Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So, I've seen the movies, and I've read the Hobbit, but I've never read the Lord of the Rings or the Silmarillion. However, because I'm already somewhat familiar with Lord of the Rings through of the movies, I decided I'd read the Silmarillion first, because while I've heard a bit about some of the stories(via references and ultra-Tolkien-fan friends), I know a lot less, and I figure reading the Silmarillion will help me get the most out of Lord of the Rings. Also, I'm weird and love religious and mythology-based texts. Is there any advice or things I should know ahead of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Me and my ex had a heated discussion in the past and eventually came to conclude that the only way to do the Silmarillion right would be a Bollywood epic. Doing a Hammerhand anime is about as weird, and I'm glad they're trying something different rather than just try to remake the LotR movies like they did with the Hobbit. If it turns out to be a dumpster fire, it will at least be a VERY interesting one.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

In response to the Amazon backlash, I've seen some people go through internet archives and find reactions to the initial Fellowship of the Ring trailer. They were not particularly kind. Tolkien fans never change.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

skasion posted:

The weirdest thing about the marketing of this show so far has to be the insistence on referring to Isildur as “a sailor” like he’s just some guy. Come on, who are you fooling here?

You say that as if the whole show won't end with Isildur taking the ring and there won't be thousands of people saying, " Oooooh he's the guy at the start of the first one!"

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Watching the first two episodes of Rings of Power reminded me of the One Ring, the Middle Earth roleplaying game that just got its second edition. I was reading one of the adventure seeds they put in where they describe a group of talking otters the players can meet and trade with, who were taught speech by the elves long ago. When I first read that, my immediate response was "I don't remember that from any of the books," and while it might have been and I just can't remember right now, the more I thought about it, the more I liked it because I didn't think it was ever in them. There are multiple references to talking animals in Tolkien's work, but there aren't that many really. That said, it feels like something that would 100% exist in Middle Earth.

Tolkien himself constantly fiddled with little details like that in the world-building, and I think some Tolkien fans treat his works like something that needs to be behind a glass case rather than what it was: something that was manipulated, bent, and played with for decades by both JRR Tolkien himself, and to a degree, Christopher Tolkien as well. That manipulation and play, as long as it doesn't break it, is as natural to Middle Earth as too many song breaks and a Catholic worldview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Everyone posted:

I think the leak is BS. I have several problems with it. First, why is Sauron on a rickety raft with a bunch of other people in the middle of the ocean. Why would Sauron save Galadrial? It makes more sense that Halbrand is "jonesing for a forge" because he wants to start a new life in Numenor and leave his "kingly destiny" far behind.

Here's a fun, hosed up guess: Sauron is actually disguised as Celebrimbor, having killed the real one and taken his place.

I kind of agree. It seems easier to predict what will happen if the story is an adaptation of a 50+ year old book (appendices).

I do think there's no way that Adar is Sauron. Too on the nose, and I think a bait and switch works great for Sauron's character as a shape shifter. Also, I can't see him just hanging out with the orcs in the Southlands.