Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

skasion posted:

This dude is deffo a Ringwraith. “His breath came like the hiss of snakes”

If not a Ringraith then probably a black Numenorean like the Mouth of Sauron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Does it really still count as genre fiction when the text in question is the foundational work of the genre itself?

Like Frankenstien is undoubtedly scifi horror but it's pretty much the first book of that kind so everyone just considers it part of the English lit canon.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 19, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wait so first the big spider turned out to be a hot lady, and now one of the Nazgul?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I've always had it in my head that the Entwives just look like Goldberry.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tolkien Prof is good stuff.

But I'd maybe listen after finishing your reread.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 28, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

euphronius posted:

As long as you don’t give him money lol.

is this where I find out that Corey Olson has been milkshake ducked?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mahoning posted:

The Exploring the Lord of the Rings podcast by the Tolkien Professor was good until around the time of Tom Bombadil when the entire podcast slows to a crawl and he sometimes goes entire episodes without getting through a single paragraph. It’s not a great reading companion at all.

Wow, I've actually not listened to the Tolkien Prof podcasts for a long time now (I used to have a job where I could play podcasts all day in the background, and was listening to them as they were released), so wasn't even aware of this series. Am I right in thinking that its about 70 hours of audio to even get to the Bombadil chapters?

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 29, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't think that even Tolkien was that big of a nerd.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What are the stars in Tolkienverse? They seem to function the same way, there's descriptions of constellations and individual stars that match with our own (Northern hemisphere), and Aragon I think mentions that the stars in the South are different.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Imagined posted:

Speaking of animals in the books, I always wondered why Sam would call the pony he got from Bill Ferny "Bill" if they all hated Bill Ferny.

Sam was just really unimaginative with names, hell Frodo names like half his kids and the rest are named after people he knows.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Now everybody from the 313 put your motherfucking hands up and follow me

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dwarf Fortress but with Dwarves.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Well holy smokes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can I mentally lathe a stardew valley clone where you are Sam replanting the Shire.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wait Veep was a remake of 'a Downing Street version of Veep' or did I just :thejoke:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Thought it was more the case that rights for adaptation of the main books are currently owned by New Line, so Amazon got everything else.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I liked when that one Orc said "Looks like meats back on the menu boys". Tolkien would have agreed with the addition.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I still remember the stoner hilarity between my friends and I when it was announced that the guy who made Bad Taste was getting the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

drat we must have watched Bad Taste nearly every weekend before that.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Shibawanko posted:

making the hobbit a trilogy was the right call but one entire movie should've been about the dwarves walking through mirkwood silently with very little action

Shot in Black and White, runtime 474min, directed by Béla Tarr.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I reread the full trilogy at least once every couple of years. Wanting to pick up the conclusion after a 20 year gap and a wikipedia synopsis is maniac like behaviour.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tom Bombadil owns.

Bombadil haters gtfo.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Shibawanko posted:

at least i remember more than 3 scenes from the hobbit movies

Yeah but I bet that at least two of those sucked.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 18, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Safety Biscuits posted:

Did Tolkien ever talk about why the timespan of the Middle-earth stories is so vast, or how it came about? Did he sit down one day and think "Yeah, 3000 years sounds good, or was it a gradual thing?

I think if he'd actually attempted to write a narrative version of events he would have condensed things down to decades.

Like so much happens in the Lord of the Rings, the bulk of it over the course of a a year. If he'd decided to do a book or trilogy on the 2A he'd either have had to stick with the nothing much happened for a long rear end time, or revise his timeline down to sonething a bit snappier.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Peter Hitchens is not a fan of pipeweed.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm re-listening to toe Corey Olsen lectures on LOTR which are great, just wish the audio quality was better because you can't really hear the student questions. He does make some fantastically cringeworthy dad jokes throughout the whole thing which really helps keep things light. Almost makes me want to read the Silmarillion (almost).

Just past the chapter with the Nazgul at the Ford, and the movies really did Frodo dirty here by making him unconscious and giving the lines to Arwen. It's such a pivotal moment for the character, overcoming the temptation of the ring, defying the Witch King and drawing his sword on them. Plus if he hadn't found that strength they'd just have rushed him, the river wouldn't have been magicked up into a flood, and Glorfindel wouldn't have shown up in time to chase them all into it.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 23, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Data Graham posted:

Man I've got so many petulant pedantic gripes about Olsen's audio quality. Like pounding on the table to accentuate a point, so all I hear is THOOOM and sometimes it literally blows out my speakers

Or always having his cohosts on at volume level 2 when he's at 35, so all you hear is "bzzzbzbbz bz bzz bz zbbz bzb" "EXACTLY" "bzbz bzbbbzb bz zb zb bzb bzb z bz bzb zzb bzb zbbz b zbz bz hahaha" "EXAAACTLY"

Like dude I'm not saying hire an actual editor but at least have someone listen to your stuff and give you some feedback before you just fire it out

So annoying because I want to hear all the actual material

I can give him a pass for the lecture series because it sounds like an echoey hall and recorded on a dictaphone, but bad audio for stuff done in a studio or at least with proper microphones is unforgivable.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 23, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mike N Eich posted:

Read the Silmarillion! I read it for the first time in the past few months and loved it. its really not that difficult, it just has a very different tone than LOTR. Much more of a historical narrative, not a personal one.

I do own it, but have never managed more than a page or two before giving up. Am I doing wrong?

Maybe I'll try reading along with the olsen silmarillion lectures.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The faramir changes still get me mad to this day. That and making Aragorn a reluctant leader, like the dude knows who he is in the book, he's all action.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
New Aragorn just dropped.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

mossyfisk posted:

They don't have rights to the Silmarillion, it's based on the LotR appendices.

I think the rights are more murky than that, they can use stuff not in the appendices too but only if cleared by the estate. New Line owns the Hobbit/LOTR rights though, so they can't do anything that touches on those books.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The oathbreaker army sucks, I hate it so much. I hate that they're all green and spectral, I hate that there is some king guy who tries to defy Aragorn. Why is there an avalanche of human skulls?

Aragorn marching under black banners at the front of an army of ghosts, while people refer to him as the king of the dead, and acting as if he's welding the ring is legitimately great. The movies brush over all that, in favour of boring rear end battle scenes with legolas surfing down an elephant trunk.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Meats back on the menu is fine, Lord of the Rings is a translation into English from the original Westernesse so apt that the translator(s) have made some adaptations to fit in with modern English understanding.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, and I realize I am taking this tangent way too far, but can you imagine the word “menu” being a part of any of the numerous orc dialects, or a part of The Black Speech

Entrées

Maggoty bread $5.00
Hobbit legs $6.50

Mains

Manflesh $15.00

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Trin Tragula posted:

Dost thou come from a land down under?

Where the ales do flow and hobbits chunder

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

euphronius posted:

‘I will,’ said Aragorn heavily. ‘You followed my lead almost to disaster in the snow, and have said no word of blame. I will follow your lead now – if this last warning does not move you. It is not of the Ring, nor of us others that I am thinking now, but of you, Gandalf. And I say to you: if you pass the doors of Moria, beware!’

How might Aragorn had this power of premonition ?

Because Aragorn is magical and of pure Numenorean blood.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Prophesy matters in middle earth, it's a real big deal when someone makes one. Even just in an off the cuff remark. Aragorn specifically knows that Gandalf will find his end in moria, even if he doesn't know why. I always just chalk up these passages to divine intervention.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why do the always draw Sam as a chonker, I don't think the book ever describes his huskyness.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Gollum sure did, although maybe that's just movie dialog?

I think Gollum just calls him cross, mean, nasty, and no point does he bodyshame him.

The only explicitly rotund characters I can think of are Fatty Bolger and Fatty Lumpkin.

Though I may be wrong.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Gaffer ally status confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

AlternateNu posted:

I still don't understand what they were trying with the Sauron <-> Gandalf fake-out. I mean...I guess they could change even more going forward, but even within the bounds of the show + movies, the timeline wouldn't have made sense. :v:

Just remember that it isn't for you, it's for people who've never touched a Tolkien book or even watched a film except maybe the theatrical cuts when they were released. Any weird dumb choice made in that show is to try and pander to a genera audience.