Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Not that we needed evidence that Carlin had lost the plot, but this is... Uh...

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1712180772151710190

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's someone who supposedly made a career out of reading history out loud, and yet didn't hear a god drat thing

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Demographic replacement, cool, one step away from claiming Israel needs more Lebensraum

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Same kind of loosely veiled bigotry argument you heard in the 60s-90s about Northern Ireland re: Protestants and granting rights to Catholics.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Even though it's expected it will never cease to amaze me that the people with the worst opinions on this situation and others where the "right" opinion is very clear if you have any understanding of history and society are those that have read and spoken about history the most.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Carlin, he just posted part two of Twilight of the Aesir and its just over 6 hours long.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Speaking of Carlin, he just posted part two of Twilight of the Aesir and its just over 6 hours long.

Nice. I enjoyed the first episode, and Thor's Angels is one of my all-time favourites.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Digital Jedi posted:

Ah, time to deep clean the apartment

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol, Dan learned not to get too close to the third rail that is current day politics right now, huh

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Didn't he used to do a current-day politics show?

I can't be bothered to listen to that one, I'm not a big Carlin fan. He's a good storyteller, but really poor as a historian.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah, he stopped his Common Sense show a few years back I think. I only listened a couple of times, his shtick was basically “I’m non partisan” “truth is in the middle” “both sides are bad” kind of stuff, which doesn’t really work when one side is openly espousing white supremacist rhetoric.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

webmeister posted:

Yeah, he stopped his Common Sense show a few years back I think. I only listened a couple of times, his shtick was basically “I’m non partisan” “truth is in the middle” “both sides are bad” kind of stuff, which doesn’t really work when one side is openly espousing white supremacist rhetoric.

iirc for the 2nd Trump election he voted democrat for the first time in his life. Trump winning broke his political view and he stepped away from the show after that, though there's been the odd episode since.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Does he still hold with 'genocide can be good, actually?'

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Samovar posted:

Does he still hold with 'genocide can be good, actually?'

Not in the new episode but there's a really good tangent on rogue waves

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The Rest Is History just wrapped an eight-part series on the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs and I thought it was pretty good imo. A good companion piece to the Fall of Civilizations episode.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Did Carlin get an editor? This episode is unusually well-structured. The tangents are relevant and interesting. He's citing stuff from previous episodes. He's taking more care than usual to note the books/translations he's referencing. He's actually sticking to a theme.

I'm not finished yet so maybe it will devolve into Batman boxing Clint Eastwood but so far this seems like his strongest offering in years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've been a bit checked out of this thread. If I were to redo the OP, what are the current cream of the crop?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yowza, almost 11 years ago :stare:

I can only speak for history-focused stuff, but I'm currently subscribed to:
- Behind the Bastards
- Tides of History
- Blowback
- Empire
- Slow Burn
- Fall of Civilisations
- The Dollop

Mike Duncan finished up with Revolutions about a year ago, and although he'd announced his next project was a non-fiction book review podcast, I don't think anything has been launched yet.

Dan Carlin is still going with Hardcore History, though at the same "one a year, maybe" frequency he's been at for a while now. I'm kinda over his style but others still seem to like it.

In Our Time keeps on trucking, though I haven't listened to that for a long time. I assume it's probably still great if you want to hear professors argue while a British aristocrat snipes at them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Medieval Death Trip could be added to the list

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

webmeister posted:

In Our Time keeps on trucking, though I haven't listened to that for a long time. I assume it's probably still great if you want to hear professors argue while a British aristocrat snipes at them.

It's still going on. And if you'd want something more light, but still British, there is You're Dead to Me.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
In Our Time is still good but Melvyn Bragg does sound every one of his 84 years. Perfectly sharp and still getting amusingly mock-annoyed when a guest veers off-script, just audibly an elderly guy wheezing a bit.

Separately I’ve been enjoying some of the New Books Network podcasts: new books in history, in archaeology, etc. They’re all interviews with authors of just-published academic works so they often at least aware of the cutting edge and go into a lot of detail. It’s a real firehouse of content though, they seem to have hosts or representatives from all over, meaning that if you don’t narrow the focus, your feed pulls in a few eps each day.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Age of Napoleon, Our Fake History, Lions Led By Donkeys are some that I listen to

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Byzantium and Friends is super crunchy interviews with academics. Pax Brittanica is a long form history of post Elizabethan England and the host in the most recent episode announced his PhD completion.

99 percent invisible is good too. On that- I've noticed a lot of episodes in their back catalogue that just happen to go into Us military puff stuff. Is there any gossip about them getting military sponsorship?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

Did Carlin get an editor? This episode is unusually well-structured. The tangents are relevant and interesting. He's citing stuff from previous episodes. He's taking more care than usual to note the books/translations he's referencing. He's actually sticking to a theme.

I'm not finished yet so maybe it will devolve into Batman boxing Clint Eastwood but so far this seems like his strongest offering in years.

Oh wow. I've completely stopped listening to him so I'm glad you pointed this out. I'll give it a listen today, thanks.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh wow. I've completely stopped listening to him so I'm glad you pointed this out. I'll give it a listen today, thanks.

He did mention boxing before the end of the podcast but it didn't seem unreasonable.

I'd stopped listening during Supernova pt2. This one, and it's prequel, are quite worth listening to imo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ones I'm subscribed to at the moment:

History of Japan
The History of China
Weird Medieval Guys
Ancient Warfare Podcast
Byzantium & Friends
Tides of History
The History of Byzantium
Fall of Civilizations

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
History of the Crusades / Reconquista
History of the Second World War (it might get to the War eventually but I'm still working the backlog of lead-up, which has been fairly good if not hugely indepth)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Seconding history of Byzantium and Friends of, they are top tier podcasts.

The Partial Historians should probably be listed too, even if they've barely made it to the actual history parts of Roman history lol (also they might be there now I'm still catching up)

Also the Eurasian Knot, nee the SRB Podcast.

I've really enjoyed the Foreign Affairs Interview as well, nice insight into the imperial mindset of the old global hegemon.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 31, 2023

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Seconding Partial Historians.

Peopling the Past is also great, about non-elites in ancient history, and History of Egypt is probably my favorite mono-subject podcast. All three are run by academics which is nice too.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I went on a philosophy podcast search a few years ago, and here are the podcasts that actually stuck with me:

Philosophize This! - Coming in as someone with a pretty poor conception of 20th century philosophy, this was good for getting a quick survey of philosophy that doesn't assume prior knowledge. The host can be a little obnoxious, but it was a good foundation.

History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps - If you want to go hard on background, this is the podcast to go for. I got about 100 episodes in, and do not think I even hit 0AD. Looking at their website, I think they're in the 1600s right now with episode numbers in the 400s. The host is a little dry, but not bad.

Plastic Pills - This is the philosophy podcast I ended up on, which I really strongly like. The hosts are a mix of "ideas don't matter, material conditions matter" hard-left, phenomenology, and social liberal political theory types, and they cover a range of 20th and 21st century philosophy topics. They try to stay accessible to people without a philosophical background, with varying degrees of success, but are consistently a fun listen.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
History of Philosophy guy also has a spinoff podcast of Indian, and then Africana, philosophy which is at episode 150-ish now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

There is the History of the 20th century, which is a pretty good all-rounder.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
You could mention Inward Empire on the off chance he starts making episodes again.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It’s been 3 and a half years since Inward Empire released anything, I’d probably consider that dead but still worth listening to

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh CBC Ideas is quite good when it's good. It's more of a "subscribe and download if the topic looks good" than any "autodl and autoqueue" though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry if I overlooked it being mentioned but "The Medievalist Podcast" is short, digestible episodes examining a variety of topics, done by a professional historian.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Oh CBC Ideas is quite good when it's good. It's more of a "subscribe and download if the topic looks good" than any "autodl and autoqueue" though.

Seconding this, though I prefer their older stuff. Which is ok, as their archives go back for decades. And if you want the Massey Lectures they go back to the 60s. The lectures are on a similarly wide variety of topics with a sort of philosophical bend.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Samovar posted:

I'm really enjoying this! How have I missed this! Thanks for the recommendation.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Samovar posted:

is it on spotify? i only come up with the gang of four album when i search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

is it on spotify? i only come up with the gang of four album when i search

You have to search for "twentieth" literally. Some future we're living in.