Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRdMQu10hU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

OPAONI posted:

I think the art direction, costuming, and score are all basically perfect, even if I agree about the Pelennor Fields ought to be orchards and farmland not.... empty plains.

I don’t remember farmland in Rohan either. It's as if the Shire supplied the entirety of Middle-Earth with maize and tomatoes.
And cabbages. And carrots, sausages and whatnot.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

skasion posted:

If they don’t do anything then yes they will lose. But the wise guys believe that winning is possible if they do the right thing. Defeat is evitable as long as they have faith that God’s got their back. Despairing certainty of Sauron’s victory is a bad thing that paralyzes people. It’s a literal weapon Sauron uses against his enemies, like the wraiths overflying Minas Tirith to break the spirits of the defenders.

It's the old heroic trope, of fighting on even if there is no hope left at all, but from a Christian viewpoint. You don’t have to do it for honor or because you swore an oath to do so, you have to do it because maybe, just maybe, God will intervene.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

HIJK posted:

Just finished my Christmas FOTR rewatch, extended edition. I think Fellowship is the roughest of the films, especially the extended version. The scenes don't always transition into each other well, and there's weird decisions like adding slo-mo for dramatic effect. I don't think the movie really comes together until they see the statues.

But then you get to Amon Hen and oh jesus it just clicks. I know exactly what happens and I'm still begging Boromir not to do it, and I still start crying when Aragorn says "I would have followed you into the fires of Mordor." I'm still crying a little typing this because of how amazing the Amon Hen fight scene is. It's not this fetishy punchman scene, you feel the hits Aragorn and Boromir are taking and how fragile they actually are and then Boromir starts blowing the Horn of Gondor and you know its hosed and Aragorn won't get there in time, no one will. But Boromir keeps fighting anyway even after Lurtz shoots him.

Aragorn chopping his head off is so loving satisfying.

My brother, my captain, my king.

Best thing about the whole fight sequence is John Rhys-Davies whaling on the stuntmen with his axe.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In the books Theodon wasn’t under some magical spell that he needed to recover then from. He was just essentially locked away from the real word by a duplicitous advisor who had worked hard to isolate him from anyone else.
A bit like Covid-19 actually.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of hobbits in the Shire, give me a movie that's just 3 hours of Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin wandering through the Shire just like the very start of Frodo's journey in Fellowship.

:colbert: and this time the smiley's name is appropriate because he's a huge Tolkien nerd

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah most of the bad decisions (elfs in helm's deep, fangorn being very stupid, faramir, denethor as callously incompetent, theoden being an arsehole etc) are mostly trying for something reasonable. many changes are straightforwardly good, and most of the cast condensation was very well executed. changing from the red arrow to the beacons was imo appropriate, for instance. cutting the weirder non-critical parts like tom bombadil or ghân-buri-ghân was also probably for the best. they hit more than they missed with the adaptation, even if they made a few too many concessions to hollywood convention in my view

For some of the cut content they still put in little easily missable details, like the trolls after Weathertop, the pucel-man statues at Dunharrow, the Silent Watchers at Cirith Ungol etc.
Unfortunately many of them only made it to the extended cut.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

webmeister posted:

Wow, Strider is a super lovely nickname to give someone with no feet

He was called Trotter then, because of his wooden feet.

No, seriously.

… efb :eng99:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if Sauron had made The One Ring a cockring, no one else could have worn it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do9xPQHI9G0

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Beleg is second only to Finrod as well as friends of Men go.

But Fingolfin is the best elf.

Called out Morgoth himself to single combat, and even when he was beaten hurt him so much that the big coward never left his fortress again until he was dragged out by Tulkas kicking and screaming? Hell yeah.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I used to post on a big scifi forum and inevitably whenever Tolkien's environmentalist ethics in LOTR came up - or for us man-children, the entire Artemis Fowl series - people would get all pissy and defensive. "Tolkien thinks we're bad because we chop down trees. But we NEED to chop down trees! gently caress your trees!"

Aulë posted:

Nonetheless they will have need of wood.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Toebone posted:

That’s not how Old Man Willow saw it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twXtx6Qxjjk&t=8570s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

They better not have put gurthang in the show.

Plot twist: Narsil was actually Gurthang, Telchar stole it from Turin’s grave and reforged it. Apparently that meteorite consisted of really low quality iron, poo poo keeps breaking.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Over in the other Tolkien thread, a poster is describing the challenge of translating LotR for Chinese family members. The best bit of the whole thing is their translation of Theoden King; he becomes:

Theoden Khan. It just works, doesn't it!

Link, please?

E: also now I'm picturing Saruman on his balcony going KHAAAAAAN!

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 11, 2022

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

galagazombie posted:

It's hard to imagine a Ringwraith showing up one day in some Easterling Kingdom saying your taxes are due.

Why not? It’s like Darth Vader suddenly showing up on your backwater planet, and he likely would have a lot of heavily armed guys recruited from the last place he went to.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

A Moose posted:

I mean, the Rankin Bass Lord of the Rings wasn't exactly good, but people still watch it. The bar is not high. Just needs to be better than the Hobbit movies

The Bakshi LotR was good enough that Peter Jackson stole from it wholesale.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Here it is actually being sung (by Bill Nighy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBecwqNGkM

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I just want weirdo mystical lotr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKf-83NSigM&t=10s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Grapes! posted:

This is pretty cool. Is there an easy accessible collection of other Tolkien artwork like this from LOTR?

I gotta be honest I do like the Evil Howe Tower though.

Pictures by J.R.R.Tolkien was finally re-released last year.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

But Ëarendil is Venus!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Oracle posted:

There's no umlaut, totally different name.

That's a diæresis. :colbert:

Fun fact: The original German translation spelled it "Eärendil", which is an umlaut in German.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, the Fortress of Evil in Time Bandits is the ideal of Barad-dur as far as I'm concerned.

Now I'm picturing Sauron turning people into adorable dogs.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Imagined posted:

I know Godzilla's iconic screech/roar was made from the sound of something scraping a metal cable, and the blaster sounds in Star Wars were made from plucking them.

The Balrog's growling before it first appears was made by dragging a cinderblock on concrete (also mentioned in one of the comment tracks).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Kaysette posted:

I’m at the part of my RotK relisten where Legolas sees a seagull and it breaks his brain. Everyone else got these wild prophecies from Galadriel but she just tells Legolas “don’t go near the ocean lol” then he hears a seagull and goes “ ah gently caress, my brain!”

I get why it happens to elves but it still makes me chuckle a bit.

I told you about gulls bro, I warned you dog!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Imagined posted:

Also it feels like neither the books and especially not the films (we don't talk about The Hobbit movies) use the fact that he's literally a prince at all. It's just mentioned once in passing and then is never relevant again. Particularly thought it was weird when Gimli says "Do you think your halls are fair, where your king..." 'Your king'? Oh, you mean 'my dad'??

Perhaps that's because Gimli at this point has accepted that Legolas is not such a bad guy, but he still thinks of his father as "that rear end in a top hat who put Dad into prison."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Turin was much less of an rear end in a top hat than Kullervo.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Imagined posted:

So how many cliff faces overhung with waterfalls falling into a pool below are there in Ithilien that just blindfolding people on the way there would prevent them from finding it again or telling someone else where it is?

Imagine someone blindfolded you and led you to Yosemite Falls before uncovering your eyes. Don't you think you could describe the place afterwards well enough for someone else to find it if someone forced you?

It might work if the waterfall itself is shielded from view, e.g., being in an enclosed valley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U5Wa8igaDs&t=705s

But of course, with flying Nazgûl running air reconnaissance, that wouldn't last forever.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

(I still say give the Elves Finnish accents, cowards)

The High Elves, sure. Welsh for the Sindar, though.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

It's not cynical, mind you. It's just inevitability. Having a fatalistic view of the world doesn't mean you resign yourself to pain and suffering, it means you focus on your purpose in life and how you live it. You might not live in the golden years of the world and you might die of sickness or old age, but you make drat sure you live your life as best you can and hold the darkness of entropy off for a little while longer.

I always have been fond of

Hávamál posted:

It befits a man to be merry and glad
Until the day of his death.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Nessus posted:

I suspect this may come from before Lovecraft, as Lovecraft was not well known outside of the niche press in America when Tolkien was writing. However I suspect Tolkien could well have read Lord Dunsany and Arthur Machen, who were both big influences on Ol' Racist Howie.

Tolkien definitely read Dunsany, he referenced "Chu-Bu and Sheemish" (from The Book of Wonder) in a text quoted in Letters, #294.

His poem The Mewlips also reminds me strongly of some of Dunsany's tales, like The Hoard of the Gibbelins.

Lord Dunsany posted:

… and the tale is one of those that have not a happy ending.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Oracle posted:

Queen Berúthiel would like a word with you.

She (and the cats she used to spy on people) was bad though.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I actually really like the idea that Saruman just walked with Gandalf up to the top of orthanc then ducked back down the stairs and locked the door.

IIRC that’s basically how that scene plays out in the Bakshi LotR.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgnt094Z5Rg

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 25, 2022

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

MrMojok posted:

That draft kind of makes it sound like what he was envisioning was a Bakshi-type balrog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kylnv0eTsGc&t=16s

The Balrog shows up later in the Bakshi movie in some stills illustrating Gandalf's narration of their fight, and looks much cooler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEgHjCWeFd0

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Imagined posted:

Hand-drawn animation is one of the most ball-achingly expensive, time-consuming, hardest forms of production ever conceived. Even a company with the size and talent pool of Disney found it onerous. It's no surprise that almost invariably anyone smaller than that who tried it either went bankrupt, had to cut corners and scale back their ambitions, or both.

You forgot to mention outsourcing to North Korea.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

so valinor is like australia or siberia, and the king just exiles unwanted people there

and why would they use words like "political"

the amazon elves seem to suffer from the same vulcan syndrome as the jackson elves

they had a billion dollar budget, why didn't they show morgoth and ungoliant?

Didn’t have the rights?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

In other Silmarillion news there's an edition with Tolkien's own illustrations out in a couple of months: https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-silmarillion/j-r-r-tolkien/christopher-tolkien/9780008537890

Lol, those "media reviews" are word for word the same as on the back of the 1979 paperback. You'd think that in 43 years there would have been a few more reviews.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I doubt Finarfin would have fathered Finrod before Finwë fathered Feanor.

Forsooth.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

I figured out who the Stranger is. He's the Maia of the Moon, Tilion, and we witnessed the origin of the myth that became Frodo's song in the Prancing Pony.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

This is brilliant.

Meanwhile...

I took the release of the show as a sign that it's time to upgrade my ancient paperpbacks of Tolkien's works to some nice hardcover editions. I wanted to post these here, in case someone is in the same boat and wants some guidance.

The 2004 LOTR edition is really nice, it's not illustrated except for a large foldable facsimile of the Book of Marzabul and 2 rather simplistic maps made by Christopher Tolkien. Maybe the typeset could be a bit larger for my taste but it's printed on the same thin, silky paper that some really old leatherbound classics that I own (Shakespeare, Schiller and others) are printed on and that makes up for that drawback. There are newer editions ofc, but the fancy one from 2021 has a cover in a rather garish red and the *really fancy one* that is coming in 2 months seems even worse, while this here is more subtle.

The Silmarillion's paper feels more like standard printer paper, although the book cover with the inlay of Maglor throwing the last Silmaril into the sea, looks and feels great. The typeset might be a tiny bit larger than in the LOTR book and it has colored illustrations, as well as a very nice map of Beleriand.

Both books come with sturdy sleeves and the bindings also appear robust.

If you are interested in buying the same book, I put the ISBN-10 numbers into the comments section of the gallery. Below is the link to the gallery on Imgur:

https://imgur.com/gallery/7evY4LK

I bought some more stuff, which I can post later.

Although my native language is Austrian-German I really prefer to read these books in English. All the German translations have some issues, which is a shame because there are at least 2 very beautiful editions available. The older translation by Margaret Carroux is the one I prefer, but some consider it a bit "dry". There is a newer translation by Wolfgang Krege and he tried to modernize the language a little, so that it appeals more to younger readers. But that ended up with Sam calling Frodo "Chef" in German, which translates into "Boss" in English. And the Nazgûl became "lange Kerle in grauen Hemden", "tall guys in gray shirts".

I knew about the Chef bit and about the wagging leaves, but that last bit…
The Carroux translation is one of the better ones overall, she actually consulted Tolkien about a lot of the names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

AJA posted:

Stop ruining my cul-de-sac joke :colbert:

That is actually what Bag End is called in the French translation (at least the old one, I haven't read the supposedly better new one).