Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I'm on 108 and thoroughly enjoying them. I liked the episodes on the daily life of the average Roman and tour of the provinces the best so far, as it had basically turned into The History of Roman Emperors.

I'm also looking forward to History of China, since as a westerner it's something I know a lot less about going in.

I love The History of Rome, but now that I am in the last hundred years of the empire it is kind of sad, like reading a book you already know the bleak ending of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Having just finished my second run-through, I think it's fitting that the History of Rome podcast peters out the way that it does, because I think it tonally simulates the decline of the empire. It really imparts a sense of melancholy sor something that had been so vigorous

As a dude who has studied a lot Chinese history, I really didn't like "The Chinese History Podcast" (which I think people have been referring to as The History of China) . The host just irks me and I recall thinking that his scholarship wasn't up to snuff. And he's really into Communist era stuff, which I find to be the least interesting part. But that's just me, and I admittedly stopped early

A Short History of Japan was really good but the dude hasn't updated in a year

Anyway, I just downloaded "The History of China" and "History of Japan." Haven't listened to the former yet. The latter seems OK so far except that the host's way of speaking drives me kinda nuts

\/Ok, yeah that's the one I just downloaded. The OP recommends a different one though, so it's hard to know what's what \/

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 28, 2014

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I was referring to the Chris Stewart podcast which started back in November. I listened to the first episode and thought it was good enough to keep going, but I'll wait until I'm finished with Rome.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

WDIIA posted:

Having just finished my second run-through, I think it's fitting that the History of Rome podcast peters out the way that it does, because I think it tonally simulates the decline of the empire. It really imparts a sense of melancholy sor something that had been so vigorous

As a dude who has studied a lot Chinese history, I really didn't like "The Chinese History Podcast" (which I think people have been referring to as The History of China) . The host just irks me and I recall thinking that his scholarship wasn't up to snuff. And he's really into Communist era stuff, which I find to be the least interesting part. But that's just me, and I admittedly stopped early

Anyway, I just downloaded "The History of China" and "History of Japan." Haven't listened to the former yet. The latter seems OK so far except that the host's way of speaking drives me kinda nuts

\/Ok, yeah that's the one I just downloaded. The OP recommends a different one though, so it's hard to know what's what \/

His podcasts are informative, but I do feel like the guy is just reading off a lecture he transcribed or wrote down. He does a lot of names and dates but rarely gives you the rich sense of detail that Dan Carlin does. My favorite parts are the ending bits, where he plugs his town in some overly sumptuous manner.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW

WDIIA posted:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm about halfway through History of Alexander the Great now, and he does a much better job of separating fact from probable fiction as it goes on, so that fear is assuaged. The audio quality seems to have gotten a lot better in the last couple episodes I listened to, but the first few are rough. Besides that, if you can deal with his accent and him pausing right before every time he says a name he isn't sure how to pronounce, you should give it a shot. And get to at least the beginning of the campaign in Persia before you judge it too harshly, things picked up quite a bit there. I see he has a Hannibal podcast also, which I'll gladly put in the queue after I finish this one and Carlin's Hannibal one.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Well this is perfect timing, going to be spending all day tomorrow driving around.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

uPen posted:

Well this is perfect timing, going to be spending all day tomorrow driving around.

Speaking of which, I'm getting a 404 on the site for the MP3 of the latest episode (Blueprint for Armageddon II), did I just have the bad luck to check while it was in the middle of uploading, or is it properly broken?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been able to download it from the website or from itunes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I just checked my phone and it stopped downloading it with 184mb left to go (which appears to be about 75% done).

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The download from dancarlin.com works for me.

Christ, why am I so excited about a podcast?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Popelmon posted:

Same here.

Looks to be about 3.5 hours. Time to go on a road trip I guess.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Popelmon posted:

It just came online around 10am EST

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

After blueprint part 1 I was so excited I read one of his sources, "A World Undone," while waiting for episode 2. very good book, in case you want some additional material.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love that Dan has a boxing analogy for everything :allears:.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Am I missing something or did the roman republic podcasts disappear from the archive page? They're not up for sale either. I was just done with part 5

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

joe football posted:

Am I missing something or did the roman republic podcasts disappear from the archive page? They're not up for sale either. I was just done with part 5

This happened to me too! Except I was in the middle of the series :(

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Crisco Kid posted:

This happened to me too! Except I was in the middle of the series :(

I had just finished the first episode before I noticed they were gone, dammit.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Popelmon posted:

I love that Dan has a boxing analogy for everything :allears:.

Yeah I counted at least two boxing references in this latest episode. There may have been even more.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
To throw in some fresh podcasts for consideration:

* I find Caustic Soda has got a bit too much wisecracking for my tastes, almost as if they're afraid to admit the subject is interesting or serious. Useless Information, while being incredibly no-frills, is a bit more serious and tries to tell more of a coherent story rather than a set of tidbits. The presenter is a bit stiff, but it's interesting.

* Robert M Price was mentioned above in connection with Bible studies. Some years back he appeared a few time on Truth Driven Thinking. TDT has since died multiple deaths, but in its heyday it had a lot of interesting content. It wasn't a sceptics / debunkers broadcast but more of a "what's surprisingly true / untrue?" - Should prostitution be illegal? Is drink-driving that bad? - featuring interviews with informed (and non-crazy) people. It eventually foundered and became dominated by the hosts search for faith/meaning but there was good stuff at the beginning.

* The Memory Palace is heavy on atmospherics but has high productions values and each episode makes a story out of some historical event or character. Perhaps too heavy on tone than information for some people, but I like it a lot.

* Unruly, irregular and unpredictable, Tank Riot is just three guys from Wisconsin picking some topic and running with it, ranging from Gilligan's Island through China to Open Source Software. Sometimes they get led astray by asides, sometimes they just grapple with the topic, the schedule and length of the program is uncertain, but it has a rambunctious charm to it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I was pretty excited to listen to the newest episode of HH due to the emphasis of military technology/tactics but man did it start slow. I'm very familiar with how Dan sets up something before delving into it but it took over an hour to get into the Battle of the Frontiers, which is what the podcast is about. It normally wouldn't be so bad but he spent the first hour basically retreading the end of part 1 and saying "KILLING POWER WOULD BE INCREASED" over and over and over again. I just felt like, "Come on man, lets get to the meat of it".

Great once the battle talk started though.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
The roman series is in fact on the store page BTW, even though it's not apparent from the main archive page. Don't think I'm going to start a PayPal account just to get the last episode though

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Revolutions is back!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
If anyone doesn't listen to Revolutions but was considering it, this is an excellent jumping-on point

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:woop: This is great news.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone know what Dan was reading from in that Ghosts of the Ostfront series that had that section that showed the dysfunction of the Soviet chain of command? It was the one where each superior officer ended up pointing a gun at his subordinate, and it eventually ended with a bunch of soldiers that couldn't swim being marched into a river.

I know I could probably go back and dig this up somehow but I was just wondering if one of you guys knew it right off.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

quote:

I've been working on the next HH episode, and it is going to have a rather horrible rhythm to it (yes...on shows that are as long as ours, a rhythm, pacing and the rise and fall of tension and drama are all things we have to design into the narrative).

I remember how I felt after I saw the movie "Platoon" when it first arrived in the theaters in the 1980s. I am not going to tell you what that feeling WAS (and spoil your fun!), but that's the way I want you to feel after the next episode ends. I want you to feel a tiny bit like the people living through this era felt.

Just FYI, it ain't gonna be rainbows and unicorns...and you are going to get dirty. Bring a poncho. And a gas mask...

Stop teasing and just release the next part Dan!

Also: The last Common Sense was...something. I really didn't expect to hear that much about Dan's father.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Popelmon posted:

Stop teasing and just release the next part Dan!

Cut this out.

Whenever Dan starts a big series, he basically isn't allowed to participate in discussion or media at all because everyone howls non-stop that he needs to get back to work.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it'll be done when it's done, and if he rushed things, the quality would suffer.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I both love and hate the buildup Dan does for a person/place/thing in HH - especially people. I can't stand when he goes on and on about the person's intro to the narrative (e.g. Caesar, Genghis Khan) while being coy about saying the name and I'm like "Just say it. Just loving say it. We all know who you're talking about." But when the podcast is over I look forward to hearing how he'll do it for the next person and get a stupid grin on my face each time he launches into it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
In the opposite sense, I always really enjoy when someone notable dies (often killed) in History Of Rome or Revolutions and Mike Duncan will give a quick recap of their life, accomplishments, whether he thinks the modern popular image of them is totally fair etc. Guy got me emotional about the death of Oliver loving Cromwell.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Somewhat related, Duncan called Ben Franklin "the Founding Grandfather" in Monday's Revolutions, I like it.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Antti posted:

Somewhat related, Duncan called Ben Franklin "the Founding Grandfather" in Monday's Revolutions, I like it.

America's Horny Great-Uncle

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just bought some of the very old episodes of Hardcore History, I'm surprised how many nazi stuff is in there. I bought the X-History Files and the What Ifs episodes, since I wanted something lighter.

Anyway, Itunes thinks they are songs, so I can't stop listening, or I'll lose the part I was in. Any idea how can I make them podcasts?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

radlum posted:

I just bought some of the very old episodes of Hardcore History, I'm surprised how many nazi stuff is in there. I bought the X-History Files and the What Ifs episodes, since I wanted something lighter.

Anyway, Itunes thinks they are songs, so I can't stop listening, or I'll lose the part I was in. Any idea how can I make them podcasts?

That's from right-clicking or going to the File menu and hitting Get Info. The language may be a little different on Windows.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This latest HH was the first time Dan's mangling of pronunciation actually got to me. I listened to audiobooks of A World Undone and Guns of August over the last 2 months, so hearing him stumble over General Lanrezac, Crown Prince Rupprecht and the river Meuse was a little jarring. I didn't actually pay too much attention to Part 1, but his show notes are a good source of books to look out for instead.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
For all the apologizing he does over mispronounced words you would think he would just look up them up and have the phonetic pronunciations sitting in front of him.

I took a few years from listening to HH and just recently rediscovered it thanks to this thread. I'm really glad I did.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
In all fairness, Dan Carlin is a lot better on pronunciation than Mike Duncan is in the History of Rome.

Duncan called Hannibal Barca and the rest of the Barca clan "Baraca" and still hasn't stopped up to the episode I'm on (around the start of Augustus' reign). He also had to be corrected by readers for a bunch of super basic pronunciations, like plebeians. Not a big deal, but it seems like Dan is a bit more on point with the pronunciations.

I like how Dan uses the hard C instead of G for Roman names. It's a pick and choose situation and most people today would say something like Gaius instead of Caius. Or the way he pronounces something like Lucius with the hard C. I dunno why, but I like it with the hard C.

I really am enjoying History of Rome, but man does Duncan's lecture style delivery get a bit old sometimes. Especially when he's trying to interject some of his attempts at humor or sarcasm into the show, it comes off really poorly. I guess the lecture style is a double edged sword though, because with the dryness of the style comes the advantage of a whole hell of a lot more information about all the events and stuff than you get with Dan's freewheelin' style.

If you pulled my leg I'd pick Dan's style over it any day, but I'm glad both exist. Listening to Mike Duncan's take on the fall of republican Rome then listening to Dan's series on the same really complimented each other. With Duncan you get a great, if dry, overview of all the important events and lives of the important figures, then with Dan you get his crazy "WHAT IS IT LIKE TO FIGHT AN ELEPHANT IN HAND TO HAND COMBAT? AGI-YUN, AND AGI-YUN, AND AGI-YUN?" style which humanizes the story and brings it to life.

God I loving love Hardcore History so much :3:

Damo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 21, 2014

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What? To each their own, but I find Mike's dry humor to be a lot funnier. Also his Koufax : Aurelian analogy was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, I love it when Mike just drops in a little joke, mostly because it's usually out of nowhere and still read in his usual dry but addictively listenable style.