Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

The Lorax is a maiar, right?

I'd think the Lorax is more of a Tom Bombadil entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Okay so I'm obviously a Tolkien fan but I have to say that the breadth of knowledge of other posters here on the Legendarium definitely well surpasses my own. I've read LotR, The Hobbit and the Silmarillion multiple times each, and have perused the Lost Tales on occasion, and most of what y'all are discussing is total Greek to me.

So a question I have, if I can articulate it well:

How much of what's being discussed here (like, for example, the population density and settlement patterns of Eriador) is actually canonical versus something that some writer on the e.g. MMO dev team or whatever came up with? People cite the Wiki, but then others will say "oh that's from the MMO." So is the MMO authoritative, or not? What is and isn't?

And I understand that "canonical" as a concept can kinda be problematic in it's own right. Like if something is explicitly stated in The Hobbit, LotR, or the Silmarillion, then no poo poo. But if it's something near-incomprehensible that Tolkien scribbled out during a PTSD episode on a napkin that Christopher later "edited" into a book, does that carry the same weight?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

In my opinion LoTR is way way up top in terms of “canonicity” or “what happened”.

Under that is the last edition of the hobbit which was retconned by Tolkien to be consistent with LoTR but is still silly and more of a story told by Bilbo with many not quite “true” parts

Then the Silmarillion which .. . Idk . That’s a very complicated document

And I'm guessing Lost Tales and other stuff Chris has published falls under even the Silmarillion, then? Or is the Silmarillion on the same tier as them?

And I am aware of the Hobbit revisions, I've never read the original edition, as far as I'm aware.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Also it's "Unfinished Tales," not "Lost Tales." Whoops.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kinda getting the impression from some of y'alls replies that treating what's "canon" (or "true" if you prefer that term, though it seems odd when discussing a totally fictional setting) in the Legendarium honestly isn't that different from the actual Canonical Gospels. So yeah, we're pretty sure there was a Jew named Jesus living in 1st century Judea, he traveled to Jerusalem during the passover, roused some rabble, then got crucified. All the other details? Ehhhh who can say? I guess it kinda makes sense in a way given Tolkien's own Catholicism, even if it wasn't intended.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

webmeister posted:

There's actually a whole bunch of those promo images now, fun to speculate on who is who:

I'm guessing bottom right is Ar-Pharazon, top left (with flowers) is probably Galadriel. Red robe + scroll could be Elrond, and apparently some nerd noticed the top row centre (with the rope) has the same hand scar as Isildur's actor. Bottom left (with the gold dust hands) could be Annatar?

Not going to get too excited just yet, as I'm assuming it will suck, but hey who knows!

I'm guessing the bottom two--gold-dusted hands and posing with a giant pick/hammer?--are dwarves. I think those are beards they have, too.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Saw these on a Facebook fan/meme page, no idea of the veracity since the tweet authors were cropped:

If true, I was right about the gold-dusted hands one being a dwarf!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

lets hope that give her a beard

It certainly looks like she does in that promo poster.

On closer inspection it may just be a really frilly outfit. But maybe a beard!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Phy posted:

Adar? The dudes name is "Father"?

"And Starring: Joseph Mawle, as, 'Pops' "

According to the LOTR wiki, possibly Sauron? Don't know why they didn't/wouldn't just stick with Annatar:

quote:

Joseph Mawle, rumored as "Adar", codenamed "Oren", the main antagonist[170]; believed to be a corrupted Elf under Sauron's sway, or an alias for Sauron himself.[168] Said to be "A villain who can also evoke a deep sense of pathos and wounded / fallen nobility. Must possess a certain degree of physicality. Should seem middle-aged, though must also project a sense of timelessness."[70]

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hexel posted:

no beard on dwarven queen

shows ruined

boooo

Data Graham posted:

That's a heck of an article

All the photos are captioned with who they are. That's Galadriel in armor, the young guy on the hillside is Elrond.

Yeah, the article is terrific. The closing of the intro paragraph is :discourse:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hexel posted:

They gonna give Galadriel a human lover

Yeah. As the rest of the article states they're definitely taking liberties with the "canon" or whatever, so if that's gonna be a bother to anyone they better either buckle in or just sit all this out.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I find it really funny that this is going to be terrible, everybody has known it's going to be terrible for the last two years, and Amazon is going to spend a half a billion dollars on it anyway. And they've already ordered a second season. It's entire purpose for existing vanished after the last episode of Game of Thrones.

Why is it agiven that it's going to be terrible?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Supposedly the Rings of Power Trailer will air during the Super Bowl circa 5:30 Pacific time, for those who may be interested.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Well I think it's already been pretty well established, especially by that VF article, they're coming up with quite a bit of new, original material.

That's not to say it won't be "soap opera-level writing" (perish the thought) but there's also, what, 22 named characters they've announced? I would imagine there's plenty of material, both to adapt and to conjure up wholesale, to make the show potentially quite good writing-wise. The development-by-committee sense I got from the same article is not too promising, but whatever. Put me in the camp of "probably will be bad, I'm hoping not, no reason to condemn it at this point, and if it is bad, so what."

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The irony of dweebs whining about the wokeism in TRoP being "untrue" to what Tolkien wrote is Tolkien himself bastardized howevermany genuine European mythologies in his writings. That's what the Legendarium is, right? Largely a pastiche of various real-world mythologies to create a new, synthetic "mythology" for Europe, or England/Britain at the least?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but it's all so dumb even if you ignore the actual racism that's fueling the dyspepsia.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe the Galadriel prologue narrations will cover the entire First Age in five minutes flat.

I don't know about five minutes but I'd be willing to bet they do use Galadriel as a sort-of narrator throughout the series as Jackson did with the films. That's one deviation from the books that I think worked really well, especially for helping non-dweebs unfamiliar with the material stitch events together.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

From that article:

quote:

In the footage that premiered in the Rings of Power Super Bowl teaser, audiences caught a glimpse of a tall, mysterious man who falls from the sky. Our immediate instinct is to wonder if he’s one of the wizards even the most casual fans might have heard of. In Tolkien’s text, they didn’t come to Middle-earth until the Third Age, but is the show taking some added liberties with the timeline? When asked if this might be Gandalf, Radagast, or Saruman, McKay answered cautiously, “Well, I would say those are not the only beings, those names, in that class. So maybe, but maybe not. And the mystery and the journey of it is all of the fun, I would say.”

Blue wizards maybe confirmed

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I've always pronounced it with the stress on the first syllable, not the second or third.

If it follows the pattern for Galadriel then I'd imagine the stress is on the third syllable.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lol two of my bookmarked threads with different topics becoming indistinguishable

To try to actually synthesize the topics, and I'm sure this is not in any way original analysis, but to me the Arnor/Gondor split, the fall of Arnor in the west, and Gondor near-constantly fighting off the wicked men of the south and east gave off extremely strong "history of the Roman Empire" vibes. Going even further with the splintering of Arnor into the three kingdoms, Minas Tirith as Constantinople, etc. etc. It's always seemed a little too on-the-nose to not have been deliberate.

gently caress, I mean, Mordor is shaped like Anatolia, and the Morannon right where the Turkish straits would be.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Barad-dûr is Ohio Stadium.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I think BoJo is this guy

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

I’d argue that when explaining expectations of the original trilogy, it’d make more sense to bring up what Jackson had done *before* 2001, but what do I know, time is a circle and all that.

I remember my cousin showing me this really awful and weird cheese B-horror film called Bad Taste in the summer of 2000. She and her friends were really into that kind of poo poo. I fell asleep on the floor.

It was some years later I realized Peter Jackson made Bad Taste, and in hindsight the LotR movies made just a tad bit more sense. Especially how disgusting and despicable the orcs, Nazgul, etc. were. Hiring a horror film director to make LotR was a stroke of genius, even if it was very likely inadvertent.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Dude was shellshocked as gently caress. Was at the loving Somme. I think we're all a bit richer for him creating this immersive imaginary world because ours was just too loving lovely to live in a lot of the time.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Something I've never quite understood: could someone illuminate me as to what exactly is meant by Rivendell being "the last homely house east of the sea"? How does that not apply to Lorien as well?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Makes perfect sense, I always thought it had to do with the sundering of the elves (which itself confuses me despite the chart in the Silmarillion). Thanks!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Imagined posted:

Literature: books I put at eye levels on the bookshelf in my living room.
Not literature: books I put on the bottom shelves on the bookshelves in my bedroom.

My fanciest editions of The Hobbit and LotR are on display in my curio cabinet, so by this standard they're some kind of uber-literature for me.

The one on the right is :hmmyes:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Imagined posted:

I agree with everyone who said that even if the books described everyone as looking as white as Rupert Grint, producers now should ignore that and hire a diverse cast.

However.

You could get absolutely blasted playing a drinking game where you take a shot every time JRRT describes someone in glowing terms as "fair" (i.e. pale and/or blonde in the sense he's using it) or someone in a negative context as "swarthy", dark, black, etc. He may not describe the skin tones or appearance of every character in the books, but absolutely every single good guy he does he uses synonyms for 'fair-skinned' to describe, and every single villainous character he does bother to comment on skin-tone wise just happens to be dark skinned. Even the ones who are described as maybe-just-normal-people-who-were-tricked-into-fighting-for-Sauron such as the Easterlings and the Haradrim just happen to be described as dark-skinned.

Buttressing this is the whole deal with "Middle Earth" as is ever seen in the books and drawn as a map really just being Europe, with the whole rest of the world (Africa, Asia etc.) left uncovered in the text. White people are in Europe, not-White people are everywhere else. Where are the Haradrim and Easterlings from? Oh, yeah.

Nthing not giving a poo poo about racial purity or whatever for the TV show or any other media made for the rest of time.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 27, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Wife and I refer to our two young children (pre-school age) as "orcs" when they're being particularly ornery and destructive. Which is fairly often.

Son leans into it, when he does Lord of the Rings imaginative play he usually likes to pretend to be an orc storming "Helm's Deep" (his playground).

Daughter has some pipes on her, when she's in a hysterical tizzy she's a Nazgul, not an orc.

No, my wife and I don't think of our kids as pets, but this came to mind reading the question.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

"Better than the Hobbit movies" seems like a fair and reasonable (if somewhat low) bar for The Rings of Power. If it's worse than them that'll loving suck, and if it's better, then hey, not the worst Tolkien adaptation of the 21st century!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean all the elves are kind of cousins

Along with certain Very Important men

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

skasion posted:

Bad News Gandalf

Now that's a username idea

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Looks good! Not thrilled about that Crouching Tiger/Matrix move at 2:02 but everything else seems solid.

And Galadriel's references to what she's "seen": Dagor Bragollach or War of Wrath?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

webmeister posted:

Oh and I know this goes without saying since Twitter is a cesspit at the best of times, but 100% avoid reading any of the replies or comments. OMG SO WOKE, WHY CHINESE IN NUMENOR, etc

It's been very funny watching the various FB Tolkien fan groups have to hold constitutional conventions for rules and/or just schism completely over the show

Yes, I have a Facebook in 2022. I deleted about 4 years ago but job made me reactivate for "networking" reasons. :rolleyes:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Something I've wondered, what is Viggo shouting when he jumps off of the Seat of Seeing and crashes into the Uruk Hai? Was he proclaiming "Ëarendil!" or something as a war cry?

Is it not "Elendil?" That's what I've always heard.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Saruman crafted his own ring of power too. He declares himself as “ring maker” to Gandalf. Which is certainly interesting and never really explained further.

The wizard version of "this is totally a gun I'm pointing at you under my coat, no you can't see it"

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Why did they pick two complete nobodies to make this thing? It blows by mind that they're willing to throw a billion dollars at people with no track record.

Jackson was a virtual nobody when New Line gave him dumptrucks of money to make his trilogy. Seemed to work out okay.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Now to be fair Jackson was notable for his splatter films and I love whenever his low budget horror filmmaking shows up in Lord of the Rings. Those handheld camera zooms are so full of character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNMSdxzGQzc

0:59 because I'm too dumb to timestamp.

I'm aware of Jackson's resume as a B-horror film director, but I can guarantee you that over 99% of people who went to see FotR in 2000-'01 had never heard of the man before "Directed by Peter Jackson" rolls after the fade.

But yes I agree, Jackson's work as a gore dude certainly shines with basically anything involving orcs.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not really. He'd already made Kate Winslet a star.

Heavenly Creatures grossed $5.4 million

Or is that :thejoke:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'd argue that niche indie films, good as they may be, don't really create "stars" if many people don't see them--hence the $5.4 million gross (not budget) figure I quoted

I still bet the vast, vast majority of people seeing Fellowship when it came out had never heard of Jackson.

Hell, I'd seen Bad Taste in the '90s and even I didn't know who Peter Jackson was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i think the point is not what audiences think its what the producers did. hollywood people knew who peter jackson was, that's why they went for him. these guys got suggested by JJ Abrams and do not have an equivalent to heavenly creatures to point to as a "oh Hollywood is taking a chance with a noted indie filmaker" the wrote a bunch of unmade screenplays and loving Jungle Cruise

Fair enough, I obviously hadn't thought about whether Jackson was known to producers or not.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im one of the people here somewhat defending the show and at least being willing to give it a chance, but there are certainly reasons to be pessimistic.

I'm in the exact same boat. Cautiously optimistic, but absolutely ready to be disappointed.