Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Even Bill Ferny gets hit with the “swarthy” tag then he palls around with a “slant-eyed southerner.” It was disappointing on a recent rewatch of the movies how closely Jackson stuck to these trends with the men of the east/south (or even exaggerated them) so any adaptation that tries to alleviate them is good in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Elves are NOT weak like the race of man. Elves are about *opens The Silmarillion*

uh oh

*Frantically starts flipping though pages*

uh oh. oh no. no no no. uh oh

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

These guys are the only way I got through The Silmarillion, can recommend.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I’m re-listening to LotR and there are a lot of funny moments I forgot about. The idea that Sauron sends orcs to Rohan to steal only their black horses is cracking me up. I suppose aesthetics are important to one who used to be so fair.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Interestingly, it also appears in his translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: https://www.reddit.com/r/tolkienfans/comments/tueyhq/thrice_pays_for_all/i34dz96/

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Imagined posted:

Who were the three dwarfs who left the Shire with Bilbo in book 1? If they were just in the other room packing while Bilbo and Gandalf were having the whole discussion about giving up the Ring, does that mean they heard all of that, too?

Apparently they were named Nar, Anar, and Hannar in a draft version of that passage that appears in History of Middle-Earth Vol 6 but the names were later scrapped. Whether they overheard anything is anyone's guess. Bag End is pretty big.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Imagined posted:

Is there any more than the line in Book 2 about how Galadriel attempted to have Gandalf as the head of the White Council, when, or why?

Not much, this is from "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" in The Silmarillion:

quote:

Ever most vigilant was Mithrandir, and he it was that most doubted the darkness in Mirkwood, for many deemed that it was wrought by the Ringwraits, he feared that it was indeed the first shadow of Sauron returning; and he went to Dol Guldur, and the Sorcerer fled from him, and there was watchful peace for a long while. But at length the Shadow returned and its power increased; and in that time was first made the Council of the Wise that is called the White Council, and therein were Elrond and Galadriel and Círdan, and other lords of the Eldar, and with them were Mithrandir and Curunir. And Curunir (that was Saruman the White) was chosen the be their chief, for he had most studied the devices of Sauron of old. Galadriel indeed had wished that Mithrandir should be the head of the Council, and Saruman begrudged them that, for his pride and desire of mastery was grown great; but Mithrandir refused the office, since he would have no ties and no allegiance, save to those that sent him, and he would abide in no place nor be subject to any summons. But Saruman now began to study the lore of the Rings of Power, their making and their history.

So Gandalf was actually offered the job and turned it down, making Saruman v salty.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Re-record it with Fran Drescher instead I'm begging you

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I’m at the part of my RotK relisten where Legolas sees a seagull and it breaks his brain. Everyone else got these wild prophecies from Galadriel but she just tells Legolas “don’t go near the ocean lol” then he hears a seagull and goes “ ah gently caress, my brain!”

I get why it happens to elves but it still makes me chuckle a bit.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah, making Legolas stoic eye candy and Gimli a bumbling goofball was certainly A Choice. I enjoy the films and the soundtrack slaps but they really messed with some (most?) of the characters.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I like their story as told in the RotK appendix but I also like pretending Elrond said “yeah you can marry my hot, old daughter… if you’re the king of the whole world” as a kind of goof then he loving does it. I guess that’s too close to Thingol though. I guess that’s the big difference: they both set a seemingly impossible bride price but Elrond actually grooms helps him.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah, he only tells his boys about the prophecy. He even only hints at it to Éowyn. He knows what he’s doing and has seen their impending doom if he doesn’t stop the corsairs. If the horse lords could have mustered more and more quickly then they might have beaten the orc host prior to the arrival of the black ships but that wasn’t gonna happen.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I assume there’s some kind of elvish ring bearer group chat where they plan this cryptic stuff. No one responds to Saruman in the white council chat anymore and he knows what happened.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

keep punching joe posted:

What are the stars in Tolkienverse? They seem to function the same way, there's descriptions of constellations and individual stars that match with our own (Northern hemisphere), and Aragon I think mentions that the stars in the South are different.

one of them is just some guy on a space boat

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Imagined posted:

I realize that throwing shade on heroes is very on-brand for Gandalf, but I never caught before that he calls Theoden "Theoden the Old" straight to his face, and as far as I know he's the only person in the book to refer to do Theoden by that title lol

It’s a good goof to summarize the history of Rohan as “all the years from Eorl the Young to Theoden the Old”, classic Bad News Gandalf

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

he's wreathed in flame

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Arc Hammer posted:

Something I've wondered, what is Viggo shouting when he jumps off of the Seat of Seeing and crashes into the Uruk Hai? Was he proclaiming "Ëarendil!" or something as a war cry?

Pretty sure he's yelling "Elendil!" which is one of his classic war crys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzO1f1s4Bs8&t=155s

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

“shall prove but mine instrument” strikes again

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

It's better than Fatty Lumpkin at least :shrug:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Hugo Weaving was also a lovely Elrond, they’re just continuing the tradition.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Gresh posted:

I think the best way to watch the trilogy is: FOTR: Extended --> TTT: Extended --> ROTK: Theatrical

This is what I did for my last rewatch and I gotta agree. I missed seeing a few things but it was already long enough.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

DontMockMySmock posted:

you don't see how turning a spider into this:

is maybe a tad male-gaze-y?

that is indeed how i see all spiders, yes

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I totally bounced off it in high school :shrug:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

gotta wait for the sexy ungoliant spinoff show

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm just running through random lines and they all work in his voice. No exceptions.

I will not let the Hwhite Citaaay fall... nor our people fail!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I went to a marathon showing this spring and it was a blast! It ran from about 11am to 11 pm. They did a short “afternoon tea” break in the first gap (went and got a coffee) then an hour gap for dinner before return of the king. They ended up doing extended editions for the first two and theatrical for RotK but I think that was for the best. It was a long day but a ton of fun. I also had a few beers during the last one so I really felt the “you bow to no one” line 😭

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

The fan edit that gets them down to one four hour movie is pretty good.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I listened to the audiobook for The Hobbit as a wee lad then bounced off LotR when I tried to move on.

Ended up reading LotR in high school and loved it, then immediately bounced off the Silmarillion.

Got back into the Sil as an adult and enjoyed it a lot thanks to the Prancing Pony Podcast.

I now own HoME after getting a good price on it and am ready to bounce right off!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I like the Rob Inglis singing, very Catholic hymn-like as previously observed. A good fit for old Tollers.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Arc Hammer posted:

Shall we beat to quarters, sir?

Would you rather fly on the back of Gwaihir or Landroval?

I’d choose Landroval, for as Ilúvatar’s instrument you must always choose the lesser of two eagles.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Deptfordx posted:

Actually, nobodies answered my question yet.

As I say, I didn't like the off the cuff Covid performance of the Hobbit, but I'm perfectly prepared to believe Serkis is decent with prep.

So how is the Serkis performance of the LOTR books, has anyone actually listened to them?

Inglis is fine but he's a little too thespian for me some times. I'd be interested in hearing another decent performance.

Just listen to the 5 minute sample and decide for yourself?

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Hobbit-Audiobook/1705009050

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Phy posted:

They didn't use the Eagles because they broke up, and nobody's gonna take the ring to Mordor in the back of Glenn Frey's van

Of course not, they'll use Eomer's sweet van.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Oracle posted:

He was chosen to fail, though. You say so yourself. 'Presented with a moral challenge they have no ability to overcome.' He was set up for failure. The only thing that saved him was his choice to show mercy to Gollum and not let Sam kill him. If he hadn't done that, there would have been noone to stop him at the end. Lots of foreordained free will vs. omniscient hand of God stuff here.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

time to post bigring

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Pham Nuwen posted:

My college roommate had a mug about that size. As for what to put in it, his answer was generally "five cans of beer".

I have a 1L stein from a trip to Munich which holds ~3 normal bottles of beer. I don't use it often but I do enjoy telling my wife that I'll be having just one drink tonight.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

samcarsten posted:

huh. I heard Tolkein was a die-hard catholic, so i expected there to be more god in his books

There’s a good quote about this in Letter #142 to his Jesuit priest friend:

quote:

The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

VictualSquid posted:

Sorry, but the MtG set is the best adaption of the Lord of the Rings we have had until now. Because all others were cowards:
https://scryfall.com/card/ltr/234/tom-bombadil

would

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I do own it, but have never managed more than a page or two before giving up. Am I doing wrong?

Maybe I'll try reading along with the olsen silmarillion lectures.

I bounced off it twice before reading along with the Prancing Pony Podcast.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

skasion posted:

For real. He’s going to get into a melancholic yet poetic mood and probably say “Ai!” a lot. Legolas can see/hear the stones of Eregion lamenting the genocide Sauron did there a cool 4500 years ago. hearing the thoughts of Mordor stones would absolutely send him

one of the funniest moments in lotr is when legolas sees a seagull and suffers irreparable damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

The faramir changes still get me mad to this day. That and making Aragorn a reluctant leader, like the dude knows who he is in the book, he's all action.

Movie Faramir and Denethor are just awful, such a bummer because I love them both in the books. I like the ride of the Rohirrim in the movies but the scene in the books where Eomer thinks Eowyn is dead sends shivers down my spine:

quote:

...he looked at the slain, recalling their names. Then suddenly he beheld
his sister Eowyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment
as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through
the heart; and then his face went deathly white, and a cold fury rose
in him, so that all speech failed him for a while. A fey mood took him.

‘Eowyn, Eowyn!’ he cried at last. ‘Eowyn, how come you here? What
madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!’
Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the
men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great
host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field
rang his clear voice calling:

‘Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world’s ending!’

And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no
more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering
speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and
passed, roaring away southwards.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 27, 2023