Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

PittTheElder posted:

Any love in this thread for the SRB Podcast? I've been listening to a lot of the more historical episodes which are great, and now I have a whole new interest in the much more numerous Donbas conflict episodes now that people seem to think a Russian invasion of Ukraine is imminent.

Sean's great overall, been listening for a couple years now. It's a nice pod for picking and choosing specific episodes instead of just listening chronologically to me. You're not always in the mood for "Pushkin in academia" so maybe that day "the evolution of soviet ballads 1950-1975" is precisely what you needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Cockblocktopus posted:

Boomer lives!

Hell I would argue Marons work will and already has significantly more historical value than anything hardcore does, easily

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

roomtone posted:

are there any good whistle-stop tour history podcasts, with a sort of lighter approach to things? i'm not that worried about strict factual accuracy, as long as the podcast is upfront that things they are presenting didn't necessarily happen/happen this way, but are interesting and factual in the sense that this is what was recorded.

i put on a bbc podcast called 'you're dead to me' last night at work and this is basically what i'm after except it seems like episodes have a revolving door of mid-tier british comedians on it so i listend to an episode on queen boudica, which was really good, but then had to turn off a few others because the guys on them were annoying me, even though i had clicked on subjects i was interested in.

i don't know much history at all so i don't want to deep dive into a 50 hour series on just rome, or anything like that, i want to get a sense of what the big stories are from ancient history up to modern, and then i can focus on one area at some point if i want to later.

so something with a pretty set cast/presenters, and preferrably something that is conversational rather than a monologue.

You're sort of describing both "Do Go On" and "the Dollop" I think? Both are "one comedian reads absurd history to other comedians who react to the stupid stuff people actually did".

If you want to give either a try, suggestions for the Dollop could be ep. 12 "the rube" or 207 "the Horror of Macquarie Island", and for Do Go On maybe 226 "the East German balloon escape" or 332 santa claus bank robbery 229 "the Eiffel Tower"

E. Wait I misunderstood you, sorry. You want a overview of world history, not to gaze at the humanity of humanitys weaker moments (and laugh)?

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 9, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I mean, the Mexican civil war was illuminating to learn about

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I'm happy Mr. Duncan is going to make a new era of podcasts eventually and that he clearly still likes it, since everyone of us clearly still enjoys listening to them.

The end of the last episode is the best summary of the cccp I've ever heard.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Inward Empire creator was a grad student and is just going to be very sporadic and or just stop one day, yeah?

From a blog post he wrote a while back, he took an unscheduled and indetermined lenght hiatus for mental self care right about when covid started. There will hopefully be more eventually someday, but no guarantees.

I have a personal connection to VN and it can't be repeated enough how those 5 episodes are the best of the best.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone have good recommendations for an American Revolutionary Period / Founding Fathers type of podcast? The girlfriend has been watching Hamilton and was asking about something that covers the actual personalities involved.

Mike Duncan covers it in Revolutions, though my recollection of the series is that that season was before it really got good at all, and I'm not sure how much it covered all the Founding Fathers and their conflicts.

The Dollop episode on Alexander Burr & Hamilton lol

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Thirding appreciation for the recomend, Empire is fully top tier, being stringent while also almost effortless enjoyable listening

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Cockblocktopus posted:

Because if you kind of think about it, folks, if you kind of think about it... history is sort of like, you've got a champion boxer in one corner of the ring, and if you can imagine it for a second, there's Darth Vader over on the other side... and oh boy, he's really angry. Now if you can put yourself in the shoes of the boxer, AND I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN, you think "hey this is crazy, what kind of chance do I have to take on Darth Vader?" How could you make that mistake? And if you could, do you really think you would LEARN from that mistake... or do you think that the next time you see Darth Vader, maybe you step out of the way and let him go by?

Anyway, Henry Kissinger goes to the meeting with Nixon...

+ Go on Carlin, ask me one more question

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone else listening to Empire and finding it's going waaay downhill? Now that they're out of India the show seems to be turning into the Anita and William Drive Time Radio Hour.

It's different now I'll grant you that. But a major reason for it is the subject difference - modern stories about a self-reinventing India/Pakistan or the eyewitness accounts of life under an empire that doesn't empathise with you, or view your group as an integral constiuent part of it, is very different thing from the current retelling about an imperial center far removed from it's eventual demise.

The first series spent a lot less time on that than this Turkish one has, so atleast I think the tonal difference isn't on Anand and Dalrymple as much as it is for this facett of the Turks. For what its worth.

(Grand histories can be hosed boring and myopic and I don't mind Anita and William frazzing out rn. Random or individuals stuff, shits relatable innit) I loved the quick Roma & Musical talk.

tl/dr India was a deeper more complex interesting thing alltogether vs. old ottoman "big history"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Tides is one of the few I'd recommend without any asterisks, ironically. It's consistently good going back to the original Fall of Rome podcast

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

323 - New York To Paris
46 - The Cereal Men
12 - Rube Waddell
87 - Action Park
and 207 - The animal horror of Macquarie island.

Solid picks, the last one is the penguin one and my favourite. Other good ones are 364 - Proctor & Gamble, 266 - the history of eugenics, and basically any about US presidents or their failed assassins or other related persons (ep 117?). The one about the Swedish pirate princess was also noteworthy. The beer riot is number 15 - ten cent beer night. Honourable? mention to 146 - Philly's Frank Rizzo

I should say they sometime have another archetype of episodes too, about largely unknown people who survived things that are unbelievable. Those are not as funny as they are moving*.
Except for the unkillable irishman where it's the other way around

*Hugh Glass is the first one, but there's one about a young woman on a Canadian Arctic expedition, and another about a young mother on the 18th century west coast who carried her two infant children back to inhabited lands after her mountain man husband died. In winter. I won't spoil how long it took.
F e: (446) Ada Blackjack (née Delutuk), can't remember what number the last one hides under
This is Ada btw:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

I really like HI101 for its approachable vibe and conversational tone. I feel like the host does a good job of establishing a narrative that's easy to follow while doing other things, which is how I usually like to listen to podcasts (at work, while playing video games , etc). I feel like when I listen to things like Revolutions or Fall of Rome, my mind may wander and I'll miss a detail and then be lost.

I know everyone likes to rag on Hardcore History, and the quality has definitely gone downhill in recent years (still love Death Throes of the Republic), but I feel like that and HI101 are both pretty easy to follow, and if I miss a beat I can usually catch the thread back pretty quickly. Any recommendations for something similar? I've listened to The Dollop but I'm not super looking for comedy specifically.

Also, I know this isn't really this thread's purview, but does anyone have recommendations for a biography on Bismarck?

I should also mention that I already subscribe to Conflicted, Inward Empire, and Fall of Civilizations and quite enjoy those as well.

[Based on a true story] and [Do go on] are both good for background listening. Though Do Go On is sort of like the Dollop but from Australia, so more laid back and less (as in not at all) political

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

You scream it into the internets tube

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

No offence, but that premise sounds a bit like making a nuclear weapons history podcast and summarising everything that isn't French. WW1 is a very hard place to try to avoid an holistic view

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 4, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Cockblocktopus posted:

Oh I don't disagree; it's explicitly a "this is the story of American involvement in WWI, here's a barebones explanation of who's shooting who and why" angle on the war. I'm sure there's a better podcast out there, but the only holistic treatments I'm remembering offhand are audiobooks, not podcasts.

That's a very fair point

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I have a thought that pictures might add a je ne sais quoi for her if she wants to get a feeling for the cold war and the times. Was it BBC that produced the "20th century" docu series? The one with the prominent important/adjacent people interviews in the later episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

It's someone who supposedly made a career out of reading history out loud, and yet didn't hear a god drat thing