Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes I am seconding that request for explicit references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basically the Ring would give you the power to dominate people and plants and shape the earth to some degree. If you do that too much (Saruman) you are Evil. Some people like Galadriel are right on the line and the Ring would probably have tipped her over to outright evil.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those quotes are right in line with what I said.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just meant Galadriel is already so close to evil already that there wouldn't be a honeymoon of goodness or whatever. It wasn't some point about the Ring generally.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Galadriel is tough because she changed so much over the years.

Near the end apparently JRRT was starting to consider her like the second most powerful elf of the first age after Feanor, after initially being just a bit player besides Loth Lorien.

But you know she just takes over a group of Sylvan elves ( a ruthless matriarchy!) , reads peoples minds, uses her power to change nature. She is a riff off of Saruman.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She is definitely towards the evil side in the Tolkien universe given her lust and desire for power, control, and dominion. She never quite gets there though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Gandalf actually mentions the fact that Elves have are self-involved in writing their histories but can we really blame anyone for writing down what they do and not going out to find and write down what other people are doing? They're elvish historians not elvish anthropologists. It's not their fault that nobody else was writing things down.

Holy crap that's from like a year ago.

That letter from JRRT I think is good evidence for my position last page.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frodo did not destroy the Ring though. Frodo was overtaken by the Ring in the end.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is no consistent theory on Orcs. You can dig and dig but really this is one area where I think it is ok to make up Head Canon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Except there are tons of references to orcs "multiplying", Azog is the son of Bolg, and Saruman made new orcs.

It's a loving mess!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman's Orcs are Half-elven. So each chooses to be mortal or immortal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eowyn is a hugely important character that always seems to get overlooked when people try and make their Tolkien is sexist points.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn't Luthien destroy a tower of Sauron by singing?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you think you are a Tolkien nerd listen to about forty hours of Tolkien Professor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It wasn't pride so much as a desire or compulsion to create and own. Hence his desire for the Silmarils which are probably the greatest creation not done by Eru.

The same compulsion, the desire to create and control, was present in Sauron. And Feanor, peace be upon him.

Edit

The Silmarils are a metaphor for creation itself. They are a fantastic literary invention. Just splendid.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 8, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We are in Sauron's head for a brief moment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No it's when Frodo claims the ring in Mount Doom.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't know what you are reading. There is no mechanized warfare.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

So if Mordor was a hellish ashy plain, what were the orcs eating for food? (You can't say each other.) What's the economy and infrastructure of an army-state in a wasteland without vegetation? You're not going to tell me they go out raiding local farms to feed the vast armies of darkness, are you?

The south east of mordor was fine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am not going to go too far down this road but what we know of Orcs is filtered through rabid Orc racists and should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I mean this is just the texts themselves which all purport in their fictional frame to be the works of elves and men and no claim is made for any kind of historical accuracy whatever that means.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I got a couple questions:

First one is a probably a can of worms, but what has been the overall impression of Christopher Tolkein as both caretaker of his father's writings and an author in his own right? Somewhat related, my brother says that the Tolkein estate has never sold the movie rights to the Simarillion or anything other than the Hobbit and LOTR. Is this true?

Chris does an ok job but is too stingy in releasing the source material.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I recall correctly the land of Hollin was denuded of trees that went into Moria.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

VanSandman posted:

The arrival of the Wizards was one of the events that marked the start of the Third Age.
I believe they were sent to help the Numenorians not turn evil, and keep Sauron from returning.

No they came 1000 years into the 3rd age.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Feanor's obsession with the silmarils causes the strife, not some catholic family law drama.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok Feanor's half family was like a proximate cause. Fine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If i remember my Lost Tales right, when the Valar sauntered over to Valinor for the first time, they didn't explore it all the way. There were parts of it they never went to. Melkor did go exploring and found Ungoliant in some cave.

Now why an evil spider-form creature would be in Valinor I have no idea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shelob was sentient and also magical. Probably would have been a dark spider form lord.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You should reread it. Her evil is intentional, magical and powerful and described so explicitly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No. Evil's main essential characteristic is the desire to control and create.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sauron isnt dumb or shortsighted at all. His downfall was that he could not conceive that Frodo wanted to destroy the Ring. AND HE WAS RIGHT. Frodo did not want to destroy the Ring in the end. It was dumb luck or the will of Illuvatar at the end.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't follow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh yeah I agree with that yeah. They were doomed to their doom.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like I was interpreting your use of short sighted to be in the context of the lives of men, not like the scope of Arda.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well he never thought someone would destroy the ring and he was right.

If Gollum wasn't there to fall into the fire, Sauron wins.

Also there was clever misdirection by Aragorn to use the unwitting Hobbit palantir reveal to their advantage.

Sauron was never dumb. Shortsighted I guess in the sense that evil cannot win in a universe with "god".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2) probably about 12 feet tall. NO WINGS.

1) He is identifying himself as a servant and paladin of Valinor and Illuvatar, Anor being a poetic name for Valinor, secret flame being a reference to the power of creation. Or he is saying straight out he has a ring of power. It is ambiguous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the versions of the fall of Gondolin, where there are like 100s of Balrogs, they are described as being like twice as big as an elf. And of course a balrog does not have wings and cannot fly and PJ is dumb and fat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are all making great posts and I dont disagree!

Except for Balrog wing guy. gently caress that poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The shadow of the Moria balrog is poeticlly described as wings. thats it. In no other description of Balrogs do they have wings. If they had wings why did they need to ride dragons over mountains to get to Gondalin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When Beren and Tinuveil/Luthien invade Angband, Angband is explicitly described as being hellish.

Its gate is even guarded by a giant dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thunder Moose posted:

As others have pointed out - Tolkien held to the old adage that "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Which is why virtuous characters such as Gandalf, Galadriel, Tom Bombadil, etc - did "not desire mastery, but rather understanding."

Hope that helps!

I don't think that is true. Or at least, Tolkien's work is more nuanced than that. Power does not corrupt. It is the desire to dominate and create which corrupts. Sometimes.