Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wonder if their license agreement was “use it or lose it”

There is no reason numenor should have been added in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A different season or show as the OP was saying

I watched 5 mins of one episode where Galadriel was climbing an iceberg and fell asleep. So I didn’t see the show to be fair

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yoda was that character though. Galadriel can be different than her version in LOtR if it’s a believable character arc like Yoda

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right Yoda changed due to the Jedi coup getting crushed and him learning that violence was not an answer (or maybe. Violence from him at least is not the answer. He has no issue later sending look out on an assassination mission )

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yoda says Vader must be stopped and conquered. I suppose you could interpret that as hug them to the light side but it was plain to me he wanted Luke to kill them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lotr has prayers and religious services.

For prayers one famous one is Frodo’s invocation of Elbereth on Weathertop

For religious services, there is one in the Hall of Fire with the elves when Frodo et Al visit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit for example in the hall of fire the elves sing this hymn https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Elbereth_Gilthoniel

In addition to the Hall of Fire being a “church”, the Cracks of Doom are arguably a church or consecrated space to Morgoth

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 22, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Dwarves worship Aule but I don’t think that is in Lotr

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The elves (well the high elves) are basically an organized religion in that they all seem to live moment to moment in communion with the gods especially elbereth.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Nazgûl were immortal kings loving poo poo up That was what the Witch king of Angmar was for a long time

We also don’t know much at all about the south and East where suaron spent a lot of attention

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

We know his efforts there availed him not.

What are you referring to

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frodo did not yeet the ring into the cracks of doom. He did the opposite

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gandalf says at some point Sauron would never expect anyone to destroy the ring. Assuming Gandalf was right, Sauron was correct. No one on middle earth has the ability to destroy the Ring. Eru had to literally intervene which is I think cheating against poor Sauron.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right the only hope was a miracle and Saruman knew the gods had probably abandoned him. Poor guy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That was no ordinary sword. It was designed to kill the witch king by numenorians. It just sat in a narrow for awhile

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Depending on how much you trust Gandalf

They tried to pierce your heart with a Morgul-knife which remains in the wound. If they had succeeded, you would have become like they are, only weaker and under their command. You would have become a wraith under the dominion of the Dark Lord; and he would have tormented you for trying to keep his Ring, if any greater torment were possible than being robbed of it and seeing it on his hand.’

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That section from Sauron’s pov is a little strange. How would the narrator know what Sauron was thinking ? I guess Frodo kind of mind melded with him once he put the ring on

You are right tho it is interesting what is he so afraid about ? He could just take the ring from Frodo. I think you are right to infer he was afraid it would “accidentally” fall into the fire

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right but who is doing the casting there.

Similar to Saruman’s statement (hearsay through Gandalf [how much of this relies on trusting Gandalf !!]) Into Anduin the Great it fell; and long ago, while Sauron slept, it was rolled down the River to the Sea.

Who rolled it down the river ?

Edit

Making it explicit: the speakers in LoTr often hide divine intervention behind passive voice constructions

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 28, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why did Saruman and Frodo use the passive voice then in your opinion.

Frodo could easily have said “I will cast you into the fire”

Here is another example

‘I will take the Ring,’ he said, ‘though I do not know the way.’ Elrond raised his eyes and looked at him, and Frodo felt his heart pierced by the sudden keenness of the glance. ‘If I understand aright all that I have heard,’ he said, ‘I think that this task is appointed for you, Frodo; and that if you do not find a way, no one will.

Appointed by whom?? The Council explicitly does not appoint anyone

Edit edit

Behind that there was something else at work, beyond any design of the Ring-maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought.’

Who meant Bilbo to find the ring ? Who meant Frodo to have the ring ? I love how Gandalf says he can say it no plainer and then uses the passive voice lol

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 28, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He doesn’t day it rolled. He says it was rolled. As in someone rolled it

Anyway he was lying and said that to ease the concerns of the white council. It would not ease the concerns of the white council if what they inferred was the ring randomly rolled into the sea. It would ease their concerns if they inferred some divine entity caused the ring to go into the sea

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Yeah, by gravity.

Your interpretation takes the “was” out. I think you should account for the text saying “was rolled” not just “rolled”

Even so why didn’t Saruman just say “the current of the river rolled the ring into the sea “

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So your interpretation is the river had free will to roll the ring ? Or the ring rolled itself by free will? Why didn’t Saruman say that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The white council did at that time yes . Gandalf later says he was a fool to do so

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Why would he have to say it, what else would have?

Eru. Manwe. Most likely Ulmo in this scenario

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

So, Gandalf says that he was a fool to believe the things said, these same things that you are relying on for your argument

I’m arguing what Saruman implied and what we should infer from his statement

No one should believe him. But that is more in hindsight.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Why would they need to get involved at that point instead of letting the river do its thing?

Or, if Eru is going to get involved directly, why let it be made? Why not destroy it once it has been?

The Eagles intervention is much more credible to assign to Manwë by even that isn't certain.

In this circumstance it was Saruman the white speaking as head of the council. In hindsight we know he was searching for the ring and believed it was in the anduin still. He was trying however to mollify the rest of the white council about the ring and to get them to stop worrying about it. That is the context of his lie. Therefore he constructed it such a way for the other to infer that someone else rolled the ring into the sea already and it’s taken care of. Who would Gandalf thing did that ? My guess is most likely he thought Ulmo did it. Edit : thinking about it I think he may have thought Eru? Idk.

I don’t know what exactly your are referring to by eagles intervention

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 28, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SimonChris posted:

Because passive voice puts the focus on the object, and the ring is the most important thing, not the precise mechanism of how it rolled.

Then he would have just said rolled, not was rolled.

Unless you mean the entity of the being who rolled the ring into the sea isn’t important . I don’t think that is true

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Do you think Eru literally pushed Smeagol over the cliff?

Like did eru corporealize and literally push? No

It similar to how eru got the ring to Bilbo

Edit

To use the language of lotr, gollum was meant to slip and fall at that moment

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 28, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know, I don’t usually question the ways of god

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman did think for a moment that Gandalf had the one ring and then laughed at him as an idiot when he figured out he didn’t.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeh Bilbos song/poem in the Hall of Fire is wild with the whole picture

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

The Lord of the Rings isnt a work of fiction however, it is merely a translation into English of the Westron adaptation of the Red Book of Westmarch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can include poetry when it’s banger and Tolkiens poetry is banger. Those are the rules

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Look he really loved hobbits ok

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is a very good point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love the lothlorien section of the book. It might as well be Doriath

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah Frodo is literally gentry landlord

He don’t farm none

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were there in winter. Most of the flow could be in the spring when the snow on the mountains melt

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was the girl Shelob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc his conclusion on Moria was it was a name from before Tolkien brought the whole legendarium in and was “a mistake” . The door would never in 100000 years say “Moria”.

For your idea that people forgot what it means, idk . These are immortal beings .