Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hey thread, does anyone know if there's a readily-available edition of LOTR to reference the page numbers with the The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion 2nd edition? Paperback is fine. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey thread, does anyone know if there's a readily-available edition of LOTR to reference the page numbers with the The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion 2nd edition? Paperback is fine. Thanks!

any help plz 👀

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Reading The Silmarillion at the moment and just reached the Beren and Lúthien chapter. Should I skip it and read the full book of that story instead or what do people recommend? I was gonna read that book after Sil anyway and then Children of Hurin and Fall of Gondolin but not sure which would be better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was indeed a great chapter :cheers:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finished the Silmarillion last night, fun book!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If it makes the story good then who that’s ok

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doctor Sleep was miles better than ROP

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I started reading the facsimile edition of The Hobbit last night, it's really cool!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thematically appropriate :hai:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

zoux posted:

I don't know how controversial this is but the first half of the TT and RoTK are, to me, so much more interesting and engaging than the Frodo/Sam stuff. I guess the rules of publishing and editing were different back then, but I can't believe that his publisher let him publish the stories separately instead of alternating between one and the other chapter-by-chapter.

my GF always skips the Frodo/Sam stuff, she thinks it's mega boring lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's in the Unfinished Tales book that I can skip if I've read Silm, Children of Hurin, Beren.., Fall of Gondolin?
Or maybe a better question is what should I read?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Great, thank you!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Was literally watching ROTK with my gf and my housemate came in to tell us he was dead. RIP KING

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Wait did he just die now? Or did he die a few years ago and we're just once again getting nostalgic for one of the best scenes ever put on page or screen?

I was also certain he died a few years ago

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HAIL

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

reading Unfinished Tales right now, it's great. some really good writing in there

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the films rule

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wb must really want to kill PJ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my gf saw the hobbit in 3D IMAX HFR , it was the very first film in that format in the screen, and the entire thing was out of sync lol

:owned:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looked like absolute poo poo and every other filmmaker on the planet agreed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History of the Hobbit arrived yesterday, I think it's the chunkiest book I own :eyepop:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol Warner Brothers are absolute pieces of poo poo. They copyright struck the decade plus-old fanfilm about the hunt for Gollum off of youtube only a day after making their announcement.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm nearly finished The Fall of Numenor book, I'm really enjoying the presentation of it as a chronological document. I'd just read the bigger story of Aldarion and Erendis in Unfinished Tales but reading it again in context made me enjoy it even more. Cool book!