Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I listen to/have listened to a lot of history-and-related podcasts, many of which aren't mentioned in this thread, so here are some :words: I have about them. (This post is a work-in-progress; I'm going to come back to finish it soon, but wanted to get the stuff I had posted before I had to go out today, since I can't save a draft.)

I used to listen to Hardcore History (like, in 2008) but it really lost my interest at some point and I never went back to it. I think a lot of it was that he made reference to relatively few sources (especially primary sources) in his podcasts, and also that, at that point, he tended to give a lot of stuff a pretty shallow treatment. I might go back to it sometime soon, but I have a ton of other podcasts that I listen to, so maybe not. I feel similarly to most of you about Stuff You Missed in History Class, which I now pretty much only listen to if the topic of the episode sounds interesting. I also listen to In Our Time, RadioLab, This American Life, More or Less, and a few other podcasts already discussed in this thread with varying degrees of regularity.

Podcasts I listen to or have listened to (but now they are done):
Classical 91.7's Classical Classroom - Episodes usually run 20-30 minutes and come out every week-ish. Musicians, academics, and other people knowledgable about classical music discuss either specific works (Bach's B-Minor Mass, for example) or more overarching topics (Bel Canto Aria).

Footnoting History - Episodes usually run around 15 minutes and come out weekly. Probably my absolute favorite history podcast at the moment. Graduate students and early career historians discuss small topics they've discovered in their research that they find interesting -- topics include lepers and leprosy in the 13th century, the defenestration of Prague, running in the ancient Olympic games, a brief history of dieting, and the Native American (re-)occupation of Alcatraz, to name a few. They do a great job of giving succinct yet very informative introductions to the topics and always have excellent and extensive introductions to further reading. As a historian myself, I think that stuff like this is exactly what the discipline needs to stay relevant, particularly to non-historians.

Geschichte(n) hören - Episodes run between 1 and 2 hours and come out pretty irregularly. Unfortunately only in German, this is a podcast of lectures, presentations, and panels related to processing the history of the DDR. (Officially and auf deutsch - Podcastangebot der Bundesstiftung zur Aufarbeitung der SED-Diktatur)

History Extra Podcast - Weekly episodes of 45-60 minutes. The official podcast of BBC history magazine; every episode, a historian or two talks about their work. Favorite recent episodes include an interview with the head researcher for the TV series Horrible Histories and an interview with several historians who recently won awards for their writings for popular audiences (although I disagree with some of what they say).

History Hour - Weekly episodes of 50 minutes. BBC World Service presenter Max Pearson gives us "history told by the people who were there." The most recent episode includes the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa, a shark attack during WWII, and an Indian soap opera.

Medieval Archives - Most episodes around half an hour, after a break has recently returned to a biweekly-ish update schedule. Each episode deals with a specific topic, ranging from specific individuals or locations to things like Medieval Zombies. Another good example of a historian trying to make their work more accessible to a non-academic audience.

Rex Factor - Most episodes about an hour, some longer, some shorter. Updates tend to come around once a month. I mostly listen to this podcast because it's fun and I like listening to two people interested in history have fun with the field. In this podcast, two guys go through the monarchs of what-is-now-England, beginning with Anglo-Saxon kings -- now they're up to George VI -- and discuss various aspects of their reigns, ultimately looking to conclude about whether they have "it" -- THE REX FACTOR. A somewhat silly and non-scholarly but ultimately enjoyable exploration of the English monarchy.

Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine

The Serial Killers Podcast

Thinking Allowed

When Did the Statue of Liberty Turn Green

Podcasts I have downloaded episodes of but haven't listened to yet (with their official show descriptions):
China: As History is my Witness - 10 episodes, aired in October 2010 - From emperors to poets to generals, the BBC's former Beijing correspondent Carrie Grace explores the lives of key figures from China's rich past to examine how Chinese society has evolved over the past 3,000 years. At best, they have been taken for granted and sometimes they have endured far worse at the hands of China's governments and invaders alike. What voice for the Chinese public now?

The History of Iran Podcast - Two 20-30 minute episodes so far - A history of Iran from the earliest time (ca. 3000 BCE) to the 20th century.

Shakespeare's Restless World

Sport and the British

Things We Forgot to Remember

Witness Archive 2010

1913: The Year Before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

radlum posted:

Any opinions on the Ask Historians Podcast from Reddit? I've been listening to some episodes and they have been rather interesting, but I don't know much about that subreddit.

I haven't actually listened to the podcast yet, but the subreddit is excellent. Most of the people who are flaired users (i.e., have been determined by the moderators to regularly contribute content of a fairly high level) have graduate education in their topics of expertise and it shows. The moderation is also very, very good.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

There's a goon-made podcast all about weird Australian history if you want more of that called Last Stop to Nowhere. Not as funny as The Dollop, of course, but plenty of interesting topics that you'd never hear of. They rebooted their podcast in the past year and I haven't listened to the new version yet, though the old one was enjoyable...

Last Stop to Nowhere is great. I'm pretty behind now, but it's so interesting. Australian history is even crazier than one would expect, and I had no idea before starting to listen to this podcast.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
I suspect this has been recommended in this thread before but I haven't seen it for a while, but those of you who like podcasts that are the format of two non-historian guys talking about historical figures in a somewhat irreverent way might also enjoy Rex Factor. Basically, starting with Alfred the Great (r. 871-99), they went through all the monarchs of England (and Scotland, starting with James I/VI) and tried to determine which ones had ~the Rex Factor~. They've since gone back and have started Scottish monarchs. I'm still working my way through the English rulers and don't listen to it as regularly as I do a lot of podcasts, but it's fun to spend a day listening to every now and again.