Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Galadriel was a lot closer to the line. She may have witnessed Feanor going nuts, but then she lived with Melian for like 10000 years and grew to desire her own kingdom. Which is what Loth Lorien is. With Loth Lorien she basically - iirc - took over a bunch of woodland elves and made herself ruler.

loving Noldor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beren and luthien is entirely filmable. Next is maybe the fall of Gondolin and Earendil. And next is maybe the tragedy of Feanor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

I feel like it would work best as an opera.

That's how the elves would have done it too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is tons of action in beren and luthien.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The story in the silmarillion from approximately the awakening of the elves to the War of Wrath and the destruction of Beleriland is pretty linked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I dont know how you would portray Morgoth though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Because they owned the film rights and the movies made 3 billion or whatever and are decently entertaining.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Wrong thread haha.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 4, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how the Sand Worms are actually in the book.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tolkien uses worm both ways so who knows.

I like the way the movie used them a lot as a kind of counter to the Eagles. The good guys ride majestic eagles. The bad guys follow worms and come out of the ground like vermin. Neat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The pukelmen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jar Jar and the gungans are a great comparison to the pukelmen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Were the vala mentionted in Rings/Hobbit? i ask in the context of the Sauron wiki article some guy mentions had a theory that Sauron was a vala before the Simarillion was published.

The early drafts of the Silmarillion were written way before LOTR and Sauron was never on the same level as the valar. I think he first shows up as a vampyre lord in the third?? version of Beren and luthien.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Galadriel could not wear her ring when Sauron had the One.

Also the distinction between valar and maiar was distinct. Originally they all were the children of the valar, like how the Greek pantheon has generations. Jrrt moved away from that though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

I believe the Noldor had been able to kill Balrogs through force of arms at times, Galadriel could totally have made Sauron eat the mat. :colbert:

The Noldor in the third age are quite diminished. If you remember men ( exiled from Numenor though) and Noldor beat in combat Sauron with the Ring !!!! at the end of the second age. They did not have that power any more though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The whole point of the one ring was to control all other rings. Even though Sauron didn't make the Three, Celebrimbor made them with Saurons ideas and techniques. Sauron with the One would have overwhelmed Galadriel if she tried to use her Ring.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Two things

One: Huan was a Good Dog. (And also a Maia)

Two: Sauron grew in power levels when Melkor was banished imho. I don't have a Jrrt cite for that tho.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jewcoon posted:

Balrogs were Aüle's as well. That guy had a TERRIBLE track record. I think the only other Maiar that are noted to have gone over to the dark side was Osse, and that was only temporary.

Ungolient and maybe the first orcs. Probably not the orcs no one knows

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman was evil at the end too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am rereading Sil and Ungolient is def just a Maia.

Also the scene when Feanor slams the door in Melkors face is probably my favorite ever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nothing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

If the things in there predate Sauron, they must be pretty loving hefty medicine, considering that Sauron predates the existence of Arda. (Of course Gandalf may have meant 'Sauron as we know him.')

it's unclear to me if Gandalf means that they predate the existence of Sauron completely or if they predate the appearance of Sauron in middle earth. The latter makes much more sense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bombadil is obviously a Maia.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You get Sauron's POV once as well.

quote:

And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-dûr was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgûl the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 2, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the books only say the dragons were bred by Morgoth, not created.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

However, in some of the first drafts of the Fall of Gondolin, dragons were closer to machines than actual animals.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ZeusJupitar posted:

Straight up ripping pieces of his own soul off and jamming them into lizards.

That's actually really accurate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vavrek posted:

:monocle:

I have to know more about this. Could you elaborate, please?

Read Book of Lost Tales 2 : Fall of Gondolin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

House Louse posted:

Those are the bits that were written in the trenches during the Battle of the Somme, right?

1917 so no, Somme was 1916.

Probably not literally wrote in the trenches though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Silmarillion is not explicit about it. It is speculation in that source.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Belgian posted:

Keep in mind that Tolkien rewrote and altered parts of The Hobbit to fit in with LoTR. Unless you're reading a first edition or something, that could be part of those changes.

Yeah exactly. the Hobbit was (relatively) heavily retconned.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sunday at work posted:

So not explicit, but there really isn't any where else they could have come from. No one was there in Utumno but everyoe believes that is where the Orcs came from because Melkor wasn't capable of makeing them from scratch.

There is no consistent answer in his works. For trolls or dragons either. If you want to believe orcs are elves that's fine, but it has nasty afterlife issues.

He could make them from scratch but he'd need to give them a part of his life, rather than their own life. Thats what I think works best.

Note that Morgoth enslaved a huge portion of the Noldor and Sindar in Beleriand and they did not turn into orcs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The orcs could also be the offspring of lesser maiar.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Luthien is also not a Maia and is never referenced as half-Maia as other people are with mixed ancestry. So I think it's more of her mom's un-maianess that allowed it. Like how Arwen gives up her elfness.

The silmarillion constantly refers to Luthien and offspring as having the blood line of the maiar.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just feread the Silmarillion on the beach. It's really tight how JRrt fits everything together in the First Age. The first version of Turambar is just in some forest but the Silmarillion version has all types of additional nuance due to its placement in the War of the Jewels.

The Book of Lost Tales version is more interesting though imho for all of the additional dialog from Glauurung who is just a master level troll.

Further the Silmarillion version of the fall of Gondolin is disgraceful.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The book never refers to him speaking for the Maiar.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thrain and Thorin could not have held the Arkenstone if it was a silmaril. Or Meadros' Silmaril.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Morgoth stole it from Formenos, Ungoliant ate it; pooped out in beleriland, picked up by dwarf going east, lost in bottom of lonely mountain

Or gift from Felgund to first men. Stolen by easterners. Brought east; lost in mountain.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

concerned mom posted:

That writer is totally wrong about Glorfindel. They aren't the same Glorfindel.

I think they are.

Also that is a good list. Fingolfin has the most metal death by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He tripped in a crater created by Grond smashes which is metal.