Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
What's up with those watcher dudes in cirith ungol? Were they magic stones or actual magic dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Just finished reading children of hurin for the first time and goddamn sucks to be that family

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Do orcs go to the halls of mandos or whatever when they get killed?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Just finished a re read of the silmarillion. Starting the Hobbit now and the tone difference is wild. Especially with the elves

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What's the deal with beorn? Is he a man who's also magic or what

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I feel like a man bear wouldnt have all those animals but a bear man for sure would

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

After going through the Silmarillion, reading the part of the Hobbit where Bilbo first meets smaug hits a bit different. Bilbo just poo poo talking Glaurungs great grandson

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

GodFish posted:

I always remember them as a slog and think about skipping but I always end up engaged and enjoying then anyway.
Same. I just started a re read of the books and when Gandalf is giving frodo the ring history and mentions Mordor, I caught myself thinking "hell ya those chapters"

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The true heart and soul is Bilbo burning everyone as he fucks off out of the Shire

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

It helps the new reader who just read the Hobbit transition into the new feel.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Re reading the Hobbit and lotr directly after the Silmarillion has me wondering if Tulkas wants to stomp Sauron more than he did Morgoth or less??

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I like how Gildor and the other elves don't say poo poo when they run into Frodo and crew right after a Black Rider was trying to sniff them out.

No hint of "oh gently caress we know the entire history of this one", just like "hmm come with us for a long rear end walk"

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Tbf Gildor also has a vibe of "I feel like if I say anything I'm gonna gently caress this up in a way I can't even foresee"

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Cat Sauron confirmed

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Never appreciated until my current read through that even Tom Bombadil had respect for farmer maggot, drat

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

In fellowship when they're waiting to have the council, Elrond's sons come back with some info they're only willing to tell him alone.

I can't remember, does that come up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Ah ya, that all makes sense.

I just finished the lothlorien section in my re-read. I enjoy all the elves being like "magic??? This is just elf poo poo, bro"