Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Were the Uruk-Hai bred to be smarter than Orcs? Did Tolkien mention it anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

In "Morgoth's Ring" Tolkien says that Saruman bred "man-orcs large and cunning, and orc-men treacherous and vile". My suspicion would be that the former are the fighting Uruk-hai, and the latter are like the ruffians that help him take over the Shire, but Tolkien doesn't explicitly say this. In general though the Uruk-hai don't seem much smarter than regular Orcs so much as more professional -- and after all Orcs aren't necessarily very stupid to begin with. Nothing really suggests they're necessarily intellectually inferior to men, just without any intellectual culture or respect for intellectual pursuit.

Yeah, that has been my understanding of it, but for some reason (D&D?) most online sources say that Uruks are more intelligent. And after all Orcs were said to be great at constructing machines and for war and torture, so they can't have been stupid as such.

Did Tolkien mean Orcs to be an analogy for modern technology obsessed 20th century Western men?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I meant this quote from the Hobbit: "Now goblins are cruel, wicked, and bad-hearted. They make no beautiful things, but they make many clever ones. It is not unlikely that they invented some of the machines that have since troubled the world, especially the ingenious devices for killing large numbers of people at once, for wheels and engines and explosions always delighted them, and also not working with their own hands more than they could help; but in those days and those wild parts they had not advanced (as it is called) so far."

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

Alright, here we go. Big wall of text about Boorman's doomed LOTR script ahead, stitched together from a couple sources:

:chanpop:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Octy posted:

Now I'm picturing Sam giving Frodo a footjob.

That would explain the Proudfoots.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

sweet geek swag posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded Aragorn fighting Sauron, even though I am fully aware of how impossible that should be. But it would have at least been entertaining, and honestly it's less destructive to the themes of Tolkien's work than the scrubbing bubbles. As long as Aragorn loses at least.

Scrubbing bubbles?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

sweet geek swag posted:

The army of the dead at Minas Tirith. They look like the scrubbing bubbles from those old TV ads.

ah, ok

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The Mouth of Sauron should have been a long mouth snaking from the lighthouse.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://youtu.be/hWjt6LGhHsI the best nazgul adaptation

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

I don't remember if they're supposed to have visible faces in the books. When they lose their cloaks they basically become invisible ghosts but maybe they have some kind of facade type thing while they're cloaked? I dunno.

I was playing Shadow of War and actually kind of like it even though it's an even dumber version of the world. I like off-brand Tolkien depictions since the imagery from the movies is so burned into everyone's mind it's refreshing to see any other version, those games also reference more obscure bits of the world, like Nurnen and the blue wizards and stuff, and seem in that way more faithful.

I also like how the Ted Nasmith illustrations look nothing like the movies. This one's my favorite:

Saeros wouldn't have fallen if he hadn't looked down.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Sam weepily announces that one more step and he's the farthest he's ever been from home.

5 minutes later he scolds local thieves Merry and Pippin for "being in Farmer Maggot's crops again".

But who cares if the script is a big dumb mess, right? Just switch your brain off and enjoy it as a new thing?

It's not theft if the upper classes take from the working classes.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Please come say hi in BYOB! We're having Tolkien chat atm: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3765007&perpage=40&pagenumber=1521#post491191838

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://i.imgur.com/gpDc7PV.mp4

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

You have the burden of proving they are from gondolin. I don’t have the burden of proving they are not.

You can’t meet the burden of proof by relying on LOTR. Nothing in LOTR says these swords are from gondolin. Burden cannot be met with Lotr. This is hugely damaging to your argument.

If you instead rely on the Hobbit there are multiple problems with that as have been discussed. Ad nasueum. I agree there is evidence that they may be from gondolin in the Hobbit and that a reasonable person could see some evidence there.

However in the end and considering the works as a whole I don’t think you meet your burden of proving they are from gondolin

By the way your burden of proof is more than “any little bit of evidence I can nitpick or invent” You have to address that you can’t use LOTR to support your argument. This is huge and in my opinion can’t be overcome.

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What are the differencies between the original and the 60s Hobbit?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

60s Hobbit is basically a completely different book about the same plot that gets right up until they’re about to reach Rivendell. The point was to bring Hobbit into more total consistency with LOTR by messing with stuff like how the Last Bridge is dozens of miles away from the trolls in LOTR but apparently right there in The Hobbit. The result is really weird and does a hatchet job on Bilbo in particular, he comes off as a gigantic retard because the narrator isn’t willing to indulge his silliness the same way as the original. The tone of the narrative as a whole is much closer to the relatively withdrawn voice of LOTR, a lot of the narrator’s whimsical little asides are axed. Tolkien asked a correspondent if she thought the result was any good and she politely conveyed that it ripped the guts out of the book.

So it wasn't printed?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

No, not even close. The modern edition of The Hobbit dates from 1966, but it’s just an update of the revised 1951 version (the one that changes the Gollum scene to accord with LOTR). The 1960 Hobbit is an orphaned thing that never got even close to completion before he decided it sucked.

nice

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

Does it say anywhere that elves have long hair usually? Nearly all depictions of them are in that cliched long haired pointy ear style but that's now how I picture them at all. I picture just regular people except with no features associated with aging.

They do have pointy ears, here Tolkien describes hobbits:

I picture a fairly human figure, not a kind of 'fairy' rabbit as some of my British reviewers seem to fancy: fattish in the stomach, shortish in the leg. A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish'; hair short and curling (brown). The feet from the ankles down, covered with brown hairy fur. Clothing: green velvet breeches; red or yellow waistcoat; brown or green jacket; gold (or brass) buttons; a dark green hood and cloak (belonging to a dwarf).
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, 35 (#27)

Here Tolkien also uses "elvish" instead of "elven".

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

It’s a random note he made on an illustration of Legolas which was too twinky for his taste. Sadly we don’t know what illustration, but the remark is cited in Lost Tales 2 (quite out of context, but Chris is using it to show that Tolkien’s early concept of the elves fading away to wimpy little Victorian fairies did not last into the later work):

Nice! Twinks using longbows is one of my pet peeves. You need much more strength to use a proper warbow than a sword or an axe.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I hope that the casting will be non-racist so that there will be black elves.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Aragorn could have said that he's 3 goblins in a trenchcoat.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

Gollum also didn’t knowingly take the ring from the hand of the Lord. It’s a symbolic act of envassalage to do so (think how often Germanic poetic language describes a great lord as “ring-giver” to his liegemen). It primed the Nine to submit to Sauron’s will. It’s stressed that how you first come into the power of a ring shapes how it affects you. Bilbo took so little hurt from it because he began his ownership accidentally and with pity in his heart. Sméagol began his ownership with a terrible crime, but one only motivated by his own petty immoderate desires. His relationship with the ring therefore always remains purely selfish and never brings him into more than temporary alignment with Sauron’s will.

Where did Tolkien write this?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

Which bit?

Thanks, I didn't remember the text saying that the method of getting rings was meaningful to how they worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Didn't Gandalf say something to the effect of "the Enemy is watching for when we frag each other because he figures that is when someone is making a play for the Ring?" Or was that way later on.

I figure Sauron probably was sweating anybody trying to claim it. That probably wouldn't be good for him even if it was Boromir or something.

boromor shmoromir - it's samwise the strong he was afraid of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-piARxy4U