Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hogge Wild posted:

why are americans obsessed with happy endings

Cause the world is already too depressing as it is, don't really want it leaching over into my fiction as well

jivjov posted:

If I wanted to collect this particular printing of The History of Middle Earth:

Is there a good way to go about it? Amazon has like 30 different versions and editions listed, and its really hard to track down this particular design.

I'd be interested in that as well

jivjov posted:

Most of the movie depictions have taken permanent residence in my imagination...but the hobbits are never tubby enough.

I appreciate the movie depictions but definitely prefer a lot of the pre-movie interpretations in art, and a couple post-movie concepts as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I assume that in-universe they are dressed normally(at least through Bree), the billowing cloaks is just a visual cue for the audience in visual media(also I need to rewatch it, but I think the Bakshi film had them not do the cloak thing, but I could be wrong, it's been a couple years since I last saw it)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I figured as much. While I'm here has anyone ever seen a good depiction of a balrog that didn't look like hulking horned demon? I'd always pictured them as a large man shaped blackness that was on fire. I'm not sure what Tolkien had in mind when he described them. I seem to remember he was unhappy with them being depicted as winged and bestial but at the same time I remember him describing subjecting elves to the "torture of balrogs" with "tooth and claw".

Well the Ralph Bakshi LOTR movie was a bit closer to what you're wanting

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

When it comes to Middle Earth art these days, my favorite is from an artist over on Deviantart who goes by Turner Mohan, there's a sense of believability to his stuff(but at the same time not held back by "realism" needlessly) while still retaining the inherent fantasy of the setting, especially love the way he draws the Orcs, and he did an absolutely lovely piece for the Blue Wizards

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, Ainulindale and Valaquenta are my favorite parts of the book. :negative:

Agreed

This is still the best thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

joat mon posted:

cleave - Originally two different verbs that had different conjugation patterns that helped keep them separate. One meant to join, the other meant to separate.
dust - I dusted (removed stuff from) the nicknacks. I dusted (added stuff to) the counter with flour before I rolled out the pie crust.
oversight - The oversight (missing something) occurred because I wasn't exercising enoughgh oversight (watching something closely)
awful - Originally meant "full of awe" and used to describe wonderful (full of wonder) things like God, or an overwhelming amount, like an awful responsibility. Also, awful as in terrible.
left - Once he left (departed), I was all that was left (remaining)
sanguine - bloodythirsty. Also, cheerful, hopeful. This self antonym has its origins in the theory of bodily humors.

Kinda funny how both meanings of Awful can be used to describe this site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

elise the great posted:

Like, what was Tolkien's endgame for humanity?

For us to die, since Humans and Hobbits are the only race to experience True Death