Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

‘Still that must be expected,’ said Gandalf to himself. ‘He is not half through yet, and to what he will come in the end not even Elrond can foretell. Not to evil, I think. He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.’

This is pretty depressing, it's right after frodo wakes up in Rivendell after the Ford and Gandalf is talking to him. Poor Gandalf and Elrond I guess both know (to an extent) what is doomed to happen to frodo at this point, it seems. I don't know how long frodo spends in the shire after the story is finished, but it's not long, is it, before he goes to Valinor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The way fellowship describes elfs up to this point is "in both worlds at once, Seen and Unseen", and it sounds like Gandalf thinks that Frodo will start to exist only in the Unseen world. Sort of like a wraith except not dominated by Sauron, and thus shadowy dark and evil?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel like I've never really absorbed all the poo poo that they say in the Lorien chapters of fellowship in prior readings because wow that's some crazy stuff. I think the last time I read it I was more focused on the things it says about time.

Also there's a short line about vapor filling the dimrill dale and sounds from deep underground that's a neat foreshadowing of Gandalf v Balrog.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also: Wetwang.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

LOTR has one evil witch. he’s a dude, but still. Tolkien thinks “woman with magic powers” is a cool and sexy archetype, not evil.

It is a fair point about the lions. I guess an accident of the northern European-ish setting: when a big fuckoff animal is required he seems to default to bears. Someone should have told him about cave-lions or saber-tooths or what have you.

Eagles?!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When Boromir talks about stuff during the council of Elrond, I think Gandalf says something at him like "anduin flows past many kingdoms before it comes to gondor" and I'm sorta like, wtf are you talking about Gandalf. It flows past what, Lorien, the Beornings, Rohan sort of and.............................? The orcs of the misty mountains?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The way they talk about Dale and the Lonely Mountain exploding in the like 60 years or whatever since the Hobbit is interesting.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chapter 9 At the Sign of The Prancing Pony posted:

Bree was the chief village of the Bree-land, a small inhabited region, like an island in the empty lands round about. Besides Bree itself, there was Staddle on the other side of the hill, Combe in a deep valley a little further eastward, and Archet on the edge of the Chetwood. Lying round Bree-hill and the villages was a small country of fields and tamed woodland only a few miles broad. The Men of Bree were brown-haired, broad, and rather short, cheerful and independent: they belonged to nobody but themselves; but they were more friendly and familiar with Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves, and other inhabitants of the world about them than was (or is) usual with Big People. According to their own tales they were the original inhabitants and were the descendants of the first Men that ever wandered into the West of the middle-world. Few had survived the turmoils of the Elder Days; but when the Kings returned again over the Great Sea they had found the Bree-men still there, and they were still there now, when the memory of the old Kings had faded into the grass. In those days no other Men had settled dwellings so far west, or within a hundred leagues of the Shire. But in the wild lands beyond Bree there were mysterious wanderers. The Bree-folk called them Rangers, and knew nothing of their origin. They were taller and darker than the Men of Bree and were believed to have strange powers of sight and hearing, and to understand the languages of beasts and birds. They roamed at will southwards, and eastwards even as far as the Misty Mountains; but they were now few and rarely seen. When they appeared they brought news from afar, and told strange forgotten tales which were eagerly listened to; but the Bree-folk did not make friends of them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Rivendell survives by being secret not by being big. It was founded as a refuge at a time when Sauron’s forces were actively engaged in overrunning all of Eriador.

Also by the power of Elrond's ring, I think. Galadriel talks about how she keeps Sauron from Seeing Lorien with his Eye by virtue of the power of her ring.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Seems to completely ignore orcs

The article is titled "Men of Eriador" in the first paragraph.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Man rip pippin

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

This is part of what makes pre-American-release-of-LOTR fantasists interesting imo. Many of them have this similarly elaborate implicit myth-historical framing—usually with less reading to back it up than Tolkien, and quality varies wildly of course, but at least you’re reading pastiche by a classics dork rather than a D&D guy.

I'd say HP Lovecraft, for example. But I'm pretty sure there's loads of weird American fantasy stuff like you're talking about. Lovecraft is just sort of one of the most well known I think.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I read a wizard of earthsea recently and it was insanely good. Not very new ofc lol, but definitely post Tolkien.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

I was thinking of Robert Howard first and foremost but yeah. Lovecraft’s handful of fantasy stories are pretty good and his scifi sometimes hits the same tone. Leigh Brackett, Fritz Leiber, Clark Ashton Smith. Probably forgetting others. There’s good fantasists today too obviously but some of the older pulp guys aren’t half bad

I think it's an indictment of me that I had to Google Robert Howard. Familiar with Conan ofc, but never read it. Probably should. Pretty depressing end to Howard's life, wow.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah when you read the song aragorn sings in fellowship it paints that picture pretty well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The wound to morgoths foot causes like a psychological wound to his ego, and because of morgoths whole attitude, it becomes permanent. The Vala are spirits and don't have physical forms. So him limping around is just a manifestation of his bruised self esteem. It is entirely real in that sense, it does actually "wound" him and weaken him.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Was the watcher in the water like a product of the void seeping into middle earth from below. It's kind of funny it got outside and is probably gonna sit there for the next eternity. I bet the dwarves could kill it. Drain the big lake its in or something.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

That's just a bottle though.

A very pretty bottle :shobon:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I trust gandalf with my life.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think very few people knew who had the rings. Probably the people who had them and like, cirdan, because he gave his to Gandalf. Saruman would have tried to take Gandalfs ring if he knew.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When I was a kid I was so hyped up when Sam beats shelob by getting her to slam down on Sting I cried with joy. I told my mom and she made fun of me lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

Aragorn explaining what the hell is going on is important both for gaining the Hobbits' trust by speaking candidly, and for getting them to understand how little room for error they have now that Gandalf is missing.

Ya that and ofc frodo's near death/shade experience are what influence him greatly to choose to be the ring bearer at the council of elrond.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hello I used knowledge from this thread to impress a girl, thank you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess Gollum is just missing the suit.