Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Is it just the build up to the war or does it have actual battles in it too? Dan's always at his best when he's doing military history. Describing battles, arms, armor, formations and tactics and what not. It's by far the best part of all his shows and it's clear that it's his favorite part too. You know for sure he's a huge Warhammer nerd at heart. Hell, I'm pretty sure he's actually made some subtle Warhammer/tabletop gaming references in a show before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
I'm five minutes in and he's talking about alleged lone gunman and the "government's Oswald narrative"

Is he one of those?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is it just the build up to the war or does it have actual battles in it too?

It's getting into the invasion of Belgium and how Germany handled it so it includes some of the military aspects.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is it just the build up to the war or does it have actual battles in it too? Dan's always at his best when he's doing military history. Describing battles, arms, armor, formations and tactics and what not. It's by far the best part of all his shows and it's clear that it's his favorite part too. You know for sure he's a huge Warhammer nerd at heart. Hell, I'm pretty sure he's actually made some subtle Warhammer/tabletop gaming references in a show before.
Sounds like hes going to get into it in the coming episodes more. He went into the German Belgium battle for the last hour of this episode.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

rypakal posted:

I'm five minutes in and he's talking about alleged lone gunman and the "government's Oswald narrative"

Is he one of those?

No, he's making a point about it doesn't matter what actually happened.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

uPen posted:

No, he's making a point about it doesn't matter what actually happened.

Ok. It's just trigger phrasing for crazy. Like when he says "listen folks" on the other podcast. Dangerous Territory.

The episode was, per usual, excellent

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How often does Dan release his podcasts once he starts a series? I'm new to Hardcore History and I really want to know when the next part of this series will drop.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

How are u posted:

How often does Dan release his podcasts once he starts a series? I'm new to Hardcore History and I really want to know when the next part of this series will drop.

The 5 part Khan series took exactly 6 months (to the day), and the 6 part Roman Republic series took a whole year+1 day. Better settle in.

I'm in no rush, this dropped right as I was halfway though A World Undone, so I don't want to mix the narratives in my head.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

God damnit Carlin actually manages to push these out sooner than I can listen to them. :allears:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

rypakal posted:

Ok. It's just trigger phrasing for crazy. Like when he says "listen folks" on the other podcast. Dangerous Territory.

The episode was, per usual, excellent

Common Sense is really weird. I expect him to go on some weird libertarian rant all the time but I usually end up agreeing with him :tinfoil:.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Popelmon posted:

Common Sense is really weird. I expect him to go on some weird libertarian rant all the time but I usually end up agreeing with him :tinfoil:.

He stays a lot saner than your Joe Rogans, but once in a while he says something and I think "he's listened to a lot of Glenn Beck"

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Salvador Dalvik posted:

The 5 part Khan series took exactly 6 months (to the day), and the 6 part Roman Republic series took a whole year+1 day. Better settle in.

I'm in no rush, this dropped right as I was halfway though A World Undone, so I don't want to mix the narratives in my head.

He has admitted that the Rome series wound up being bad for business (lost subscribers, not as many donations) due to how long it took to put out so he has tried to streamline the multipart stuff so it doesn't get away from him like that did. Khans was much faster (as you pointed out) and he claims that he is ready to roll on this subject now that the first one is out. It's also a subject that he has already done gobs of research on over the years. I don't know how many parts this one is going to be but I would guess it will take us through spring at least.

I've said it before in this thread, but this time of history is by far the most fascinating to me. Much of the world was batshit crazy. You had the old way of doing things (monarchies, tyrants, etc) being mixed with (deadly) modern technology and the whole thing turned into a wildfire that lasted until the end of WW2.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Quick review - the WWI thing is a good episode. I'm troubled a little by his reliance on Niall Ferguson, known rear end in a top hat, but he seems to be aware of the biases of his sources and uses them appropriately. Excellent stuff.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Yeah this ep is great. The quotes regarding the German army marching through Belgium in particular were unreal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't know if it's the writing or delivery that does it but these history episodes have the best openings (which is a loose term, since they can be half an hour long sometimes) of I think any media I've experienced.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Yeah this ep is great. The quotes regarding the German army marching through Belgium in particular were unreal.

No matter how many times I read about armies, in fantasy fiction or historical writings, I can never get over how hard it must be to just get food to them. And if it takes 10 hours to cross a bridge, that must suck for the guys at the end. Do they even get to sleep?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Salvador Dalvik posted:

The History of Byzantium is at least bearable, the History of Britain podcast sounds like a history student's undergrad project.

Are there any other History of * podcasts that are worth listening to?

The China History Podcast is pretty awesome. It updates pretty sporadically, but there's about 120 episodes that range from 25-45 minutes right now. The host kind of picks topics at his whim and doesn't really do things chronologically unless he's doing a multi-part series or something. There's a really good 10 part series on Hong Kong and I'm a sucker for anything about the Three Kingdoms period.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

rypakal posted:

He stays a lot saner than your Joe Rogans, but once in a while he says something and I think "he's listened to a lot of Glenn Beck"

I find his points are usually pretty spot on, but I shudder to think what his forums must be like. I'm afraid to look.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Maduo posted:

I find his points are usually pretty spot on, but I shudder to think what his forums must be like. I'm afraid to look.

His History show forum can be interesting from time to time because people post new show ideas or discuss the current one (even if some crazies are there). Avoid his Common Sense show forum at all costs though. It's all self righteous lunatics. The only reason I visit his forums is because Dan does pop in to clarify his point of view on things as well as give tidbits on upcoming content.

I just finished the episode and I love it. I like that it covers both battlefield tactics and technology while still explaining the politics and over arching view of the thing. I can't wait for the next episode!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I kinda thought from the title that the whole series was going to be a deep analysis of the politics that lead up to the war, but I guess it's just going to be about the war in general. Either way, pretty good episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hope I'm not breaking the rules of my own thread, but just because we haven't gotten much new podcast blood in here recently, something that I've been enjoying quite a bit lately is the You're the Expert podcast. It is a comedy podcast, but it's the host and 3 comedians using games and bits each week to try and shed light on Harvard professors positions and areas of focus. You'll get anything from rare book experts to quantum theorists and everything in between. There's maybe slightly more comedy than intellectual discussion going on, but it's definitely got a fair share of both and after listening to a dozen or so episodes, I can say that I've definitely learned more than I thought I wanted to know about at-first boring-sounding jobs.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
I'll guess I'll use this opportunity to share a similar crossover podcast I enjoyed greatly. Caustic Soda is a comedy educational podcast centered around the gruesome, gory and macabre side of pretty much everything. Hosted by three Vancouver Canadians, they take a variety of topics (shark attacks, plague, even toys) and look at the etymology, history, news, and pop culture aspects of them.

The hosts are pretty funny. Torin is the leader of the podcast. He's got a good voice and is funny in a low key sort of dry way. Kevin is the "comedian" of the group having actually done some stand-up locally. Many of his jokes are pun based and groan worthy, but in an endearing sort of way. Joe is the least funny and self styled rationalist of the group. He's also the gooniest; taking every opportunity to mention his atheism, skepticism, and the fact that he has, in fact, had sex with a woman. Still he's not so bad as to be insufferable...most of the time.

I've learned a lot from the podcast and I think they definitely at least 50% focus on the educational aspect of the topic. Best episodes would be part one of Doomed Expeditions (pt 2 is pop culture), most of the medical ones because they have an actual doctor on the show to comment and he's pretty interesting, and the evil people in history episodes (especially Stalin).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dayman posted:

I'll guess I'll use this opportunity to share a similar crossover podcast I enjoyed greatly. Caustic Soda is a comedy educational podcast centered around the gruesome, gory and macabre side of pretty much everything. Hosted by three Vancouver Canadians, they take a variety of topics (shark attacks, plague, even toys) and look at the etymology, history, news, and pop culture aspects of them.

The hosts are pretty funny. Torin is the leader of the podcast. He's got a good voice and is funny in a low key sort of dry way. Kevin is the "comedian" of the group having actually done some stand-up locally. Many of his jokes are pun based and groan worthy, but in an endearing sort of way. Joe is the least funny and self styled rationalist of the group. He's also the gooniest; taking every opportunity to mention his atheism, skepticism, and the fact that he has, in fact, had sex with a woman. Still he's not so bad as to be insufferable...most of the time.

I've learned a lot from the podcast and I think they definitely at least 50% focus on the educational aspect of the topic. Best episodes would be part one of Doomed Expeditions (pt 2 is pop culture), most of the medical ones because they have an actual doctor on the show to comment and he's pretty interesting, and the evil people in history episodes (especially Stalin).

I believe one of them is a goon. At least I picked up the show from the Pimp Your Podcast thread...

They tend to be a little shallow and pop-sci-y but I don't think that's a horrible thing for their format. My biggest problem with the show is that the two part episodes tend to really drag. Their Vampires stuff for the past two weeks was not a good set of episodes. The show has a solid set of hosts with a good report (all three of them perform on stage in one way or another so it's not just "three random guys") and a format that works.

One warning about visiting the site. The pictures that accompany episodes are often :nms: and :nws:. There's nothing really brutal there on the page at the moment but watch out if they've done a medical topic. (Oh god, I just clicked back one back after checking their current entries and the first topic on the second page was body modification with all the :barf: you could want.)

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Random Stranger posted:

One warning about visiting the site. The pictures that accompany episodes are often :nms: and :nws:. There's nothing really brutal there on the page at the moment but watch out if they've done a medical topic. (Oh god, I just clicked back one back after checking their current entries and the first topic on the second page was body modification with all the :barf: you could want.)

Apologies, I listen to the eps on stitcher so I was unaware of this. Thanks for the heads up. 10:1 that the goon is Joe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dayman posted:

Apologies, I listen to the eps on stitcher so I was unaware of this. Thanks for the heads up. 10:1 that the goon is Joe.

All three hosts are fine. I can't think of a single episode where Joe of all people was the irritating one - Kevin can be aggressively, painfully ignorant but that's kind of his role.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This pizza guy on Jeff Rubin's show is insane. "Don't cut my pizza, and par-bake it please."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After listening to that episode I immediately went out and bought the book. Smaller than I thought it would be, but highly entertaining.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

After listening to that episode I immediately went out and bought the book. Smaller than I thought it would be, but highly entertaining.

I am thinking about getting it but I was also just thinking about going by Barnes and Nobel just to eyeball it. Is it not like coffee table book size?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I am thinking about getting it but I was also just thinking about going by Barnes and Nobel just to eyeball it. Is it not like coffee table book size?

Nope, probably 9x9. There's a decent amount of text in there, but not enough that you couldn't skim through it satisfactorily.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Alikchi posted:

Quick review - the WWI thing is a good episode. I'm troubled a little by his reliance on Niall Ferguson, known rear end in a top hat, but he seems to be aware of the biases of his sources and uses them appropriately. Excellent stuff.

Yeah I was weirded out by him leaning on Ferguson, but then bashing Keegan (not incorrectly!) a lot.

Margaret MacMillan just released a book covering the same era. I wonder if he'll go back and read it after the series is done. I also wonder if he'll cover the Treaty of Versailles (I imagine he might).

What I'm really hoping from the series is at least one or two episodes focusing on the "World" part and not getting bogged down on the Western Front, which is so very overexposed in histories about WW1.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 10, 2013

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'd kill for a Russian Civil War podcast.

e: maybe the Revolutions guy will get to it someday.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alikchi posted:

I'd kill for a Russian Civil War podcast.

e: maybe the Revolutions guy will get to it someday.

Maybe, I have no idea what the Revolutions guy's schedule is. I didn't realize he'd be doing multiple episodes per historic event and now he's done 8 on the English Civil War(s).

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I think the schedule for Revolutions is 12-15 episodes per event, with a month off inbetween. The next event should be the French Revolution, though I'd imagine that the Russian Revolution is high up there.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I hope I'm not breaking the rules of my own thread, but just because we haven't gotten much new podcast blood in here recently, something that I've been enjoying quite a bit lately is the You're the Expert podcast. It is a comedy podcast, but it's the host and 3 comedians using games and bits each week to try and shed light on Harvard professors positions and areas of focus. You'll get anything from rare book experts to quantum theorists and everything in between. There's maybe slightly more comedy than intellectual discussion going on, but it's definitely got a fair share of both and after listening to a dozen or so episodes, I can say that I've definitely learned more than I thought I wanted to know about at-first boring-sounding jobs.

Thanks again for another great recommendation. Master's Degree Theater is the best segment of any podcast I've ever heard. I would also say that the comedy and the education parts of the podcast are well-balanced. I still don't get what Bayesian Statistics is all about though.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
I've been listening to a lot of Backstory lately. Basically American history with three professional historians (like, history professors from UVA) giving an 18th, 19th and 20th-century perspective on various subjects. They tend to focus on the 19th century pretty heavily, but they're academically sound and are at least trying not to be completely dry. Also, given that it's three guys who are accustomed to putting out weekly lectures, their production pace is blistering. I'll look up and there's like four new hour-long episodes, only one of which is a rerun, and it's been two weeks.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Jeff Rubin's most recent show has a guy who wrote a history of the "golden age" of Nickelodeon is pretty interesting, but the guy that wrote it is clearly a bit of a crank. I mean, I like Pete and Pete as much as the next 30 year old but declaring the era as some kinda high point in television history when you haven't watched tv in years is crazy. Also horrifically misinformed. I mean maybe if he could have stopped rambling about how everything on TV looks the same now and everything else looked different back then because of artistic vision or whatever it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 27, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Jeff Rubin's most recent show has a guy who wrote a history of the "golden age" of Nickelodeon is pretty interesting, but the guy that wrote it is clearly a bit of a crank. I mean, I like Pete and Pete as much as the next 30 year old but declaring the era as some kinda high point in television history when you haven't watched tv in years is crazy. Also horrifically misinformed. I mean maybe if he could have stopped rambling about how everything on TV looks the same now and everything else looked different back then because of artistic vision or whatever it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

I had to turn it off halfway through. Not only crazy and misinformed, but pretty arrogant about it too.

I think I see what he's trying to say about visual style and sameiness when it comes to, say, your average episode of NCIS or 2 1/2 Men, but his point really falls flat if you broaden your scope even a little bit.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I had to turn it off halfway through. Not only crazy and misinformed, but pretty arrogant about it too.

I think I see what he's trying to say about visual style and sameiness when it comes to, say, your average episode of NCIS or 2 1/2 Men, but his point really falls flat if you broaden your scope even a little bit.

I mean, if a central conceit of your book is how influential a bunch of shows are, and then you talk about how a lot of the creators went on to work on the huge hits today (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.) then maybe you should watch some of those shows?

I mean really, talking about the art direction in Mad Men: "I've never seen it, but I saw some clips on the internet that my ex-girlfriend's fat roommate was watching, so I figured the show is just for fat stoners."

"Well, I've never seen it, but from what I read,"

Also, I've never heard so much praise for Clarissa Explains It All. You'd think it was Citizen Kane or something.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Yeah that guy was weird. And he refused to answer questions a few times too, he just said "Buy the book, $20".

The episode with the romance novel lady was great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In addition to all the aforementioned criticisms about how wrong he was about television, I also thought that he made a couple of uncomfortably sexual remarks that just kinda came out of nowhere. Like I think he said something along the lines of "Whenever I wasn't trying to sleep with my girlfriend" or that final bit with the "buying this book could get you laid," it just felt really kinda out of place and almost desperate.

Man, I really wish I hadn't listened to that podcast because I actually have the book, but now I kinda don't want to read it. I mean, the lack of any context for who people are except for a (huge) index in the back of the book doesn't really make it readable, but drat was that guy insufferable.