Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

rypakal posted:

He stays a lot saner than your Joe Rogans, but once in a while he says something and I think "he's listened to a lot of Glenn Beck"

I find his points are usually pretty spot on, but I shudder to think what his forums must be like. I'm afraid to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Drunkboxer posted:

Not that I didn't like that episode, I could listen to him ramble on that period forever frankly. He's good enough at what he does to make me like disagreeing with him.
This is what anyone scared of listening to Common Sense should know; even when you're disagreeing with him it's still enjoyable. I've been shaking my head at his last few Russia discussions on there but it's still an interesting point of view, and he never feels like he's talking down at you.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Well replace angry callers with angry twitter messages and forum posts and it's probably still the same old to him, but you're right it does have a some of that talk radio feel to it still. I think the thing that bothers me most about Common Sense is the horribly cheesy intros, and those are talk radio as gently caress.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Thwomp posted:

I've only just recently discovered youtube channels but these fit the bill (in decreasing order of speed but they're all really fast paced):

To add to these there's also Numberphile and Computerphile, which are the same sort of informative videos only more about mathematics.

Numberphile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab_dY3dZFHM

Computerphile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcDZS7iYNsA

some of the deeper subjects do stretch the definition of "fast paced", but oh well.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I can't imagine him glossing over Skyes-Picot considering what an effect that has had on the modern world. That's the kind of present day connection I imagine Carlin loves.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think it's also a testament to how interconnected so much of history is. The story of Cleopatra is incomplete if you don't know why Caesar and Pompey are in Egypt, that story is informed heavily by the reign of Sulla, and so on. I'm sure the Thor's Angels episode could have been about the entire history of the Holy Roman Empire if Carlin didn't have some sense of when to cut it off.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Maybe he should record episodes from the prison phone like Adnan Syed

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Prophets of Doom is like a Dan Carlin version of a Dollop episode, it's so nuts.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

You guys are going in the opposite direction from what I'd want: Dan Carlin Reads Yahoo Answers.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

What's this guy all about? The show description says "politically independent" but I'm assuming anyone who has strong enough opinions to launch a podcast swings pretty stronly one way or the other. I've heard this mentioned a few times but hour+ episodes are tough to sample, if you can tell me what his thing is and his strong spots I'd appreciate it.

Carlin seems to purposely try to slip out of political definition as not to alienate anyone, but if you had to pidgeonhole him I'd say left-leaning libertarian? He's pretty states rights-y, but also talks about the need for regulation in the financial sector. From the time I've listened I'd say his pet issue is privacy vs security. He had an "I told you so"-esque episode after the Snowden leaks started coming out.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Cockblocktopus posted:

Speaking of Carlin did anybody listen to his latest Common Sense podcast? I don't actually listen to it myself but the summary sounds like peak Carlin.

It was basically a long screed about how you shouldn't discount third parties because of history, and how we're basically hosed if we don't address the same problems Carlin always wants addressed. Definitely Carlin as gently caress but not quite as nuts as the description makes it sound. Given the state of the third parties right now, that section falls on deaf ears real easy, but the history he brings up is interesting at least.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 17, 2016

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Italy, apparently. In that context it's a lot less insane than rotinaj put it but it's also silly to yell about first amendment rights in a country that doesn't have the first amendment.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Carlin keeps calling Eisenhower one of history's great gamers in this and I know what he means by it but I can't not laugh every time.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

webmeister posted:

aka The Dan Carlin Effect

Sheepishly explaining that his entire series on the fall of the roman republic was just supposed to be a biography of Cleopatra is maybe the most endearing Dan Carlin has ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

COPE 27 posted:

How would one describe the Korean war without portraying the US as 100% evil?

When I was taught the Korean war it was always in the context of it being the 'Forgotten War', as if the Vietnam war had somehow reached back in time and erased all records of 1950s Korea. We'd get the basic rundown - NK pushes the US back to Busan, we counterattack up to the Chinese border, the Chinese get involved and push us back to current borders - and then we're on to Vietnam. No stopping for morals just a quick recitation of how lines moved on a map because it's the Forgotten War, WWII is more heroic and the chickens never fully came home to roost like Vietnam so what's to learn from it, right?

We did learn MacArthur was wrong to want to use nukes though, so there's one for northeast liberal schools I guess.