Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

I really wish the history of byzantium was as good :(

Does anyone know a greek history podcast?

The History of Byzantium is at least bearable, the History of Britain podcast sounds like a history student's undergrad project.

Are there any other History of * podcasts that are worth listening to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

rypakal posted:

I vastly preferred the British History podcast over the History of England

Figures that I would mess up the names, I was referring to the British History podcast. If it gets better after the first episode or two I'll give it another shot.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

radlum posted:

Guys, there are few times I admit I was completely wrong and this is one of them. I love Hardcore History. I haven't had time to finish the second half of episodes about the Roman Republic but so far they have been great. I love Ancient Rome, I even bought a Roman Warship model to work on while listening to the podcast. Thanks for telling me to keep going and not judge Carlin for only a couple of minutes.

If you want to go deep on Roman history, the History of Rome podcast will give you more than you could ever imagine.

It's very detailed but in a good way, and covers the whole thing from republic to empire to the fall of the west. I came to it after having listened through the whole HH Republic series, and it was amazing how much more there was to cover. It's in the OP for a reason, but there's no understating how good it is.

Mike is very good at keeping pace and seems to deliver everything in such a way that it conveys a ton of info but without being dense or easy to lose track. It actually ruined me on most other history podcasts, they are often either too simplistic or come off like a dense history lecture.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

How are u posted:

How often does Dan release his podcasts once he starts a series? I'm new to Hardcore History and I really want to know when the next part of this series will drop.

The 5 part Khan series took exactly 6 months (to the day), and the 6 part Roman Republic series took a whole year+1 day. Better settle in.

I'm in no rush, this dropped right as I was halfway though A World Undone, so I don't want to mix the narratives in my head.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Majorian posted:

It's so unfortunate when a podcaster's voice ruins the whole project. On one History of England, there was a guest episode on the Avignon Papacy, I think. I was super-excited to listen to it, because I know a little bit about it but always wanted to learn more. But ooooooh my Lord the voice. The horrible loving VOICE. Super nasally New York accent that just made the whole drat thing unlistenable. I was disappointed, because the guy has his own podcast on the Papacy, which I would totally listen to. If my ears wouldn't bleed listening to him.

Is there a second History of England? Cause the one I'm listening to has a very british accent. E: Oh, was the guest voice the issue? That makes more sense.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 1, 2014

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I switched to Overcast because of its volume normalization feature, HH will put it to the test. I have no idea why his audio guy doesn't do more to normalize Dan's normal, booming voice with his quiet aside/quote voice.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I'd double check that download, the first 5 Death Throes of the Republic episodes should be approx 1.5 hours each, and the final episode is 5 hours long. Most of his really early episodes were under an hour though.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Any idea when Mike Duncan's audio quality in Rome gets decent? Listening to Revolutions first, it's got great audio quality throughout the whole series, but trying to start the History of Rome series from the very beginning it's obvious a lot of them are super old and I really can't be bothered with the audio quality.

Are you still in the first 10 episodes? It improves a bunch by the mid-20s, ditching the weird echo, then slowly improves over the rest of the run.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

His delivery doesn't get any better though. It was pretty bad in the Three Kingdoms series, he tried to tell the folk story about the 10,000 arrows and the whole thing was an incoherent mess. I really like the podcast when the host is talking, but the co-host really needs to practice his material and delivery.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Robert's Napoleon is definitely a perfect complement to the podcast, it goes really in depth in all the areas Mike didn't. It is pretty light on the early revolution and focuses more on the Consulate and Empire.

I'm really looking forward to Haiti now.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Well, that was quick: Kings of Kings III, 5 hours long