Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Skeptoid

Brian Dunning turns a skeptical eye on conspiracy theories, popular misconceptions, and historical mysteries. From Bigfoot and Lost Cosmonauts to organic farming and pit bull attacks, Brian systematically breaks down not only the history of these myths and fabrications, but the poor arguments and logical fallacies behind their supporters perspectives.
My recommended first episode: His recent episode on The Bermuda Triangle really opened my eyes to the myth in a way I’d never heard anyone approach it before.

It's unlikely Dunning will be able to keep doing Skeptoid episodes from prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

urk the quack posted:

Badass. I've tried for years to appreciate Roman history, and for some reason History of Rome finally made it click well for me.

Have you tried Dan Carlin's Hardcore History subseries, Death Throes of the Republic? ~10 hours in all, fascinating stuff. He approaches the entire thing from the angle of what motivated the movers and shakers to do what they did.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

History of Rome is a good one if you don't like what Carlin is doing. The episodes don't usually run longer than 20 minutes and as the title suggests it covers everything.

History of Rome guy's new podcast has just dropped:

revolutionspodcast.com

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

After blueprint part 1 I was so excited I read one of his sources, "A World Undone," while waiting for episode 2. very good book, in case you want some additional material.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Death Throes 6 was 5.5-6 hours long if I remember correctly.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pritzker Military Library Podcast

This really is fantastic, especially the Medal of Honor series - it has Medal of Honor recipients telling the stories of how they earned their medals.

I've listened to a good 30-40, eventually I'll do the entire archive.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

"You Must Remember This" is killing it (pun not intended) with their extended Charles Manson series. I was initially not interested in it at all, feeling like Manson is well-trodden ground, but yesterday I decided to give it a listen anyways and now I am almost caught up. It's absolutely riveting stuff, really placing the emphasis less on Manson himself and how the culture of Hollywood at the time informed the murders. It's also really digging into these supporting and tangential names associated with the murders and building this giant patchwork tapestry of connections between episodes, slowly building the complete story. She is developing SUCH a vivid picture of Hollywood at the time. I can't recommend it enough. The Dennis Wilson episode floored me.

I have listened to the first 44 episodes of this show in the last 5 days. It is FANTASTIC. I listen to tons of podcasts and this is one of the best.

I'm on the second Manson episode and I'm already sad I'm catching up to current.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 6, 2015

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

adebisi lives posted:

What race of people is Sam Harris racist against? I'm not a huge fan of the guy and he's said plenty of dumb stuff but if you're going to criticize him or Dan Carlin for doing a podcast with him you should at least give a more nuanced criticism than that. I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I'm assuming Carlin isn't going to jump into the new atheist bandwagon with Harris. Besides, if you've listened to enough of the common sense podcasts you'd know Carlin has a huge man crush on Glenn Greenwald, one of Harris' arch twitter enemies.

If you listen to a little bit of Sam Harris you'll think he's vehemently anti-Islam.

If you listen to more of him you'll realize he's vehemently anti-Abrahamic religion in its entirety.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

toanoradian posted:

Are there good recommendations for left-wing political podcasts? I've only listened to Slate's Political Gabfest so far.

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow show puts every day's complete show in audio podcast form.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The problem here isn't dan carlin, the problem is that Sam Harris is a completely stupid racist piece of poo poo who tries to constantly sugarcoat his fake-intellectualist arguments.

Sam Harris isn't stupid or racist. He simply believes that Abrahamic religion is a gigantic net negative for humanity.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

In the latest Common Sense, Dan says he's not going to adhere to schedules or timelines anymore with either of his shows.

He says context switching between them is causing big delays, so maybe this new focus will get us more Dan faster.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

New Hardcore History coming out tonight and...it's probably World War 2.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone recommend something like the TwiT podcasts but for american politics? My ignorance is shameful and highschool/community college goverment courses, snatches of NPR, and a Something Awful USPol thread that moves at blinding speed isn't going to cut it.

I'd accept that it might need to multiple podcasts for various biases/leanings, and also I'm in the south so that'd be the region I'd be interested in, but also anything at the federal level would be fine.

"So That Happened" by Huffpo
"The Weeds" by Vox
"Political Gabfest" by Slate

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have to wonder if this is a smashing pumpkins reference

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

psutify posted:

I haven't listened to Star Talk for a while and was wondering if I should get back into it, any opinions? Any recommendations for other astronomy podcasts?

I used to listen to Astronomy Cast and found it much more informative than Star Talk, though not nearly as funny or engaging.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

aqu posted:

You Must Remember This
is back from its hiatus!
In case any of you aren't familiar with it, it's an exceptionally well researched and produced podcast about the history of Hollywood.

If you want somewhere to start, the series on the Manson Family murders are a great place to start.

I listen to a metric fuckton of podcasts, and You Must Remember This is absolutely one of the top 10 shows out there.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

New 6 hour hardcore history is up - Celtic Holocaust.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Use smart speed settings to embrace the darkness and squeeze extra podcast minutes into your day! Look occasionally at the hours saved and be amazed and horrifed by how many hours of podcasts you listen to.

I am getting close to 2000 hours of time saved by smart speed alone. It’s taken me since the day overcast came out in 2014 to get here.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I’ve maxed out overcast’s speed settings each time as soon as Marco raises the max, but the notch past 3x was too much for me with smart speed on, I’m not surprised it only lasted a couple versions.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Seems like a good time for the OP to update with all the stuff that’s been recommended over the last 80+ pages

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Anyone know the name of that meditation podcast that advertised on the latest Behind the Bastards? I thought it's Calm your mind, but there's one by that name and it looks kinda weird.

on Evans' other show, Worst Year Ever, there was an ad for a podcast named "Stay Calm," is that what you mean?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

More than 24 hours since supernova in the East 4 arrived clocking in at 3h 58m and no one’s posted about it.

I’m glad the news of the week has taken precedence.

gently caress the police.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

New hardcore history is up

Supernova in the east 5
212 minutes