Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Badass. I've tried for years to appreciate Roman history, and for some reason History of Rome finally made it click well for me.

E: Vv Oooo, I'll check it out, thanks! vV

Urk! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

urk the quack posted:

Badass. I've tried for years to appreciate Roman history, and for some reason History of Rome finally made it click well for me.

Have you tried Dan Carlin's Hardcore History subseries, Death Throes of the Republic? ~10 hours in all, fascinating stuff. He approaches the entire thing from the angle of what motivated the movers and shakers to do what they did.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Malloreon posted:

Have you tried Dan Carlin's Hardcore History subseries, Death Throes of the Republic? ~10 hours in all, fascinating stuff. He approaches the entire thing from the angle of what motivated the movers and shakers to do what they did.

I've relistened to this recently and I think it's easily the best series he's done.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

This isn't a podcast, but the audiobook of Rubicon by Tom Holland is also super great if you're into the period.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Is there a US history podcast in the style of History of Rome Podcast or Podcast History of Our World?

Baby the Birdman
Jul 14, 2005

Every real nigga fuck they main girl in the ass.

Drunkboxer posted:

Is there a US history podcast in the style of History of Rome Podcast or Podcast History of Our World?

A new 4 hrs Hardcore history, "The American Peril" was just posted, haven't listened to it but it talks about 19th century United States.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Arnie_SS posted:

A new 4 hrs Hardcore history, "The American Peril" was just posted, haven't listened to it but it talks about 19th century United States.

:gonk: I still haven't had a chance to listen through the previous one!

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Antti posted:

:gonk: I still haven't had a chance to listen through the previous one!

Prophets of Doom was freaking awesome.

This is pretty much how I must have looked from 1/3 of the way in until the end.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Arnie_SS posted:

Just started this but I've been waiting forever for HH to touch on Roosevelt (I'm assuming this is about the Maine and he's going to figure in it). Pretty excited.

Excited about history podcasts over here.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

dayman posted:

Prophets of Doom was freaking awesome.

Yeah. It was probably my favourite HH thus far. I really can't see why Dan himself hated it so much. Someone should really make a film of that story, I'd watch it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Prophets of Doom was absolutely amazing. I remember watching this when I was young: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106051. I have no idea if there is a subtitles version around, probably not.

I started listening to the new episode and it has been great so far (~1 hour in).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This was my favorite episode, although it's sort of my favorite period in history.

Talk about late 19th and early 20th century America forever Dan, pleeeeeease.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I can't wait to listen to the new episode. Over on his forum he said that his next few HH shows are going to be another mini-series, and will either cover WW1 or Alexander the Great. Either will be cool, but I'd love to hear him do a full series on the cause and fighting of WW1!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I finally finished the episode and god drat it was amazing. I'm from Germany and all we cover is the War of Independence, the Civil War, WW1+2 (but those from our perspective) and the Cold War.

I'm really glad Carlin covers some of the stuff that was ignored.

I think I'll buy the 30$ Hardcore History classics bundle for my father for his birthday. He will love it and I really want to listen to the paywall episodes :v:.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I have to recommend Slate's Lexicon Valley podcast, an interesting English language podcast. They usually pick some quirk of the English language, and talk about all of the rules that we unconsciously follow. The hosts are likable and go down some interesting rabbit holes. I always picture them wearing professorial sweaters, sitting in a fussy den, recording the podcast together. Good episodes are "The Fawth Flaw," about the situations in which different people do or don't drop the "r" sounds from the ends of words, "Ascent of the A-word," all about the word "rear end in a top hat," and "Accentuate the Positive," about the phrase "yeah, no."

And if that's not hardcore enough for you, The History of the English Language is a very good, but very dry history podcast. It's just one host talking. I enjoy it greatly in small doses, but tend to tire out quickly. Technically, he hasn't even reached Old English yet, but he sprinkles a lot of interesting tidbits about modern English into his explanations of English's ancestor languages.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't believe I haven't recommended Omega Tau in here yet. Half of the episodes are in German, but half are in English. It's a hard science podcast that actually gets real experts on and explores topics in a way that are both accessible to the layperson and deep. From Artificial Intelligence and wind tunnel testing to Earth mapping, Quantum Computing, and Commercial Spaceflight, Omega Tau has everything a wanna-be science nerd needs.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. It was probably my favourite HH thus far. I really can't see why Dan himself hated it so much. Someone should really make a film of that story, I'd watch it.

He didn't hate it, he was just not happy with the fact that he had to use so few sources because of the language barrier, while knowing there are hundreds of books in German which might show a different, more researched and complete picture (and there are indeed hundreds of books, maybe thousands, on the topic in German. I have read only a few and couldn't find fault with Dan's portrayal of the Reformation/Counter-Reformation, although with access to the German sources he could and probably would have made it into a 5 part series - fascinating stuff after all*). Not being happy with having to work with incomplete source material is pretty understandable for a guy who puts tons of work and research in every topic.

*Just to think that the area where I live - deeply, deeply Catholic - was Protestant/Peasant revolt heartland 400 years ago, until Hapsburg severely and extremely savagely counter-Reformed the whole area until nobody Non-Catholic was not only no longer alive, there aren't even any traces left of Protestantism. Even nowadays we have more Muslims living here than Protestants, no Protestant churches, no infrastructure, nothing.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 2, 2013

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I've been listening to The Ancient World and that's been pretty cool if perhaps a little dry. The guy has a serious problem with monotone voice although he seems to be trying to change things up more in his newer episodes.
One of the areas he touched on at the start before shifting his focus away was the start of civilization in Mesoamerica. I was wondering if anyone knew of a podcast that focused more on the subject of early American civilizations? That's an interesting topic I don't really hear much about. Or about non-mediterian Africa either now that I think about it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AriadneThread posted:

I've been listening to The Ancient World and that's been pretty cool if perhaps a little dry. The guy has a serious problem with monotone voice although he seems to be trying to change things up more in his newer episodes.
One of the areas he touched on at the start before shifting his focus away was the start of civilization in Mesoamerica. I was wondering if anyone knew of a podcast that focused more on the subject of early American civilizations? That's an interesting topic I don't really hear much about. Or about non-mediterian Africa either now that I think about it.

I'll second this, The Ancient World is nice but really dry and the dude needs a better mic. But I have many fond memories of playing Age of Empires 1 as a kid (which takes place in the timeframe he's examining) so it's all good.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I listen to/have listened to a lot of history-and-related podcasts, many of which aren't mentioned in this thread, so here are some :words: I have about them. (This post is a work-in-progress; I'm going to come back to finish it soon, but wanted to get the stuff I had posted before I had to go out today, since I can't save a draft.)

I used to listen to Hardcore History (like, in 2008) but it really lost my interest at some point and I never went back to it. I think a lot of it was that he made reference to relatively few sources (especially primary sources) in his podcasts, and also that, at that point, he tended to give a lot of stuff a pretty shallow treatment. I might go back to it sometime soon, but I have a ton of other podcasts that I listen to, so maybe not. I feel similarly to most of you about Stuff You Missed in History Class, which I now pretty much only listen to if the topic of the episode sounds interesting. I also listen to In Our Time, RadioLab, This American Life, More or Less, and a few other podcasts already discussed in this thread with varying degrees of regularity.

Podcasts I listen to or have listened to (but now they are done):
Classical 91.7's Classical Classroom - Episodes usually run 20-30 minutes and come out every week-ish. Musicians, academics, and other people knowledgable about classical music discuss either specific works (Bach's B-Minor Mass, for example) or more overarching topics (Bel Canto Aria).

Footnoting History - Episodes usually run around 15 minutes and come out weekly. Probably my absolute favorite history podcast at the moment. Graduate students and early career historians discuss small topics they've discovered in their research that they find interesting -- topics include lepers and leprosy in the 13th century, the defenestration of Prague, running in the ancient Olympic games, a brief history of dieting, and the Native American (re-)occupation of Alcatraz, to name a few. They do a great job of giving succinct yet very informative introductions to the topics and always have excellent and extensive introductions to further reading. As a historian myself, I think that stuff like this is exactly what the discipline needs to stay relevant, particularly to non-historians.

Geschichte(n) hören - Episodes run between 1 and 2 hours and come out pretty irregularly. Unfortunately only in German, this is a podcast of lectures, presentations, and panels related to processing the history of the DDR. (Officially and auf deutsch - Podcastangebot der Bundesstiftung zur Aufarbeitung der SED-Diktatur)

History Extra Podcast - Weekly episodes of 45-60 minutes. The official podcast of BBC history magazine; every episode, a historian or two talks about their work. Favorite recent episodes include an interview with the head researcher for the TV series Horrible Histories and an interview with several historians who recently won awards for their writings for popular audiences (although I disagree with some of what they say).

History Hour - Weekly episodes of 50 minutes. BBC World Service presenter Max Pearson gives us "history told by the people who were there." The most recent episode includes the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa, a shark attack during WWII, and an Indian soap opera.

Medieval Archives - Most episodes around half an hour, after a break has recently returned to a biweekly-ish update schedule. Each episode deals with a specific topic, ranging from specific individuals or locations to things like Medieval Zombies. Another good example of a historian trying to make their work more accessible to a non-academic audience.

Rex Factor - Most episodes about an hour, some longer, some shorter. Updates tend to come around once a month. I mostly listen to this podcast because it's fun and I like listening to two people interested in history have fun with the field. In this podcast, two guys go through the monarchs of what-is-now-England, beginning with Anglo-Saxon kings -- now they're up to George VI -- and discuss various aspects of their reigns, ultimately looking to conclude about whether they have "it" -- THE REX FACTOR. A somewhat silly and non-scholarly but ultimately enjoyable exploration of the English monarchy.

Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine

The Serial Killers Podcast

Thinking Allowed

When Did the Statue of Liberty Turn Green

Podcasts I have downloaded episodes of but haven't listened to yet (with their official show descriptions):
China: As History is my Witness - 10 episodes, aired in October 2010 - From emperors to poets to generals, the BBC's former Beijing correspondent Carrie Grace explores the lives of key figures from China's rich past to examine how Chinese society has evolved over the past 3,000 years. At best, they have been taken for granted and sometimes they have endured far worse at the hands of China's governments and invaders alike. What voice for the Chinese public now?

The History of Iran Podcast - Two 20-30 minute episodes so far - A history of Iran from the earliest time (ca. 3000 BCE) to the 20th century.

Shakespeare's Restless World

Sport and the British

Things We Forgot to Remember

Witness Archive 2010

1913: The Year Before

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a podcast similar to The Bowery Boys, but for Los Angeles? I'm always intrigued whenever I hear stories about Los Angeles's history and culture, but listening to the Bowery Boys just makes me want to learn more about my hometown (sorta). Listening to The Bowery Boys also makes me want to live in New York, but that is another thing entirely.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You know I like Jeff Rubin alright but if I have to hear him say Lost is one of the best shows of all time I'm going to crawl into my earbuds and punch him. Also Orange is the New Black is not "at the same tier" as Boardwalk Empire :argh: Also I hate this guy he's interviewing :argh::argh:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Drunkboxer posted:

You know I like Jeff Rubin alright but if I have to hear him say Lost is one of the best shows of all time I'm going to crawl into my earbuds and punch him. Also Orange is the New Black is not "at the same tier" as Boardwalk Empire :argh: Also I hate this guy he's interviewing :argh::argh:

I got mad at the Boardwalk Empire comment too. That show is insanely good, people just ignore it for some reason.

I just got into The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin show two weeks ago but I love it. He has amazing guests. I just listened to the episode with the Facebook designer and it was just super interesting.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Popelmon posted:

I got mad at the Boardwalk Empire comment too. That show is insanely good, people just ignore it for some reason.

I just got into The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin show two weeks ago but I love it. He has amazing guests. I just listened to the episode with the Facebook designer and it was just super interesting.

Jeff Rubin seems to have the same problem as Chris Hardwick in that he gets super interesting guests, but he's really not that great of an interviewer. For some reason I also get really annoyed when he brings the conversation to some tangential nerd subject, like videogames or something when the subject is not at all about videogames, but I could just be letting one or two incidents getting to me when it may not be an actual problem.

Edit: Still looking for city-based podcasts! That aren't Notebook on Cities and Culture because the episodes I listened to were not about the city at all, but were mostly about these kinda boring people living in the cities.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 28, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Saying Orange is the New Black is on the same level as Boardwalk Empire isn't some kind of denigration of Boardwalk Empire. That's a weird reaction to that statement. Unless he hates Boardwalk Empire.

Also, his podcast doesn't seem educational.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

rypakal posted:

Saying Orange is the New Black is on the same level as Boardwalk Empire isn't some kind of denigration of Boardwalk Empire. That's a weird reaction to that statement. Unless he hates Boardwalk Empire.

Also, his podcast doesn't seem educational.

It's sort of just on whatever I guess, I only brought it up because this is the thread where I found out about it.

And it was part of a conversation where he was stating that there are certain shows that are the GREATEST and then there's the second tier, where he puts Boardwalk. I mean, clearly its a opinion thing but he doesn't exactly frame it that way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Jeff Rubin seems to have the same problem as Chris Hardwick in that he gets super interesting guests, but he's really not that great of an interviewer. For some reason I also get really annoyed when he brings the conversation to some tangential nerd subject, like videogames or something when the subject is not at all about videogames, but I could just be letting one or two incidents getting to me when it may not be an actual problem.

Edit: Still looking for city-based podcasts! That aren't Notebook on Cities and Culture because the episodes I listened to were not about the city at all, but were mostly about these kinda boring people living in the cities.

I actually think Rubin is a great interviewer, but only when he doesn't have a lot of knowledge on the subject he's talking about. It seems like every time I wish I could ask the interviewee a question, Rubin asks it. When it's something related to a subject he knows about though, yes, way too tangential. But yeah gently caress Hardwick.

For anyone who writes, I'd recommend the Nerdist Writers Panel. Their Key & Peele writers episode was really fantastic, recently he had Carl Gottlieb on to talk all about Jaws, and many others. Even though it's comedy related, the series definitely focuses on writers and writers rooms and gets in depth in a refreshingly open way.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Does Carlin’s podcast get better? I started listening to the first of his Roman Republic episode and between the 1 minute opening and the 5 minutes talk about ambition I got bored. I’ll give him a chance, but I certainly hope the rest of the episode is about actual history (yeah, I guess Roman families were ambitious, but he sounded so over the top that it got annoying)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

radlum posted:

Does Carlin’s podcast get better? I started listening to the first of his Roman Republic episode and between the 1 minute opening and the 5 minutes talk about ambition I got bored. I’ll give him a chance, but I certainly hope the rest of the episode is about actual history (yeah, I guess Roman families were ambitious, but he sounded so over the top that it got annoying)

I dunno, I don't think you gave it much of a chance. 5 minutes of a many hours long story isn't much. Try skipping ahead I guess? If you want like right to the point, bulletpoints, he probably isn't for you.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
If you want bulletpoints you should read the Wikipedia article. Carlin really tries to make the events relatable and that can take him on some weird (but effective) tangents. I loved then he used Bill Cosby's family as an exampple when he talked about Ghengis Khan.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Dan Carlin is the love child of James Burke and Stan Lee. Give him time - he works with a lot of analogies to try to paint a picture of what it may have felt like to live in a given time.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I don't mind analogies or tangents, it's just that it sounded too over the top for me and I wasn't looking forward to 90 more minutes of that. I'll give it another chance. I love the Roman Republic and Empire, so at least I chose an interesting topic to start.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

radlum posted:

I don't mind analogies or tangents, it's just that it sounded too over the top for me and I wasn't looking forward to 90 more minutes of that. I'll give it another chance. I love the Roman Republic and Empire, so at least I chose an interesting topic to start.

Well, just bear in mind, it's not going to be a few 90 minute intallments, it's something like 20+ hours for the Roman Republic episodes.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

feedmyleg posted:

Well, just bear in mind, it's not going to be a few 90 minute intallments, it's something like 20+ hours for the Roman Republic episodes.

And they only cover like 10 years or so. He really went for it with this one.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

radlum posted:

Honestly if you're just getting started with HH I'd recommend Thor's Angels or Prophets of Doom first. Both are fascinating and self contained. While Death Throes of the Republic is great I'd not force it on anyone just starting to get used to Dan Carlin's narrative style.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Popelmon posted:

And they only cover like 10 years or so. He really went for it with this one.

What? He started with the Gracchi brothers and went to Julius Caesar's death. That's a literal century of history.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

radlum posted:

At the risk of arousing ire from the thread, Carlin's schtick is melodrama. He presents all of his material in that manner, so if you weren't on board within those five minutes, I don't know that the podcast is for you. I lasted about 30 minutes into one of his podcasts before conceding for the same reason. I appreciate his style, but it's definitely not for me.

nerdpony posted:

Footnoting History - Episodes usually run around 15 minutes and come out weekly. Probably my absolute favorite history podcast at the moment. Graduate students and early career historians discuss small topics they've discovered in their research that they find interesting -- topics include lepers and leprosy in the 13th century, the defenestration of Prague, running in the ancient Olympic games, a brief history of dieting, and the Native American (re-)occupation of Alcatraz, to name a few. They do a great job of giving succinct yet very informative introductions to the topics and always have excellent and extensive introductions to further reading. As a historian myself, I think that stuff like this is exactly what the discipline needs to stay relevant, particularly to non-historians.

Thanks for this recommendation. I love seeing the field engage with new media.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Likewise. I too couldn't make it too far into Carlin's podcasts. I'm sure they have great information and are well thought out, but the lack of information density in any given 5, 10 or even 30 minute timeframe was unnerving.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Carlin is good at telling stories. If that's not what you want out of your history facts funtime then yeah, I can see how he might be a little much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Random Stranger posted:

What? He started with the Gracchi brothers and went to Julius Caesar's death. That's a literal century of history.

Oh god you are right. I got confused :shobon:.