is my favourite of all Tolkien's work.

:hfive:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 10, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I posted this in another thread but I wanted to share with Tolkien nerds.

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Deluxe Pocket box set arrived today! The books are gorgeous, and a really cute size. Text is quite tiny though. See album: http://imgur.com/a/IOkts

They're leatherette, not leather, but still feel great. I'm pretty sure the pages are sewn, not glued. The text isn't the 50th anniversary text for some reason.

More info: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1177-the-hobbit-and-the-lord-of-the-rings-deluxe-pocket-boxed-set.php

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2017/11/tolkien-estate-and-warner-brothers-to.html

LOTR tv series being shopped around studios currently with "an up-front rights fee of $250 million and a guaranteed per-season budget of between $100 and $150 million, which would exceed the record-setting $100 million budget of Game of Thrones in its last three seasons."

Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere on SA, and if it is, could you link me to the thread? :)