Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
When the Elvensmith first heard Sauron pronounce the incantation on the Ring, was it in Black Speech too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's kind of funny how, despite its centrality, there's so little information on the whole poem. We don't know who came up with it in-universe outside of the "One Ring" part, nor when it happened.

Also lol:

https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ring_Verse posted:

J.R.R. Tolkien has said that he first thought of the Ring Verse while taking a bath.[6]

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Imagine a history of the Hobbits written in the style of the Silmarillion.

"Mighty was the swing of Bandobras..."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
He was just Beorn this way.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Alhazred posted:

With the most adventurous woman in Middle Earth.

Or the most adventurous bear.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Men's ultimate fate is to be plugged into Arda 2 while Eru creates another race to start the cycle anew.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Pham Nuwen posted:

the goddess of being 16 and posting in your livejournal

come to the fairest city in all creation and hang out in the light of the Trees? Nah I'm ok, I think I'll just sit here and look out into the void for another millennia or three.

also broke up with the band to start a solo career

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I wonder how many elements in The Hobbit+LotR could be considered knockoffs of something grander within the Legendarium. The Arkenstone's the Great Value Silmaril, Sauron and Morgoth, Aragorn and Arwen vs Beren and Luthien, etc.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The story of the Prequels is the story of the fall of the Jedi Order. Yoda being a failure was kind of baked in.

The Second Age isn't specifically about Galadriel's failures. She was there, but what is described of her involvement seems to put her in a more contrarian role. But then again some of the elf lords ought to have been played for fools by Annatar, and she's relatively power hungry compared to her peers so it's not unreasonable to have her be flawed, even if the series' interpretation is a massive stretch. Hell, she feels very inconsistent even as her own character.

Anyway the elf who should have been the focus of Sauron's deception/weird romance attempt was Celebrimbor, obviously.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

DeimosRising posted:

The dudes from Hokkaido? This gets more and more confusing

That's why no Men could sail to the West to meet them: you'd just run into America.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
There was a temple and Eru-worship in Númenor before Sauron corrupted it but that doesn't seem to extend to the Free Peoples in general. The Elves know for a fact the Valar are real so they'll occasionally have gestures of respect, especially if it's one they're genuinely fond of like Varda/Elbereth, along with invocations for important events like marriages. They don't seem to have a clergy - if anyone, I'd expect elven lords and such to be the ones to assume that role if needed.

There's even less information on what Men do but it seems to be a vaguely similar deal (Faramir has a gesture toward the west before meal), which makes it seem like their customs derive from the Elves, at least among the learned. And of course, we don't see much of the lower classes in general, which might have entirely different practices.

It's part of the idealized worldbuilding I guess. God's existence is beyond question and piety is quietly expressed through a righteous life.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I figured "Durin's Bane" was either a generic term to describe the mysterious disaster that caused the fall of Moria, or something Gimli made up on the spot. I don't think they even suspected it was caused by a specific individual monster.

They agree it's a dangerous place because there was a thriving community there that suddenly disappeared, and because it's right in the middle of a mountain range crawling with orcs and other creatures. Doubt any of them expected something that bad was down there, though both Legolas and Gandalf recognize it when they run into it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
more like Mauron

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
How did they know it would work, was there a 10th Nazgûl?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I feel like if you don't specifically turn into a wraith from the slow corruption of a Ring of Power you don't get to join the club. They'd have the Barrow-Wights babysit him or something.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's not exactly going to be tricky to suss out that the legendarily wise rulers of the four remaining Elven-realms in Middle-Earth are the most obvious choice to hold the Three, especially since at least three of them have some sort of magical effect acting on or associated with them (and the Grey Havens might, even if we're not really told about it).

Which one of the four didn't have a ring might have been the hardest to deduce, and Círdan secretly giving his to Gandalf probably made it a much trickier puzzle - Elrond and Galadriel are obvious but which of the two others, Círdan or Thranduil, has the third? Trick question, it's neither! I doubt Saruman ever figured that out.

I wonder if he was hoping that the ring he made in an attempt to duplicate the Great Rings (he calls himself "Saruman Ring-Maker" when he's trying to get Gandalf on his team) would help him see through the ability of a Ring-wearer to hide their Ring from the perception of others, as Galadriel explains to Frodo. Obviously it doesn't work, or he'd have spotted Narya on Gandalf's finger, which would have answered that question, and also royally pissed him off given his jealousy of Gandalf.

Interesting, but Thranduil as a suspected Ringbearer feels strange to be honest, he always seemed to be of lesser standing than the others, both in ancestry and in his domain being more corrupted.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I like the notion of Tolkien nerds passing parodies around like it's forbidden knowledge.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
One, Gandalf needs to be whiter, angrier, and have access to a magic horse. Two, whenever Gandalf’s not on the page, all the other characters should be asking 'Where’s Gandalf?'

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

zoux posted:

You know for years I had Joesph Campbell mixed up with Joesph Conrad so I thought the whole heroes journey thing was written by the guy who did Heart of Darkness. I was like, that book doesn't follow any of his own rules

I was the same with Campbell and John W. Campbell.

zoux posted:

It's interesting all the ways that LotR violates the "rules" of fiction writing they teach you in creative writing classes.

How do you mean?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Aragorn explaining what the hell is going on is important both for gaining the Hobbits' trust by speaking candidly, and for getting them to understand how little room for error they have now that Gandalf is missing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Denethor and Saruman fell to Sauron Derangement Syndrome

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Hobbits were the original cottagecore guys

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Isn't it literally a black pit tho?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Bernard Hill's Theoden is pretty different from book Theoden too but he's still one of my favorite movie characters. He's a good example of what the movies tried to do, where they accentuate his flaws to give him an arc so there can be further payoff later. And what a payoff it is.

Movie Theoden is also one of the most conflicted and relatable characters in Two Towers + the first half of Return, where the Fellowship characters are kind of in a lull dramatically. Hill's performance does a lot to keep you invested during that part.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Turns out there was nothing supernatural about the Ringwraiths following Frodo by smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Carry the Ring Frodo, or Bilbo will have to do it again.