Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

I think one reason Tom Bombadil and the Old Forest feel a bit out of place is that they seem more based on English/ Celtic folklore rather than Germanic or Norse like the rest of the world. Bombadil himself has a lot of similarities with Puck in Kipling's "Puck of Pook's Hill" - he wears odd, brightly coloured clothing, appears playful and talks in rhyme a lot, but has immense power and knowledge. Also both characters refer to themselves as being the oldest thing in the land, and talk about how they have watched all the other races arrive and they will watch them leave because they are an intrinsic part of the land. The Old Forest is unfriendly to outsiders, but not necessarily 'evil' in the same way as Morgoth or Sauron, which parallels the way the land of Faerie is often depicted as dangerous to humans because it is so alien. From this perspective the Bombadil episode works quite well as a way of showing the hobbits' transition out of the Shire and into a land of myth and legend, via their own local folklore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Songs are always the mistake in the dramatization.

Some of the songs are kinda cheesy (I always cringe at the 'sing all ye people' one just before Aragorn is crowned), but I think they did a really good job of integrating the music with the story. In particular I love the way they combined singing and normal voice acting for the Pelennor fields and the death of Theoden.

It might just be because I grew up with the BBC version, but for me it is the definitive dramatization. It captures the sense of an age that is coming to an end in a way that the movies completely fail at IMO.