Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

To me Harry's just someone who's always been that my way, Nathaniel.

He was writing polling analysis for the Guardian when he was 25. Guy's actually a whiz kid and that itself can make you really cocksure inside your domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

An independently running Republican no one has ever heard of with no experience in elected office is running in the high 20s in Utah while Johnson and Stein are both in single digits. Third parties, especially Johnson and Stein, are useless.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I wish I had more friends who listen to HH to share that with, because that is wonderful.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I've fallen horribly behind on Revolutions. I think I checked out during the Haitian one because I just couldn't get a good grasp of the events. Apparently there's been a whole series on Bolivar while I was gone!

I suppose the nice thing is that you can just jump into a new revolution.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It's such a messy affair that I think I'd better understand it through a book instead of a podcast.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, to be clear, I am not saying it's Duncan's fault I couldn't get into Haiti.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The latest Whistlestop episode on the position of the White House Chief of Staff and the system set up by Chief of Staff HR Haldeman during the Nixon administration is really really good. I can't think of anywhere else to go for this kind of thing. I love Dickerson for diving into a bunch of interesting literature on a topic and then giving me a 45 minute rundown of the interesting bits. Haldeman had a very organisatorial and managerial approach to administering the WH and its staff and it worked so well it stuck around even after both him and Nixon had to leave in disgrace. Paraphrasing, "the President should only get tough problems to solve because all the easy problems should be solved at the levels below." Also valuing the President's time above all else. Haldeman in hindsight even claimed that the Watergate burglary wasn't a failure of his system because if his system had been applied properly the burglary would never have been okayed.

Who knows what's going on right now though. We're at a juncture where we're really testing the technocratic commonplace that the levers of the Presidency must be operated by the best and brightest or everything goes to poo poo. Maybe it'll be rebuked, maybe it'll be proven true.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I remember listening to Under the Influence when it first started years ago as The Age of Persuasion and "podcast" wasn't quite common parlance yet. I just got fed up with the fact that the back catalogue was constantly taken off the website so you couldn't listen to any of the older episodes.

I remember that the show always had a lead which went to great lengths to drop the title at the end.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Immediately jumped to chapter 6, was not disappointed. This is true art.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 15, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I think I dropped Revolutions somewhere in Haiti. I'm debating starting Haiti from scratch or just jumping to the Bolivarian episodes and doubling back to Haiti later when I run out of Revolutions.

Haiti was interesting but the fact that I didn't know about it at all ahead of time meant that it was terrible commute listening because I needed to pay full attention to it. An episode would end and I'd be like "wait... what?"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Jordan Peterson interview on Today Explained. I don't thiiink I've ever heard someone hosting a Vox podcast shout at/over the guest before.

Edit: woo I can finally ride the Gentleman Johnny party train!

When this popped up on my feed I knew it'd be a bad time

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

e: lol I just realized I have a tab open in that making of video that clearly shows I had downloaded a pirated episode of RuPaul's Drag Race

You, I like you.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I've been listening to season 2 of Slow Burn about the Clinton impeachment scandal and it's actually eye-opening in many ways: there's so much poo poo that's been memory-holed, and everything is adorably simple and straight-forward compared to all the things that have happened afterwards.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Heads up: Not a Dollop regular myself but the Stonewall episode is a good time.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Missed opportunity to name it "Are you a bad enough dude to save the Republic?" but that was fun. And also the Good Ending is fairly obviously telegraphed. Though I'm not sure saving the Republic by giving all the credit to Sulla is a viable long-term solution.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I've been listening to En Clair recently. It's a linguistics podcast, it's main focus is forensic linguistics but in season one it's also done episodes on cryptography and hidden messages. The first episode, "Derek Bentley", is a really good introduction into what kind of show it is. It helps that the production is pretty good (the background music can get a little distracting sometimes, YMMV) and the host has a pleasant voice even though she's reading from a script. It feels like a podcast that should have more attention than it's getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I have never listened to Haiti anyway (I took a hiatus from the podcast at that time for reasons not related to the choice of topic) and by the point he's done with Russia and I'll have listened to Haiti, I might as well listen to France again, and so on, and so on.