Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Samovar posted:

Neat! I also need to check if I should swap podcast apps, cause this ain't up on Player.fm, and it's not been the only channel that that's happened with

Oh I think it’s only on the Patreon at the moment, should be up on podcast apps in a week or so I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Samovar posted:

Neat! I also need to check if I should swap podcast apps, cause this ain't up on Player.fm, and it's not been the only channel that that's happened with

It's out on patreon, don't think it's been released to the unwashed masses yet

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Carthage episode is out on spotify and probably everywhere else now

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone know why radio war nerd is suddenly gone from my feeds? I had it in Google podcasts and now bam gone

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I really like HI101 for its approachable vibe and conversational tone. I feel like the host does a good job of establishing a narrative that's easy to follow while doing other things, which is how I usually like to listen to podcasts (at work, while playing video games , etc). I feel like when I listen to things like Revolutions or Fall of Rome, my mind may wander and I'll miss a detail and then be lost.

I know everyone likes to rag on Hardcore History, and the quality has definitely gone downhill in recent years (still love Death Throes of the Republic), but I feel like that and HI101 are both pretty easy to follow, and if I miss a beat I can usually catch the thread back pretty quickly. Any recommendations for something similar? I've listened to The Dollop but I'm not super looking for comedy specifically.

Also, I know this isn't really this thread's purview, but does anyone have recommendations for a biography on Bismarck?

I should also mention that I already subscribe to Conflicted, Inward Empire, and Fall of Civilizations and quite enjoy those as well.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyone know why radio war nerd is suddenly gone from my feeds? I had it in Google podcasts and now bam gone

Last post on patreon was April 30

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SoR Blaze posted:

I really like HI101 for its approachable vibe and conversational tone. I feel like the host does a good job of establishing a narrative that's easy to follow while doing other things, which is how I usually like to listen to podcasts (at work, while playing video games , etc). I feel like when I listen to things like Revolutions or Fall of Rome, my mind may wander and I'll miss a detail and then be lost.

I know everyone likes to rag on Hardcore History, and the quality has definitely gone downhill in recent years (still love Death Throes of the Republic), but I feel like that and HI101 are both pretty easy to follow, and if I miss a beat I can usually catch the thread back pretty quickly. Any recommendations for something similar? I've listened to The Dollop but I'm not super looking for comedy specifically.

Also, I know this isn't really this thread's purview, but does anyone have recommendations for a biography on Bismarck?

I should also mention that I already subscribe to Conflicted, Inward Empire, and Fall of Civilizations and quite enjoy those as well.

[Based on a true story] and [Do go on] are both good for background listening. Though Do Go On is sort of like the Dollop but from Australia, so more laid back and less (as in not at all) political

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Cockblocktopus posted:

If you liked the first two seasons of Slow Burn, Luminary dropped the first season of Leon Nayfakh's (previously paywalled) follow-up podcast Fiasco a month or so ago. It's about Bush v. Gore/the Florida recount and it's great; I haven't minded the following seasons of Slow Burn but this really reminded me of the magic that was the first two seasons.

Quoting my own post from three years ago and bumping the thread because Slow Burn's an Audible exclusive now and Amazon/Audible just brought another season of Fiasco out from behind the paywall.

The season is about the AIDS crisis in the Reagan/Bush/Clinton years and it is excellent. I'm pausing Episode 6 to post about it but the first five episodes have all been very good so far. It's a tough listen and depressing as hell, but it's also a great example of what nonfiction podcasting looks like at its best.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's all rather minor, but the Fall of Civilization dude told Musk to gently caress off (rightfully so), so the usual psycho-nutters are trying to paint them in the worst light.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just caught up with Fiasco’s AIDS season and…just wow. Unbelievably compelling.

I don’t know how long it’s been made available outside Audible but I got it on Apple Podcasts just fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Samovar posted:

It's all rather minor, but the Fall of Civilization dude told Musk to gently caress off (rightfully so), so the usual psycho-nutters are trying to paint them in the worst light.

what's all this about then

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CommonShore posted:

what's all this about then

https://twitter.com/Fall_of_Civ_Pod/status/1668026961791184903

Hit the replies to that if you want a sample platter

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Kalli posted:

https://twitter.com/Fall_of_Civ_Pod/status/1668026961791184903

Hit the replies to that if you want a sample platter

laffo that the top reply to that is loving Ian Miles Cheong

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
How do you upload a podcast to Twitter, anyway?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

You scream it into the internets tube

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Thwomp posted:

I just caught up with Fiasco’s AIDS season and…just wow. Unbelievably compelling.

I don’t know how long it’s been made available outside Audible but I got it on Apple Podcasts just fine.

Listened to it after seeing this, thanks for the rec. It was good and educational since I didn't really know much about the AIDS crisis since it was "over" by the time I was a teen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Has Mike Duncan announced any of his plans post-Revolutions yet?

E: also I gotta say I loved Patrick Wyman's episode and interview on the emergence of Rome. Nice to see someone peel back the obviously rotten layers of the Romulus myth onion, while still stressing how important it was to contemporary Romans understanding of their own past.

E2: Also it's a deeply Canadian suggestion, but The Strategists podcast has been really good lately.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 27, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PittTheElder posted:

Has Mike Duncan announced any of his plans post-Revolutions yet?

He's working on a Crisis/Aurelian book and the next podcast is like book reviews or something with a cohost I've never heard of, it didn't sound interesting enough to remember.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah a book review podcast series with someone named Alexis Coe, alongside the new book:

Hard to keep track of him since he's basically never on Twitter anymore (just like everyone else)

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1666809587675303936

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I just blasted through revolutions season on the 1848 revolutions, now into the empire of france / Franco Prussian war stuff.

It made me realise how much I’d love a podcast on ww1/2, I guess either or but specifically 1 as it’s got a lot to do with the aftermaths of the aforementioned.

Anything that’s fairly like narrative based like revolutions etc that people have listened to? Google brings up approximately a bajillion.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

History That Doesn't Suck! is doing a World War One series right now and it's not bad; it's explicitly US-focused so the entire pre-US war got cut down to a single 67 minute episode.

The Iron Dice just wrapped its first miniseries(?) about Germany between the Armistice and signing the Treaty of Versailles and it was excellent, but also not quite what you're asking for.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cockblocktopus posted:

History That Doesn't Suck! is doing a World War One series right now and it's not bad; it's explicitly US-focused so the entire pre-US war got cut down to a single 67 minute episode.

Wait I thought you said it's not bad.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

No offence, but that premise sounds a bit like making a nuclear weapons history podcast and summarising everything that isn't French. WW1 is a very hard place to try to avoid an holistic view

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 4, 2023

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If you can stand Dan Carlin and his boxing/alien analogies, his series on WW1 (Blueprint for Armageddon) is pretty decent, one of his better ones imo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im actually interested in the ww1 america focused podcast just because they didnt even get a look in during my highschool modern history classes on it. tbf we didnt do much on the actual war either, just gallipoli and the usual 'write 500 words why ww1 happened' essay but i didnt even know the us were in the war until i got into ship hits the fan and they did a podcast on the lusitania

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No offence, but that premise sounds a bit like making a nuclear weapons history podcast and summarising everything that isn't French. WW1 is a very hard place to try to avoid an holistic view

Oh I don't disagree; it's explicitly a "this is the story of American involvement in WWI, here's a barebones explanation of who's shooting who and why" angle on the war. I'm sure there's a better podcast out there, but the only holistic treatments I'm remembering offhand are audiobooks, not podcasts.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Cockblocktopus posted:

Oh I don't disagree; it's explicitly a "this is the story of American involvement in WWI, here's a barebones explanation of who's shooting who and why" angle on the war. I'm sure there's a better podcast out there, but the only holistic treatments I'm remembering offhand are audiobooks, not podcasts.

That's a very fair point

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

webmeister posted:

If you can stand Dan Carlin and his boxing/alien analogies, his series on WW1 (Blueprint for Armageddon) is pretty decent, one of his better ones imo

Eh... Doesn't it maintain the standard falsehoods about the shooting of Franz Ferdinand?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

teacup posted:

So I just blasted through revolutions season on the 1848 revolutions, now into the empire of france / Franco Prussian war stuff.

It made me realise how much I’d love a podcast on ww1/2, I guess either or but specifically 1 as it’s got a lot to do with the aftermaths of the aforementioned.

Anything that’s fairly like narrative based like revolutions etc that people have listened to? Google brings up approximately a bajillion.

When Diplomacy Fails is a podcast by an irish then-grad-student historian focused on military history and diplomacy and has a number of series in depth about WW1. He did a series of specials about the war in 2013 that were really good; he then went in depth about the july crisis and then had an insane day by day series about the negotiations for the treaty of versailles. It's great.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seconding When Diplomacy Fails. It's rough around the edges for the ww1 content, much of which is very early in his now very long run, but he specifically focuses on the interesting political bits.

He was an undergrad when he started podcasting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think History of the 20th century by Marc Painter did a pretty good general overview of WW1 also.

But I would certainly say WDFs is more in-depth re. politics and diplomacy. HoXX is more holistic.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1683556001155301378

let's fuckin gooooo. is there a blowback specific thread

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The upcoming season is about 9/11, I take it?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I think more specifically it's going to be about American intervention in Afghanistan in the 80s.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/1604280308555300866?t=gtrf2bX6w-JLaTW376RNZw&s=19

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Wife asked for a good podcast about the cold war. any suggestions. doesn't need to be a dedicated podcast either, just a couple episodes of something else should do.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Arrhythmia posted:

Wife asked for a good podcast about the cold war. any suggestions. doesn't need to be a dedicated podcast either, just a couple episodes of something else should do.

I don’t listen to much of it, but Cold War Conversations might be good for her. It might also be too much, it isn’t a history of the Cold War, it’s interviews with people involved in the Cold War in one way or another

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I have a thought that pictures might add a je ne sais quoi for her if she wants to get a feeling for the cold war and the times. Was it BBC that produced the "20th century" docu series? The one with the prominent important/adjacent people interviews in the later episodes?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s not a podcast, but Carlin has a new substack and, uh.

quote:

This pressure comes in part because of an either/or question that has very important ramifications regardless of the answer. It's becoming harder to say that there is nothing out there. So what is it that is being seen? Clearly it involves extremely advanced technology and capabilities. There are four possible answers to what this might be.

It's us (U.S.-built technology)
It's something made by another Earth power
It is Earth-built tech but from sometime in the future (and here via time travel)
It's something from outside Earth

Dan’s going off the deep end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s not a podcast, but Carlin has a new substack and, uh.

Dan’s going off the deep end.

Dan has always had the vibe of a conspiracy sort of guy, but his training has always reigned him back in.

This stuff though, maybe because it's in front of Congress it's official enough for him to buy into it?

I find this UFO poo poo to be unimaginably stupid, personally.