Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

He was a mental wreck by "The Scouring of the Shire" but he still showed some pity to Frodo and all he had endured.

Saruman rose to his feet, and stared at Frodo. There was a strange look in his eyes of mingled wonder and respect and hatred. 'You have grown, Halfling,' he said. 'Yes, you have grown very much. You are wise, and cruel. you have robbed my revenge of sweetness, and now I must go hence in bitterness, in debt to your mercy. I hate it and you! Well, I go and I will trouble you no more. But do not expect me to wish you health and long life. You will have neither. But that is not my doing. I merely foretell.”

Saruman was not a being of malice and enmity like Morgoth or Sauron. He was just...weak and pitiable in that weakness.

Of course, Saruman then tried to stab Frodo right after that. :v:
Saruman does strike me as a sort of character who, like you noted, is kind of a shriveled up mess. Possibly as a result of all his deceit and backhandedness, but at the end he does come across as a washed up celebrity or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

axeil posted:

I've been reading the Hobbit and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've never read it before and my only experience was the films but it's really eye opening.

One thing that's jumped out already is how the films make Thorin such an rear end in a top hat from the beginning when in the book he's not a dick, just very much wanting to get the journey started. Excited to see other differences like this as I go.

edit: This is as of the end of the first chapter. I'll keep posting my thoughts as I read, assuming that's something y'all are interested in.

Enjoy it! Having been on my Tolkien film and book binge as of late, it's a fun exercise. I still think that, despite its faults, the LOTR trilogy are some of the finest films out there, and probably the best adaptations Hollywood could ever put out. Seeing the rush job that the production company put the film crew on, while also mandating they create MORE content, gives such a painful "what could have been" feeling. Jackson may be guilty of CG bloat, but you can tell the care he and his crew put into these films.