Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So uh, the Sirannon and the lake at the gates of Moria.

Why is the stream reduced to a trickle? Does the text never address this?

Yes I know it has been dammed, but dams have to let water out at the same rate as it comes in. Where's the water going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah true. They do seem surprised that it's flowing so little though, even before they know about the dam/lake. It's presented as a big mystery and the dam is presented as the answer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still wild to me how the cast of the movies all bonded so tight, and for the long haul.

Always makes me think of the phrase "fast friends" which I hear a lot from people who think it means "making friends quickly", but no, it means firmly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I've been catching up on the Exploring Lord of the Rings podcast and just got to this point in the Council of Elrond, and Corey Olsen went on a somewhat long diatribe about how he loves the moment and how it shows McKellan's Gandalf has such compassion for Frodo &c, but it's at odds with the book because Frodo standing forth like that is the culmination of a lot of hard work and scheming on Gandalf's part and no way would he be sad...

And then not five minutes later he makes an explicit reference to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane and how Frodo's internal feelings reflect that the Ring quest is something that he knew was the right thing and that he's really known that it would be his task from the start, so he's doing it even though he dreads the certain consequences...

And I'm drat near banging on my steering wheel going "SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING! SOMEBODY MAKE THE CONNECTION!"

Man, I'll be glad to get to the end of the CoE run of episodes.

It's hilarious how often this happens lol

I'm at the Gates of Moria now (probably like a year's worth of episodes ahead of you lmao) and even though he'll spend like eight consecutive hours on a single paragraph, the whole group will still somehow miss some (to me) incredibly obvious things.

Like he spent about an entire hour talking about the name "Moria" and speculating about why Celebrimbor would write the name "Black Pit" on the friendship gates to the Dwarves' pride and joy kingdom. He kept iterating through all these far-flung theories about how maybe it was sarcastic, or a joke or a term of endearment, or maybe it was a name the Elves used internally but never told the Dwarves, etc etc etc, and I'm sitting here thinking, hey! Is it not possible that the name "Moria" had long since ceased to be a meaningful name that people would translate literally, in their heads, as they heard it? How many names do we hear on a daily basis where we never even connect them to their obvious meanings/etymology which are within a hair of our understanding if we just think about it for half a second but really we very seldom do? How many people do you know with names like "Leadbeater" or "Mueller" where it's simply never occurred to them, never mind anyone around them, that "whoa lol you mean like LEAD BEATER? Like a metalworker?? Haha crazy" Surely "Moria" by that point has become just a name that nobody even trips over, even if it could be thought of as an unflattering epithet deep in its etymology, and even the Dwarves would use it freely and just never think twice about whether it might be an insult?

"I'm American, our names don't mean poo poo" yeah right, you've never cracked a book to see what "Butch" "Coolidge" might mean? Gimme a break

Also for all the time he spent on the first view they get of Caradhras in the red sunset light, somehow nobody even brought up how Sam asking if it's Mount Doom is a near-carbon-copy of Bilbo's reaction to it or a similar nearby mountain in The Hobbit. "Is that... THE Mountain?"

it cracks me up how no matter how slow you go there are still huge things you can completely miss

(And my steering wheel has undergone similar punishment)

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 6, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

euphronius posted:

Iirc his conclusion on Moria was it was a name from before Tolkien brought the whole legendarium in and was “a mistake” . The door would never in 100000 years say “Moria”.

For your idea that people forgot what it means, idk . These are immortal beings .

Sure but he could have brought up that possibility!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well yeah, and he brought that up, in that the -ia word for "abyss" feels so obviously like an awkward retcon that he was clearly trying to fit his preexisting name into a more "LotR-ish" framework.

But what he and the group are doing is trying to think of an in-universe justification for why they would use that name in that context, with the history as given and the name with its meaning as explained in his appendices. With that framework in place it feels like the only explanation (to Olsen) for it appearing on the doors is a mistake by Tolkien, an oversight during revisions that he should have caught and corrected. But to me it seems like "names losing meaning over time" is as plausible an explanation as any, with the caveat that Tolkien being Tolkien would probably recoil from the idea of anybody being so linguistically incurious

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tree Bucket posted:

That sounds most likely to me.

Names are weird. I doubt the place Tolkien lived had oxen or a ford!

Not lately anyway

e: might have been some at the Bosporus though

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 6, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zoux posted:

Dwarf tossing aged especially bad because it was one of those Maxim/Man Show adjacent memes. Unless you were of a certain age in 2002 it would have made no sense then, and certainly not now.

Yeah and Legolas—the joke I always made at the time with my friends (yes I'll cop to it) was that Legolas was basically our Indian friend, Indian Companion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlX7BeEVr2o

"Someone coming"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skasion posted:

The Treebeard thing is so weirdly incoherent. The first scene they meet him he’s actively, homicidally raging out about orcs mulching his trees. Then they go and take it to the moot and he’s like “sorry, can’t help, this isn’t really our problem I guess”. Then they have to go show him his own mulched trees so he can rage out again. Huh? Did he forget? Maybe we’re meant to assume the other ents convinced him he was freaking out about nothing, but none of them get any lines or personality so idk how.

ATHF didn't have to go too far afield to do their sorta-parody of the tree court as a bunch of sadistic illogical freaks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus the reveal from under Elrond's cloak is a :krad: shot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zoux posted:

Here’s a sequence btw, which I believe is vastly improved by being shot on film.

For real. You want to give someone a prime example of a reason why an adaptation into a different medium needs to be executed in a completely different way than "just film the book", that shot, holy god drat.

Also you just know that's someone's favorite scene who doesn't like the books because of "landscapes"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And because "they're friends and that counts for something"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Beren and Luthien erasure

Another "hey why didn't someone mention this" in the podcast btw was when Gandalf sends Bill off with "words of guard and guiding" on him, which was the same phrasing Maeglin used when breaking Aredhel out of Eol's place

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're discovered only because Gandalf does some flashy fire magic. After that as he explains there's no point hiding anymore so they just book it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I saw it in the high framerate version and it didn't look good. It had an uncanny hyper clarity to it that I can't describe.

My main feeling while watching the Hobbit movies was a sense of dread that this HFR stuff would immediately take over the filmmaking world and nothing would ever be the same again.

Fortunately that doesn't seem to have happened?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, like evil Goldberry

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Olsen said one thing in the Watcher sequence that was maybe the first time I've honestly just about slammed on the brakes and swerved into a parking lot so I could get out and jump around shouting like Donald Duck.

He said, just casually in passing, trying to visualize the scene, he figured Boromir threw his rock about 200+ feet, or 75-ish meters.

WHAT THE gently caress

That's like throwing a guy out a home plate from mid-centerfield, on the fly. You have to HEAVE a ball-sized object with strength barely anybody but Boromir would possibly have had the strength, or even more importantly the highly-practiced atlatl-style finger leverage, to do.

At first I thought he was just being vague and imprecise and didn't really have a good mental picture of what 200 feet is like, just throwing out a number that sounds kinda biggish. But then a few minutes later he doubled down on it! He's a baseball guy. He outright said he positively pictures Boromir blasting a loving line drive 200 feet out into the dusky lake, presumably taking two or three hops and just wanging the thing with all his might.

I don't know, maybe I'm the weird one here but I always had pictured him just sort of casually hucking the rock out there, maybe 80-100 feet at most. Like the distance from the mound to the plate, and definitely not with a lot of speed behind it, just lobbing it in a high arc. I do not imagine the lake to be the kind of width Olsen is apparently thinking, like half a mile across. In my mind it's way smaller, maybe like the size of a Home Depot footprint, and pretty narrow at the end they're at. And Boromir is not hurling his rock out into the dim murky distance with the rocket arm of a Willie Mays, he's just sort of making a casually defiant gesture of revulsion in the water's general direction.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

euphronius posted:

Here is a good old timey highlight of about a 200 foot throw by a non Numenorean https://youtu.be/1PH6XJypKno?si=tqd--1pxaXvdD6r2

Yeah exactly what I'm saying, obviously it's possible but is that what we're picturing Boromir suddenly doing while he's standing around fidgeting as Gandalf tries to decode the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lots of bubbling sound effects the whole time