Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Jeff Rubin's most recent show has a guy who wrote a history of the "golden age" of Nickelodeon is pretty interesting, but the guy that wrote it is clearly a bit of a crank. I mean, I like Pete and Pete as much as the next 30 year old but declaring the era as some kinda high point in television history when you haven't watched tv in years is crazy. Also horrifically misinformed. I mean maybe if he could have stopped rambling about how everything on TV looks the same now and everything else looked different back then because of artistic vision or whatever it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

I really like Jeff Rubin's podcast, specially since his tagline "Interviews you didn't know you wanted to hear" is actually true, I would have never guess how interesting cleaning up after hoarders or working in romance novels could be. But that Nickelodeon "historian" was awful, everytime he wanted to point out how awful TV currently was (and recognizing he didn't actually watch TV) I cringed so much; I was interested in the book but now I am sure not going to buy it since he seems really misinformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Drunkboxer posted:

Jeff Rubin's most recent show has a guy who wrote a history of the "golden age" of Nickelodeon is pretty interesting, but the guy that wrote it is clearly a bit of a crank. I mean, I like Pete and Pete as much as the next 30 year old but declaring the era as some kinda high point in television history when you haven't watched tv in years is crazy. Also horrifically misinformed. I mean maybe if he could have stopped rambling about how everything on TV looks the same now and everything else looked different back then because of artistic vision or whatever it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

This was literally the only podcast I've turned off halfway through in years. I have never heard a more arrogant or stupider person. I was excited for the book, but immediately took it off my Christmas wishlist after this episode. Dude left such a bad taste in my mouth. Who doesn't loving love Pete and Pete and Hey Arnold? Sure, that poo poo holds up NOW maybe better then it did before. But EVERY show? And lumping The Wire and Breaking Bad into his "sameness" tirade. Even Rubin was obviously losing mad interest and respect in him at a rapid rate. Props to him for trying to corral the dude into a usable interview, though.

Obviously an emotionally stunted fanboy with no sense of self.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Thanks to all the anti-Nickelodeon-guy chat, I tried out the Jeff Rubin podcast for the first time, but avoided that specific episode. These are great! The romance editor interview had me grinning the entire hour.

A know a few people in Romance Writers of America, and I almost want to write romance just so I can join it. Especially compared to other genre organizations, like SFWA - which has gone through some serious drama this year - RWA seems like they really have their poo poo together. By all accounts I've heard, they come across as welcoming and friendly, but extremely business-like and professional as well.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 14, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I started listening to Revolutions after being suggested it via Twitter, and I'm really enjoying it. I suppose that means I should listen to his History of Rome podcast?

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Zorak posted:

I started listening to Revolutions after being suggested it via Twitter, and I'm really enjoying it. I suppose that means I should listen to his History of Rome podcast?

Defiantly he is a little shaky at the start but it's worth it. It took me about 2 months to make it through all 190 episodes but when I finished I just wanted more.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Firstscion posted:

Defiantly he is a little shaky at the start but it's worth it. It took me about 2 months to make it through all 190 episodes but when I finished I just wanted more.

Well I like Revolutions so I guess I've got something else to listen to while I wait for the next episode of that and hardcore history.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Firstscion posted:

Yeah, at the end I wished he was shifting focus to the Eastern empire but if you want to stop without running the show through another millennium that was the best place to stop.

History of Rome does follow my usual rule of podcasts: it takes a dozen episodes to learn what to do. By the time you hit the Punic Wars he's got it down. I want to say that was episode 15 or so, though it's been a while since I've listened to the early episodes...

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

uPen posted:

Well I like Revolutions so I guess I've got something else to listen to while I wait for the next episode of that and hardcore history.

I started listening to Hardcore History after finishing History of Rome and am almost through the free iTunes episodes, which means I'll soon (and gladly) enter paywall territory. Should I just start from the beginning? Cherry pick? Are there any episodes I should avoid?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I started listening to Hardcore History after finishing History of Rome and am almost through the free iTunes episodes, which means I'll soon (and gladly) enter paywall territory. Should I just start from the beginning? Cherry pick? Are there any episodes I should avoid?

The Ghosts of the Ostfront casts might be my favourite thing Dan has ever done. The Punic Nightmares casts are pretty good too. If you're cherry picking, those are my personal favourites.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
If you're a religious studies nerd with an irreverent sense of humor, you must must must listen to Robert M. Price's The Bible Geek and The Human Bible podcasts.

The Bible Geek is a big, fat, juicy question-and-answer podcast with an emphasis on higher criticism of the Bible. The host is a former Baptist evangelical minister with 3 PhD's in New Testament scholarship, who eventually became an atheist and even a mythicist (i.e., he is not fully convinced of the historical existence of Jesus). However, he still holds a lot of respect for the Bible and doesn't really have an axe to grind other than to call out poor scholarship or bad apologetical arguments. He's also a more general geek and peppers the show with references to classic sci-fi and comics. BONUS: he does voices. Among other thing, he reads the voice of God in the Old Testament as Charlton Heston, and has started reading the voice of the Apostle Paul as Paul Lynde. He reads listener questions in terrible accents. It'll either drive you bonkers or you'll love it. He gets tons of questions so he generally has enough content to do a 90-minute or longer podcast two or three days a week, sometimes more.

The Human Bible is more structured, designed to give a humanist introduction to the Bible for those who aren't as familiar. It's less freewheeling than The Bible Geek, and has distinct sections, like Up to Speed, a quick overview of topics the psalms or the Book of Job; Is That in the Bible? where people write in with questions about the Biblical basis for popular or doctrinal beliefs like hell, the Trinity, etc.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

The Bible Geek is a big, fat, juicy question-and-answer podcast with an emphasis on higher criticism of the Bible.

I wanted to check this out but it seems like the file distribution site he uses isn't there any more...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Random Stranger posted:

I wanted to check this out but it seems like the file distribution site he uses isn't there any more...

Ugh it's just down right now, apparently. He uploads to ustream during the week so you can try looking for it there...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

If you're a religious studies nerd with an irreverent sense of humor, you must must must listen to Robert M. Price's The Bible Geek and The Human Bible podcasts.

The Bible Geek is a big, fat, juicy question-and-answer podcast with an emphasis on higher criticism of the Bible. The host is a former Baptist evangelical minister with 3 PhD's in New Testament scholarship, who eventually became an atheist and even a mythicist (i.e., he is not fully convinced of the historical existence of Jesus). However, he still holds a lot of respect for the Bible and doesn't really have an axe to grind other than to call out poor scholarship or bad apologetical arguments. He's also a more general geek and peppers the show with references to classic sci-fi and comics. BONUS: he does voices. Among other thing, he reads the voice of God in the Old Testament as Charlton Heston, and has started reading the voice of the Apostle Paul as Paul Lynde. He reads listener questions in terrible accents. It'll either drive you bonkers or you'll love it. He gets tons of questions so he generally has enough content to do a 90-minute or longer podcast two or three days a week, sometimes more.

What's a good place to start?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Drunkboxer posted:

What's a good place to start?
The Human Bible is a good place to start and see if you like his schtick, and there's an episode that gives an intro to Biblical form criticism, which is a methodology he tends to use often.

For The Bible Geek, just go through the archive (whenever the maintenance is done on it) and scroll through until you see a show with a topic you're interested in. Recent episode synopses have minute:second indicators which is a great improvement.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

The Human Bible is a good place to start and see if you like his schtick, and there's an episode that gives an intro to Biblical form criticism, which is a methodology he tends to use often.

For The Bible Geek, just go through the archive (whenever the maintenance is done on it) and scroll through until you see a show with a topic you're interested in. Recent episode synopses have minute:second indicators which is a great improvement.

Oh I guess I didn't read you post well enough and thought these were from two different guys, I'll start with the Human Bible.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Any recommendations for In Our Time history episodes? I'm mostly interested in ancient history (I guess that's what you call it), preferably not too roman. I enjoyed the Zenobia episode but it looks like there's a massive backlog to dig through.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

Any recommendations for In Our Time history episodes? I'm mostly interested in ancient history (I guess that's what you call it), preferably not too roman. I enjoyed the Zenobia episode but it looks like there's a massive backlog to dig through.

Yeah, the back log is pretty overwhelming with In Our Time and because it's just a BBC radio program with experts talking about these topics they're all pretty good if you're interested in the topic. The only episodes I've found to be excessively dry (it's BBC and college professors so it's always going to be somewhat dry :v: ) are usually the philosophy ones.

There does seem to be an excess of Roman (or closely related) topics as I look over my directory of episodes. I have enjoyed their pieces on Chinese history. The Ming Voyages (Oct 13, 2011) is a good one for that; there's some crazy theories that get pushed about these that they don't cover but knowing about them makes it more interesting (basically, a fringe "historian" with a habit of making up facts keeps publishing books about them traveling to America or Italy).

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, the back log is pretty overwhelming with In Our Time and because it's just a BBC radio program with experts talking about these topics they're all pretty good if you're interested in the topic. The only episodes I've found to be excessively dry (it's BBC and college professors so it's always going to be somewhat dry :v: ) are usually the philosophy ones.

There does seem to be an excess of Roman (or closely related) topics as I look over my directory of episodes. I have enjoyed their pieces on Chinese history. The Ming Voyages (Oct 13, 2011) is a good one for that; there's some crazy theories that get pushed about these that they don't cover but knowing about them makes it more interesting (basically, a fringe "historian" with a habit of making up facts keeps publishing books about them traveling to America or Italy).

I got bamboozled by the book. I keep it around as a cautionary tale. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0061564893

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rypakal posted:

I got bamboozled by the book. I keep it around as a cautionary tale. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0061564893

I had heard of 1421 but a couple of months ago Amazon had the sequel on sale for a couple of bucks and it almost got me. "Oh, there was a Chinese expedition to Italy like a reverse Marco Polo? That sounds facinating. Let me just double check the author and... oh."

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
On the topic of biblical history, I've been listening to Lance Ralston's Communio Sanctorum. It's a podcast on the history of the church, similar in style to Lars Brownworth's 12 Byzantine Rulers/Norman Centuries podcasts.

Last year, Ralston reached episode 100 and decided to completely reboot the podcast. Starting over at zero and beginning at birth of the church, I think it's a much more focused show now, and the 15-20 minute episode lengths make it easy to burn through half a dozen episodes in one sitting. He does let his personal religious bias show through every once in a while, but Ralston does a pretty good job of keeping his discussions based more on historical fact.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Jay Dub posted:

On the topic of biblical history, I've been listening to Lance Ralston's Communio Sanctorum. It's a podcast on the history of the church, similar in style to Lars Brownworth's 12 Byzantine Rulers/Norman Centuries podcasts.

Last year, Ralston reached episode 100 and decided to completely reboot the podcast. Starting over at zero and beginning at birth of the church, I think it's a much more focused show now, and the 15-20 minute episode lengths make it easy to burn through half a dozen episodes in one sitting. He does let his personal religious bias show through every once in a while, but Ralston does a pretty good job of keeping his discussions based more on historical fact.

FYI, when searching this is "History of the Christian Church". I may have spent too much time trying to find this on downcast.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Ah, yeah that's true. "The History of the Christian Church" is how it's listed on iTunes.

Sorry, I'm just so used to hearing him introduce it as Communio Sanctorum.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Jay Dub posted:

Ah, yeah that's true. "The History of the Christian Church" is how it's listed on iTunes.

Sorry, I'm just so used to hearing him introduce it as Communio Sanctorum.

Well, it just errors out when trying to stream/download. So maybe that's not the right name after all.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I saw all the new posts and figured a new Hardcore History must be out :( Damnit Carlin, release the next one already!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I saw all the new posts and figured a new Hardcore History must be out :( Damnit Carlin, release the next one already!

Yeah release one Carlin, and release one agaaain, and agaaain... and agaaain.

I've burned through like 15 episodes of The Human Bible now and am really digging it. I especially like the Is that in the Bible? bits. I tried just jumping into The Bible Geek but it was sort of over my head, unfortunately. I'll try it again when I'm done with THB since it seems like he doesn't release them that often. I was initially worried that Price would just be harping on the historicity of Jesus too much based on a quick look at his bibliography, but that's not the case.

I do kind of wonder why he needed 3 different PhDs in almost the same subject, but whatever.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

I do kind of wonder why he needed 3 different PhDs in almost the same subject, but whatever.

libarts.txt

(I'm one, I'm allowed to say it)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The thing that annoys me most about In Our Time is that they're incapable of properly compacting the topic to the show. They basically spend the first half of the show setting up the basics of the topic, realize they have yet to actually talk about the basic topic, cram it in as much as possible, then rush the to wrap it up in like two minutes. The diversity of the show is great and I realize that's just a product of "hey we brought some professors in to talk about _____", but it's silly sometimes due to them trying to rush out their conclusions.

Also the episode about Shintoism was pretty hysterical due to the professors trying to aim for the least-simplified explanations possible and then mostly ummming and being very unhelpful as Melvyn Bragg tries to get to the bottom of it. It's really not that complex guys!!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Did I hear that right on the new Common Sense, he thinks that the WW1 series will take years? :stare:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Popelmon posted:

Did I hear that right on the new Common Sense, he thinks that the WW1 series will take years? :stare:

I wouldn't be surprised at the rate its going now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can already imagine what his talks about trench warfare will sound like;

"So imagine what it must have been like to be told "Well, we gotta take out that, gotta take out their machine gun nests so the charge happens tomorrow at dawn and by the way we're sorry that so many of you are gonna die". And you hear that every day so you go over the top, charge it, somehow you don't die trapped in the barbed wire or cut to ribbons by, by a Maxim. And you take the trench. But then your Commanding Officer says "Congratulations, we're going to do the exact same thing tomorrow!" So you do it. Again and again and again!..."

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

RandomPauI posted:

"So imagine what it must have been like to be told "Well, we gotta take out that, gotta take out their machine gun nests so the charge happens tomorrow at dawn and by the way we're sorry that so many of you are gonna die". And you hear that every day so you go over the top, charge it, somehow you don't die trapped in the barbed wire or cut to ribbons by, by a Maxim. And you take the trench. But then your Commanding Officer says "Congratulations, we're going to do the exact same thing tomorrow!" So you do it. Again and again and again!..."

Spot on Dan-talk haha

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

You forgot to add in the twenty minutes of him saying he doesn't mean to offend anyone, he is going to butcher every foreign word and that he isn't a real historian just a fan of history.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
And a boxing analogy. Whenever Dan talks about war, there's gotta be a boxing analogy.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
And agi-yun and agi-yun!

Dan makes every other podcast look like amateur hour by comparison but even he has his quirks.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Up to about episode 50 on Mike Duncan's The History of Rome. I have been listening to them at work when busy with less intensive tasks, they've certainly helped the day go quicker, though I don't think my rate of consumption is going to make them last nearly long enough until Revolutions starts again.

I guess after that I'll give that History of China podcast a go.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I guess his estimate about the WW1 series taking over a year to finish might be accurate.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Mr. Pither posted:

And agi-yun and agi-yun!

Dan makes every other podcast look like amateur hour by comparison but even he has his quirks.

There's an episode where he says again about twenty times and it's the most infuriating thing in the world

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Zorak posted:

Up to about episode 50 on Mike Duncan's The History of Rome. I have been listening to them at work when busy with less intensive tasks, they've certainly helped the day go quicker, though I don't think my rate of consumption is going to make them last nearly long enough until Revolutions starts again.

I guess after that I'll give that History of China podcast a go.

I'm on 108 and thoroughly enjoying them. I liked the episodes on the daily life of the average Roman and tour of the provinces the best so far, as it had basically turned into The History of Roman Emperors.

I'm also looking forward to History of China, since as a westerner it's something I know a lot less about going in.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
History of Rome really does turn in to a 'great people' centered thing during the decline, but it is hard to blame him since that's what the sources cover for the most part. It does cover interesting people that weren't emporers well though. I finished it last week finally and overall it was an excellent way to spend the commute and a couple plane rides for a few months.

I'm listening to History of Alexander the Great right now. It seems decent after one and a half episodes and it is fairly short so I'd probably finish it anyway. The guy doesn't do quite as good of a job as Duncan did of offering alternate theories and pointing out when something is almost certainly mythical, but I'm hoping once we get away from the Alexander the Great 'foundation story' type stuff that'll get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

History of Rome really does turn in to a 'great people' centered thing during the decline, but it is hard to blame him since that's what the sources cover for the most part.

It's astounding to think that the third century is much more poorly documented even by primary sources than the two hundred years before them and the following century.

When I went to Italy a few years ago I loaded up the History of Rome on my MP3 player. It was really nice to be able to hear a bit about something as you're looking at the site.