Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have started re-reading the trilogy after seeing the Hobbit movie with my kids. That got me interested in the wider history of ME, which I haven't really got into before now. I read the Silmarillion as a teen, but I don't remember much. I think I just skipped to the parts with dragons and poo poo.

I was so stoked to find this thread and so disappointed to find it was only five pages long. I have been reading other forums and Jesus they suck. SA has spoiled me. Half the posts are people making stupid jokes with smilies or talking about pipe weed as ganja or asking about how orcs gently caress.

I wish I could contribute more to this thread, but as of right now I just have two questions. First: Why do the Elves know so much about healing if they never get sick?

And also, I assumed that Frodo's time with the ring is what caused him to become all depressed and leave the Shire to go live with elves. But, I was reading FotR last night and I got to the part where he was recovering in Rivendell after getting stabbed by the Morgul-blade. Gandalf says to his self that not even Elrond can tell what will happen to Frodo in the long term, and that he might end up as clear as glass with a light shining out, and that his arm already looked insubstantial (although he told Frodo he looked just great!). Now I am wondering if it's his wound that caused him to travel off with the Elves. Is there any merit to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Right. I was wondering what Galdalf meant when he said (and I can't quote it exactly right now, I don't have the book handy) that Frodo could end up something like clear glass with a light shining out. It sounded to me that Frodo would end up becoming very wraithlike regardless. Whitch is worse than pains.

But I am probably reading too much into it.