Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Hobbit cartoon from 1977 packs more fun and soul into 90 minutes than the new trilogy does in, what, loving 8 hours? It's also a far more faithful adaptation. Hell, the 10-minute translation+adaptation I did for a group project in high school Japanese (:kamina:) was more faithful to the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nessus posted:

I assume that if Aragorn or Galadriel had used the Ring it is possible that "Sauron" would have been gone, but the course of winning over the Ring and throwing Sauron through the Dunnish announcer's table would have made them essentially "Sauron-ish" - perhaps Galadriel would have covered Middle-Earth in titanic trees instead of howling wastelands, but it would have come to the same in the end.

I mean yeah it's explicitly stated by several of those characters that this would be precisely the outcome.

Galadriel probably would have been the worst option, I think he wrote that she specifically came to Middle-Earth because she wanted to rule her own lands, which I can't imagine would be great given god-like power.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

skasion posted:

Tolkien strongly suggests in the text and explicitly says in correspondence or somewhere that Gandalf as Ring-lord would have overthrown Sauron and been way worse, in his own way: instead of acting selfishly and amorally to advance his own interests, Gandalf would have continued to do what he considered good, but in a way necessarily made evil by the use of the ring’s power to dominate. He was wiser than Sauron and, at least as Gandalf the White, seems to have been less diminished from his original divine nature. A ring-wielding Gandalf would have been Real Bad: think like the Aspect Emperor from Prince of Nothing, but way more so because not merely human.

I'd never heard of Prince of Nothing, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. This motherfucker just straight ripped off Tolkien's linguistic style. Those of you who haven't read the series, which of the following are from Bakker's books and which are from Tolkien?

• Eärwa
  • Hildórien
  • Enelyë
  • Cûnuroi
  • Anasûrimbor
  • Curunír
  • Dûnyain
  • Ainoni
  • Aegnor
  • Celmomas
  • Fíriel

Tolkien: Hildórien, Enelyë, Curunír, Aegnor, Fíriel

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Marijuana posted:

I recently finished up a reread of the Fellowship and about 25% of Two Towers (up to The Palantir). These books are so fun. I'm really struck by how much of a superior writer Tolkien was compared to the authors who followed in his footsteps. Dune, A Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan Book of the Fallen, Wheel of Time, etc. seem so trashy to me, now. Lord of the Rings is a concise, tight story compared to those multi-million word series.

Don't group Dune in with the rest of those.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

When a book enters the public consciousness there’s gonna be variations. There’s going to be reinterpretation. There’s going to be different visions and a whole lot of crap. That’s how, for better or worse, stories grow and evolve into new stories. I admire Christopher Tolkien’s adherence to his father’s vision as far as it gets those works that came out after his death insofar as they allow those works to be realized as he would have published them, but these aren’t sacred texts. They deserve the same capacity for reimagination as anything else.

every day we stray further from Eru's light

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

VanSandman posted:

I remember a similar poll. Pratchett wrote about it, once - that the English may nod and agree that Mona Lisa is a great painting, that David is a great sculpture, but dammit LOTR is a worldbeater of a story and they’ll defend it.

Book intended to be an "English myth" with 4 idealized English protagonists vs. impenetrable prose about Ireland by a fart-obsessed Irishman, hmmm.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

skasion posted:

:frogout:, old wight. Tom kicks dick and his exclusion from every adaptation is as inexcusable as any number of skateboarding elves, if not more so.

the barrow wights would have been cool too

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Here's a song that might be about Numenoreans sailing to Valinor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUhgCto_79Y

But it's vague enough it might just be that the writer heard Valinor somewhere and liked the sound of it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Every tolkien character is a volcel so

Pippin surely fucks

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Tangentially — this may be a very dumb question and I'm likely forgetting something super obvious, but why did Sauron suddenly decide that now's the time to send out his armies and shadows and attempt to defeat the West once and for all? What's the catalyst of his attack?

Was it that he heard about the lead on the Ring? And he decided to go out and find it, and that would give him the power to defeat the West once and for all? If so, why does he keep on with his plans even as the Ring keeps eluding him?

I was mentally worrying over other fantasy stories where there's a Dark Lord who's readying a big apocalyptic war, but in most cases that I can think of it's just sort of a foregone conclusion that it's going to happen, like everyone looks up in the sky, sniffs the wind, and goes "Mmmyep Mabel, looks like it's time for the End of the World. Knew it was coming sooner or later"

You know? Like the war is just happening because the plot demands it, because the book needs high stakes and a climax. Feels like there ought to be a more causative reason in LotR, something that makes sense from Sauron's perspective, right? And there probably is, I'm just overlooking something blindingly obvious.

Forgive me if this isn't well-supported by the text, but:

1. Gollum goes to Mordor, gets tortured into revealing that he had possessed the Ring up until relatively recently
2. Sauron sends out the Ringwraiths to get the ring back from the Bagginses
3. Ringwraiths pursue Frodo to Rivendell
4. Sauron now knows the Ring is in Rivendell. By his nature, he expects his enemies will now attempt to use the ring to defeat him
5. (this is where I infer the most) He attacks Gondor, being the biggest threat and a sensible destination for the Ring, hoping to beat them before they can use the Ring to build up their own power. Edit: also, even if he thinks it goes to Lórien or stays in Rivendell with the Elves rather than sending it to Gondor, he wouldn't want to extend himself all the way up to attack them while leaving Gondor right there on his doorstep / on the flank of his armies

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 30, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I realize this is the hot takes zone but I think Gandalf just punting Frodo into Mt Doom, 300-style, would be pretty out of character.

Edit: funny though

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kassad posted:

I read that as referring to "wraiths of fear and darkness". Aragorn had his own Nazgul for a time.

Yes, almost certainly. I see no reason to bring the Ring into this particular situation given that:

• Oaths have serious power in Middle Earth
  • The oath was sworn to a Numenorean king on/at a Numenorean artifact
  • The oath was broken (which has consequences in ME) and they were cursed by Isildur (which also has consequences in ME)
  • Aragorn, being the heir of Isildur, would presumably have the authority to deem their oath fulfilled; seeing Anduril, the Host would presumably jump at the chance to finally quit moping around that loving stone

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sassassin posted:

They were made of corn and we know how corn is processed. To assume the select caste of women that were made to produce them did it by singing lullabies betrays a misunderstanding of both Tolkien and of reality.

In the English usage, "corn" refers to any cereal. Tolkien absolutely knew this and surely you know it to, but you're too enamored with making some weird point about lye-burned elfin proletariat running a loving tortilla factory.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Long lifespans seems to be the natural order of things in middle earth. If orcs are long lived then pretty much the only sub-century sentient beings are fallen humans (who, if their own oral folklore is to be believed, are being punished with said short lifespans)

Weren't Numenoreans rewarded with long life, while regular men live Earth-typical lifespans? I found http://lotrproject.com/statistics/ through googling, it seems like non-Numenoreans averaged 80 years while Numenoreans and their descendants averaged 237 years, with a standard deviation of 88 years, a full normal-man lifespan. The numbers are apparently pulled from characters described in the books.

In Middle Earth it seems like being extraordinary in any way tends to confer actual tangible benefits: a good king might live especially long and be strong until his death, a particularly evil beast will just get bigger and older. It's a world built on god-songs that's been reshaped from a flat plane to a sphere. Trees apparently grew/existed before there was any light but starlight.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sassassin posted:

Sunlight is just starlight from less far away.

Except the one star that's an Elf in a sailboat but that happened after sunlight, obviously.

But the sun's just a Maia in a sailboat carrying a big fruit.

And the brightest / best stars are the ones made from the dew of the trees that produced the fruit and flower that are the Sun and Moon, respectively.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd expect Hobbits to recognize mead. Having apparently pretty well-developed agriculture, I'd be surprised if they didn't keep bees. The fact that they eat cakes indicates some form of sugar production, and honey is the most likely (sugar beet processing doesn't seem like Tolkien's bag). Given that they brew beer and wine, I'd expect them to also make mead.

Tolkien may have been thinking about mead, though, but didn't want to explicitly call it that. He surely had his own views about what saying "mead" would invoke. The Rohirrim capital is called Meduseld, Mead-Hall, and they are the sort of noble barbarian that comes to mind when you think "mead". I don't think he wanted to put elves in that same sort of niche.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

As for the mead discussion, I know Beorn is called out specifically for all the bees he raises, doesn’t he serve mead in the Hobbit? If it’s called out as such then Bilbo obviously knows what mead is, which suggests it exists in the Shire.

I just looked, Beorn explicitly served mead:

quote:

They sat long at the table with their wooden drinking-bowls filled with mead.

quote:

At last Gandalf pushed away his plate and jug – he had eaten two whole loaves (with masses of butter and honey and clotted cream) and drunk at least a quart of mead

Can we be 100% sure Bilbo recognized the mead for what it is? The narrator of The Hobbit is basically a modern Englishman, talking about trains and other things Bilbo wouldn't have known, but I didn't see anything like "Bilbo asked what the hell this stuff they were drinking was"; no explicit sign that Bilbo wasn't familiar with mead already.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wonder what the original plan for Arda was, without Melkor's loving it up. A symmetrical, flat world with men and elves living together (no dwarves), lit by the lamps, men not afraid of death / don't distrust the elves. Possibly with the Ainur just wandering around hanging out and making trees, that sort of thing.

Like, what was the plan for how long the world should remain, what changes were expected, etc. One might ask similar questions as to what God intended with Adam, Eve, and Eden before the fall. (The answer in both cases is probably 'boring, pleasant life, forever')

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The plan was always for Melkor to gently caress everything up. Iluvatar had complete control over his design after all. The Valar's plan didn't really have an end goal besides "make a nice place to live" because, on a fundamental level, they didn't understand the children of Iluvatar

The Ainur didn't know they were actually making Arda until it was done, right? I thought they all got together and sang a big song, then Iluvatar said "Check this out, this is what you were making the whole time guys" and showed them the world.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

There is a whole LOTR mmo that was apparently pretty faithful.

It was pretty faithful to the map and descriptions of things, but at the end of the day it's hard to extract MMO classes from what we see in the books, especially when there's an expectation of for-real magic users but the closest we get in the books is Gandalf, a literal angel, lighting pinecones on fire to throw at wolves and generally making bright lights.

When you take Gandalf's ability to inspire hope in his allies and reduce it to hitting '2' to give your allies a 15% boost to hit rate, some of the feeling is going to get lost. I played the game quite a bit and I did enjoy the atmosphere, but I was still going out into the swamp to kill 20 Neeker-breekers or collecting 7 barrow-wight femurs.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd play the hell out of a Dying Earth game, MMO or otherwise

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sil is really good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Octy posted:

Throwback to the discussion on Orc immortality. I thought it was fairly obvious by this line from The Silmarillion: 'For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar'.

Then again, Men are also Children so...

The only thing that line seems to support is that the Orcs were made from corrupted Elves or Men, since only Iluvatar can create "true" life (possessing of free will?) per the story of the creation of the Dwarves.

pre-emptive response against sassassin's usual response about "evil corrupted orcs" being Elven propaganda against noble Melkor: maybe the elves were actually little talking mice, and Sauron was John F Kennedy with a time machine, and hobbits were just invented by a mischievous Gondorian scribe, but I prefer to speculate based on things that actually appear in the texts

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nessus posted:

Isn't "tobacco" ultimately a term from a Native American language? So is "potato" but it's at least at one remove and Tolkien would no doubt be less familiar with South American trivia.

Speculation: "tobacco" didn't meet Tolkien's aesthetic preferences, while "pipe-weed" is exactly the sort of Germanic compound word he would like, especially since both components appear to have been in Old English.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The Witch King also holds up his hand to tell Frodo to shut the gently caress up at the ford of Bruinen and Frodo's tongue cleaves to his mouth as though he's struck dumb. Though whether he's able to do that because of his power or because Frodo is nearly a wraith at that point is uncertain I guess. And of course the blade the Witch King uses is practically sentient (even when it breaks after stabbing Frodo the splinter of it steadily works towards his heart) and has the ability to turn people into wraiths.

I really like the way Tolkien handles the concept of magic. It's mysterious and the rules for it are never explained. At first glance you might say it's tied to the supernatural nature of its users. Gandalf with his fires, Saruman and his voice, etc. And yet, the Nazgul were said to be great kings and sorcerers in their day, and they were only mortal men. Also the elves do many wondrous and magical things such as creating the rings of power, palantirs, silmarils, etc.

Actually Feanor might almost be considered stronger than Sauron, at least when it comes to crafting. Even Sauron couldn't create things like the palantirs and silmarils.

But yeah I enjoy magic more when it's mysterious. GRMM (probably inspired by Tolkien) handles magic in a similar way where the nature of it is less a lot to the imagination. I think it's a more effective way to handle that than making it something everyone understands like it's a d&d spell book or some poo poo.

Regarding mortal sorcerers, didn't the Numenoreans (before their island went all Atlantis) do poo poo closer to the traditional view of "magic" than most of what the Elves do? I certainly remember mention of sacrifices and potions, some (most?) intended to extend life but because they were evil & Iluvatar wasn't into immortality for men it didn't work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lewd Mangabey posted:

In my opinion, one reason Frodo gets short shrift is that the themes of his personality (decency, self-sacrifice, strength in the face of adversity) are the same as the themes of the book overall, and so he tends to get subsumed into being a vehicle of the overall plot.

Also because goons prefer the themes of irony, selfishness, and whining in the face of adversity.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'll take even the most heavy-handed Tolkien references just as a refreshing change from "<X> is Voldemort!!!!!!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The animated hobbit movie is actually a pretty reasonable attempt and captures the feel of a children's book better than the recent trilogy, qtiyd

Also I appreciate that they gave the elvenking a non-English accent

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I'm listening to the audiobook, i had to take a 12 hour flight and nothing is more soothing and sleep inducing than hearing Tolkien drone on about mist and landforms.

The early part, from the shire through the old forest to bombadil and the barrow downs is still my favorite, it feels like the text dwells more on nature and details in those sections, I care less for the wars and fighting in the later bits, especially Rohan

whoa wait JRRT did an audiobook? I don't usually do audiobooks but hearing the man himself might change my mind

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

He's twitchin' because he's got my axe in his nervous system!

Did they actually say "nervous system" in the movie? A linguistic anachronism like that would probably make Tolkien roll over in his grave more than some of the other changes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

The Rankin-Bass Hobbit movie was pretty common children's fare in the 80s as I recall. Kids who would never willingly read a fantasy book were reasonably likely still to have seen that weird cartoon with the froggy guy in the cave and the magic ring.

LotR though, that was a deep cut and I always liked the idea that I was probably one of maybe five people in my high school who had read it, and I could always whip out Silmarillion trivia and pronunciation rules from the Appendices if I wanted to lord it over them like the supercilious shithead I was

One of the English teachers in my middle school taught The Hobbit to his 7th grade class but I was unfortunately not in that class but the one next door. After finishing the book he would show them the movie and we could hear the goblin songs coming through the wall. He was also the cross country coach and would sing FIFTEEN BIRDS IN FIVE FIR TREES from time to time.

There were only a couple kids in high school who read LotR although more tried because the movies were coming out. A friend of mine was convinced that 'Nazgul' referred to the flying creatures the Ringwraiths rode and nothing I could say would dissuade him. His main argument was based on this quote which must have made it into the movie because I know he never finished the books:

quote:

A cold voice answered: ‘Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.’

He took this as the Witch-King referring to his mount rather than talking about himself in the third person.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I thought Nazgul referred to the mounts too as a kid because the word gets used much more commonly in second half, after they start flying. In the first half ring-wraith is used more often. My first read through I'm not sure how much I really understood, especially of books 3 and 5.

My first attempt was in the 8th grade while I was home sick with the flu, and when I got into Two Towers my fevered brain couldn't keep Sauron and Saruman straight, so I quit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

skasion posted:

What gives you the impression that Elrond cares so deeply about the weapons of a place he has never been and never will go to? Elrond is not a grasping individual; he’s the kind of guy who despite being directly descended from the last High King of the Noldor in Beleriand would be content to remain a courtier to another king and wouldn’t even put himself forward to replace said king when he died.

I mean the issue is legitimately confused by the fact that the Elrond of The Hobbit is obviously not written as the literal son of Eärendil son of Idril daughter of Turgon, unlike the Elrond of LOTR. But I don’t think Elrond would have demanded his guests give him the swords they took from defeated enemies, even if the swords were stolen from him to begin with. That’s Thingol territory. Going on what we see in the texts, Elrond really isn’t that into the glory of hoarded wealth and enchanted arms and princely lineage. His kids might be, but he seems well over that sort of thing.

Yeah I mean we're talking about a 6,000 year old being whose father was turned into a star after saving the entire world. Demanding a sword because it was made in his great-grandfather's long-lost kingdom seems out of character. And, as you've pointed out, he's had plenty of opportunity to contemplate what happens when Elves get too attached to things, like that time Feanor's kids tried to kill his mom over a jewel (she turned into a bird tho and went to hang out with her husband, in space)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

euphonium or whatever his username is should feel honored: his posts were so dumb that Hogge Wild spent his sole inter-probation post on them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stupid sexy Shagrat!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I’m going to call a major Haradrim character.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It also sort of reads like one of those plates people get because they've never heard of the phonetic alphabet and think "CBCDCE" is just impossible to properly read out over a radio.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, we know what kind. Ar-Pharazon the Golden

the piss scroll is real

Shibawanko posted:

It looks like it'll fit perfectly in the post-brexit world war 1/2 obsession and like they'll present the war as a straight up allegory...

ah yes, Britain has only been obsessed with WW1/2 after Brexit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

10 Ways Black Cirdan Is More Important Than Ever In Trump's America

Edit: I don't give a single solitary gently caress what color elves are, I would just love it if they didn't give EVERYONE some form of English accent. I actually really liked how the 1977 Hobbit gave the Elf-king some weird Nordic accent.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

skasion posted:

Indeed, it is too far south (should be around the latitude of the bay of Belfalas) and too small (it’s about 750 miles across, so should be about twice the length of the distance from Bree to Rivendell — on the map they’re about the same).