Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think one reason some of the issues in LotR are there despite Tolkein being aware that they were issues and in there is because to a degree they were just another thing to toss on the pile of "things I'll get around to changing at some point."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Bombadil sucks and is also the best.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm sure orcs generally prefer to force people that aren't orcs to till the soil, but if the only people around to force to till the soil are other orcs that's just how it's going to be.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

poisonpill posted:

Weird that all the things Tolkien did that you’d think later writers would want to take and run with like adapting myths to modern sensibilities, inventing alternative histories, or creating analogies to the Great War, the one thing people really took is “elves live in forests and use bows”.

Lots of people DO run on adapting myths and inventing alternate histories, it's just they mostly know jack poo poo about myths except what other fantasy writers have written about myths and their alternate histories are mostly based on other fantasy books alternate histories.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

Because Morgoth’s discordant rebellion against the great music was still part of the greater workings of Eru Illuvatar, everything he did was divinely ordained and cannot be considered wrong. His only mistake was his defying this fact. I am not accepting any criticism of this post.

If everything he did was divinely ordained then defying that fact was also ordained and can't be considered a mistake.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sassassin posted:

and if they've got the balls a musical number every episode as Tolkien intended.

:hai:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hear the calls for a new thread title but the problem is I still love the current title so much

I am listening though

Current thread title is better than the proposal, don't listen to them.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

poo poo, RIP. JRR couldn't have asked for a better steward of his work, and I hope whoever is managing things now takes equally good care (they won't)

He had already stepped back and let the rest of the family step back from the estate and they immediately started licensing stuff out so uh, wrong tense. Not "they won't" but "they aren't."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's at least two mountain ranges that were just "raised up" out of the ground, and one of them doesn't even exist in the same world as Middle-Earth anymore. I don't remember if there's a particular reason why Mordor looks like such a happy little rectangle though.

Morgoth probably put Sauron in charge of putting it together and he promptly went "you know what's the best shape? the rectangle, but it doesn't have any of those disorganized Curves."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I definitely enjoyed this bit.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I have memories of finding The Magician's Nephew perfectly acceptable as far as Narnia books go, but I that was when I was younger.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think this is in turn a tongue in cheek way to address the common complaint of Why Didn't They Just Take The Eagles *cinema sins noise*

It was a tongue in cheek way to address it but then people took it seriously.

This is why "the eagles were a coverup to avoid admitting they were ransomed by orcs" is better.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

I never heard that one, is there an official nerd theory post on it? I'm imagining something like 'some orc and his bros find the two of them laying on the hill outside the volcano, sell them to Aragorn for either a chest of jewels or a square mile on the coast of Nurn'

Basically, though somewhat more extensive than that, that MOST of the mentions of the eagles outside of the vicinity of the Misty Mountains are actually about orcs. It's from this Elise the Great in this very thread.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sunday at work posted:

Don't Kings generally have a steward or chief advisor? It's not as if Denethor was going to be exiled. His day to day duties and position in the kingdom probably would have stayed mostly the same under a king.

Kings generally have a steward or chief advisor, but despite Denethor being CALLED steward, he is not actually that guy. He is functionally the king, and some other guy is HIS chief advisor. That other guy is also probably a better candidate for Aragorn's chief advisor, because that other guy is the guy who has actually been doing that thing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Merry and Pippin are probably closer to being friends with Frodo, but I doubt they actually know him as well as he and Sam know each other. Yeah for Frodo and Sam it's a patronage relationship, but a patronage relationship that's been going on for basically all of Sam's life, where Merry and Pippin are his distant cousins.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Eöl might count as Evil Elf Like That, Singular though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think broadly speaking, it would be very possible for someone LIKE saruman to claim the ring, but he is basically engaged on this path because he already pitted his spiritual might against Sauron one on one and lost, so the battle for dominance over the ring has already happened and Sauron knows he already won it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

Parts of it happen before the sun and moon so maybe not so much

Parts of it happen before the sun and moon, but also, people who were there before the sun and moon are still around to check "yo this is actually what happened" with.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

We have no idea what she would say.

Do you think none of the elves who the stories are from ever bothered to ask her?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

Maybe

But what if the wrote down the myth instead? Leaders get mythologized all the time. Look at Gilgamesh or what ( i cant remember what roman poet) did for the Ceaser family.

My answer to that what if is "that'd be dumb."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Alhazred posted:

He was a balrog. Gothmog the Balrog. In the movies he was an orc.

There was a Balrog named Gothmog and also a lieutenant of the Witch King during the war of the Ring named Gothmog who is generally assumed to be distinct from the Balrog because if Gothmog the Balrog was around it would be very very clear he was around.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sector Corrector posted:

Just finished the Similarion. Just one question... who's Tom Bombadil?

He's the husband of Goldberry, hope this helps.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

If the film contains all objectively good elements I don’t understand how you can say it’s not objectively good

To those people wanting to move on, I understand that it’s painful to come to terms with the objective world and your meaninglessness in it but you have to sooner or later and the sooner the better.

Objectively good elements can still be incoherent between each other. If you give an objectively good war drama the objectively good score of a buddy cop comedy, that's not gonna work out.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can it really be mythical if the people who were there at the time are still around to recount the tales?

Shibawanko's position is "they're lying or just smiling smuggly and going 'i dunno, do YOU think it's true' if anyone asks."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

I think by the time the 3rd age rolls around all the arrogant super elves are dead. Elrond and even Galadriel are much younger and less fearsome than their forefathers. They'd still take a good chunk of saurons forces with them if they had to fight, but I think they might have learned a thing or two about strife prior to the fall of the beleriand.

Galadriel is "only" like 200 years younger than Feanor so that part not so much.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Imagined posted:

Not to derail, but the Nazi and Unit 731 experiments didn't teach us anything. They were worthless, scientifically speaking, because, among many other problems, they did not attempt proper controls, randomization, or double-blinds, nor were they systematic or reproducible. They were just torture and murder while holding a clipboard. I realize that you were probably saying that, too, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

They weren't scientific but they were empirical, and in some cases unscientific data is a better starting point than no data. I'm pretty sure for the nazis at least MOST of it was worthless because it was scientific but also because so much of it was so monstrous that nobody would ever want to follow up on but there is an exception to that in the Freezing Experiments, which have actually had people citing them in studies on recovery from freezing temperature.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

skasion posted:

Yea, it was Feanor

Elves don’t like dark and black things — remember, “dark elf” was an insult among the Noldor. There also seems to be a bit of a cultural complex about living in caves there — Thingol and the king of Mirkwood live in caves, but the exiles don’t, except Felagund who was the chillest of the Noldor.

Also, when dwarves lived there it wasn’t even dark, according to Gimli.

Dark elf was an insult among the noldor sure but it did not actually refer to being dark or black, it referred to not having seen the two trees.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

skasion posted:

Gandalf believing something doesn’t make it so, he’s no expert and is explaining to someone who also isn’t an expert. The ring contains a part of the power, will, spirit of Sauron and behaves in ways that reflect this. I don’t think it’s losing the plot to say that the ring intends so and so or that it takes such and such an action: it’s not like the ring has a little mind that makes little choices about what to do, but people talk about objects which are not agents as if they were agents all the time; remember trees and rocks are ensouled in Middle-earth, but even today people will talk about their computer or car misbehaving and everyone knows what they mean.

But I think it would be a stretch to say from that that it’s a being or that it is sentient or “has a will of its own” as the movies put it. It’s not a person or a natural object given a soul by God, it’s a subcreation made by hosed-up evil magic. It’s a technology, a kind of power.

It's not a person but it is made out of a person.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

skasion posted:

Saruman and Sauron are the ring experts, yeah. Gandalf is an expert at blowing poo poo up. he’s definitely made a dedicated study of the One and is not completely talking out of his rear end about it, and we would expect he knows a thing or two about less powerful rings just as part of getting his wizard degree (ignoring the fact that he actually has a ring of power, since the text mostly ignores this anyway), but he doesn’t know everything about the ring and is deeply concerned to impress upon Frodo that this poo poo is Serious Business and he shouldn’t get too fond of the Ring, because it’s about to seriously threaten his life.

He knows more about the ring than you do though so I'm more inclined to listen to him than i am to listen to you :v:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The two trees died before the First Age.

:goonsay:

There is actually no definition regard when the first age started, we don't know where the death of the two trees falls in relation
:goonsay:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The first age was explicitly the longest, and The First Age During The Years Of The Sun is only 600 years whereas the second and third both hit 3000, which means it explicitly CAN'T be a separate era.

Honestly the most likely but unconfirmed event for the start of the first age is probably the awakening of the elves, which would produce the equivalent of 4902 sun years in total.

(Also this means i was wrong about not knowing where the death of the two trees is in relation to the first age, it HAS to be within the first age because otherwise the first age would be at most 638 years and very much not the longest)

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 5, 2021

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

But surely after having finished principal photography months ago you can evoke hobbit-like imagery with a better shot than a closeup of a curly-haired person sitting in front of a... lantern near a root? If that's what you're trying to convey, are there really no shots that better than that to sell your potentially-nostalgic audience on the "Wow look it's a hobbit!" moment of your trailer?

I don't know, maybe I'm just nitpicking or way off base about this, but it feels like a poorly cut trailer to me.

Thats what the big wide shots of impressive scenery did. Honestly think it evoked what most people probably think of the lord of the rings movies just fine, seems like it just didn't evoke what you personally remember of the lord of the rings movies.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Ungoliant came from outside the world supposedly.
Ungoliant just straight up lived in valinor even before morgoth went "hey want to eat the trees"
The Valar came from outside the world and lived in valinor.

Conclusion: ungoliant just straight up was a Valar, that didn't interact with the elves much

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ungoliant must almost surely be one of the Ainur by default but she is definitely not a Valar. Also the Silmarillion points out that Melkor knew about Ungoliant prior to going down to the south of Aman to recruit her in destroying the Trees. It’s likely she’s not mysterious to him, it’s just that no one else knows.

That the elves specifically don't know.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mameluke posted:

Ungoliant is from beyond the walls of Night, isn't she? I thought, whatever she was, she was categorically not part of Eru's creation

She's not categorically ANYTHING because everything we've got is explicitly the elves going "we don't know this is our best guess."

However... she straight up lived in Valinor before Morgoth recruited her. The place where Valar and Maiar live. Which kinda... gestures frantically in a certain direction.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Personally I find the too often argued take that the Silmarillion is written in the form of an unreliable and biased narrator pretty dumb and really just an unnecessary attempt to be contrarian.

This isn't talking about "we can't trust what the text tells us" though, this is specifically talking about the text going "we don't know for sure." The subject of conversation isn't the general case it's Ungoliant Specifically.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's not how i personally would've depicted gandalf but it's also not particularly un-gandalf-y either, frankly

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Why does The One Ring give you cards (knowledge) at the cost of life (life)? That's basically the opposite of what it does. It extends life, and in exchange makes you less sane.

Why is its "invisibility" effect a one-and-done thing and not reusable?

Why isn't it an equipment or have some sort of creature-based ability? The One Ring should be able to affect Frodo, Gollum, etc., not (just) you, the player.

Card draw is in effect, power. The ring gives you power, but at a cost, and the most regular "at a cost" in magic is life.

Powerlevel.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
All of the established studios have VAST warehouses full of old props that they can dig through to repurpose, even if they don't do it for foreground stuff and important characters it still frees up a ton of budget for the important stuff they can't repurpose any old props for. It turns out it's really really hard to bootstrap that even if you've got a billion dollars to toss at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It was not used for selectively being impossible to actually agree with in order to target arianism, no. The fact that the arians did not in fact agree with it was used to target arianism.