Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's out! and it's a long one too at 3 hours! cant wait to give this one a spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Listening to the WW1 series from Dan Carlin made me really appreciate the power of imaginative descriptions people gave of all the absolutely terrible things they're seen or experienced. Churchill was such a beast of language proficiency when it comes to describing events and Ernst Junger is such a crazy person but holy cow his 'Hammering a man tied to a post' is the best description I have ever heard for detailing what being bombarded with artillery feels like.

So far the series has been really awesome. the last episode was super harrowing but not my favorite, I love it when Dan uses hooks that immediately make me go 'All right, I'm strapped in for this ride', like when he simply states in the beginning "When did human civilization gain the ability to end itself?"

Holy Moly, I just found out that Ernst Junger lived to be 102.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 24, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ZeusJupitar posted:

I'd absolutely listen to Carlin talk about the history of boxing.

oh my god a Dan Carlin episode specifically about Mohammad Ali would be quite incredible.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah I don't get why Dan Carlin was so apologetic about Prophets of Doom when it was easily one of his most incredible and entertaining Episodes ever, every moment of that episode was thrilling, especially his delivery of it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I didn't realize he apologized for that episode. That's crazy to me, as I've used that episode to get 3 people into the show. It's the perfect balance of riveting and being a stand alone. It's hard to get people to try Wrath of the Khans cold, given the length. But Prophets of Doom I can sell on being just one episode. Then they're hooked.

It's one of my favorites.

yeah I mean he was apologizing profusely in the segments before and after the actual story itself in the podcast itself.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

we've reached peak boxing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

To be honest, Mike and Gary (Gareth) have a surprisingly good sense of judgment in politics than a lot of people who are actually in the field.

Also, Gareth in the podcast is really quick witted and funny, I really wish he'd carry that into his standup because his standup is totally devoid of the charm he has on the podcast itself.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 6, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Oh god, Dan why'd you waste your breath talking to that racist Sam Harris, he's an extremely ill-informed bigot who spends most of his talks self-justifying how he's not a racist. holy poo poo what a waste of an episode.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah the Washington episode was really strange, a lot of the music was really awful and misplaced and mike Duncan sounded bored with his delivery, a lot of the audio cues were really bad. I liked the Nixon episode because it delved quite a bit into the psyche of the man and gave us an interesting way of looking at him, the audio stuff was actually engaging in that one. The Washington episode is a trainwreck compared to the one before it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Because so many people here like Dan Carlin, you may appreciate this conversation/discussion re: american foreign policy, interventionism and the war on terror with Sam Harris

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/shouldering-the-burden-of-history-with-dan-carlin

The problem here isn't dan carlin, the problem is that Sam Harris is a completely stupid racist piece of poo poo who tries to constantly sugarcoat his fake-intellectualist arguments. He's a charlatan who takes advantage of other people ignorance to make statements that if it was ever said about any other group (e.g. jews, African Americans,etc.) He wouldn't have a career anymore. I am really disappointed that Dan Carlin keeps entertaining this creep.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

whoever is organizing the 10usp podcast is a complete moron. why do they keep numbering side episodes and unrelated individuals as part of the main episodes? they should place them to one side and categorize them differently. Also Colin Powell is now an American president I guess.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

How the gently caress did nobody mention the David Hahn episode. The boy scout who built a home made nuclear reactor in his dad's backyard shed in suburban Michigan. that episode was so incredible I listened to it three times. The dollop is super funny and is my 2nd fave historical podcast after dan carlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

King of Kings 2?! but the guy passed away in the last episode? who's he talking about this time?