Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, you guys were being way too kind with your comments on the Washington episode of the presidential podcast; I've never considered a podcast to be practicably unlistenable before now but whelp. It's like someone else has a tv on too loud while I'm trying to listen to it except this time putting my head phones in just makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I wonder if rather than having his guests write their own stuff, Brown's doing some kind of interview Q&A sort of thing and editing out his questions? Either that or Duncan decided to try out a less formal style for this one? I dunno. :shrug:

Not that I gave it much of a listen but I was really ready to believe that the editor, in addition to filling up the podcast with lovely sounds, had actually edited out pauses in Mike's sentences to increase the tempo so it could follow the dramatic techno music. I'd swear his inflection would change way too much in between sentences, like stuff was being spliced together. Is there a transcript of the podcast because really I'd just read it instead.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend something like the TwiT podcasts but for american politics? My ignorance is shameful and highschool/community college goverment courses, snatches of NPR, and a Something Awful USPol thread that moves at blinding speed isn't going to cut it.

I'd accept that it might need to multiple podcasts for various biases/leanings, and also I'm in the south so that'd be the region I'd be interested in, but also anything at the federal level would be fine.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Malloreon posted:

"So That Happened" by Huffpo
"The Weeds" by Vox
"Political Gabfest" by Slate

Thanks for this; it's not a comprehensive education on USA politics but it helps. The most recent weeds podcast on gentrification was my first look at the topic.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mike12345 posted:

I don't know, it has the same thing I dislike about other american radio shows from NPR. I know it's :eurosmug: as hell, but the only way I can describe it is as "jolly indulgence in simplistic worldviews". It's like my aunt invites me over for some tea and cookies and a blanket, while I listen to her feelgood stories of folksy wisdom & simple truths. That being said he has a nice voice.

I don't know if we're thinking of the same thing, but there's something about the accent/voice the guy from Lore has, and Ira Glass from NPR, that makes me think they're 20 years old, even though I just looked it up and Ira is 56.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to go back and relisten to Death Throes of the Republic to see how it's 'aged'. I remember it seeming so vast, so epic, but now with Blue Prints for Armageddon is it's like when you go look at heavy weight champ Jack Dempsey and find out he weighed 185 pounds.

Fake Edit - I just totaled it up and it was an hour and half an episode until I got to the last one which which was over five drat hours by itself. I don't remember but I bet he was like 'man I really gotta wrap this up even if it's a big episode' and then whelp. Still I just checked and Death Throes is about 13 hours and Blueprint for Armageddon is about 23.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding the time constraints of In Our Time, I like how the mp3s have extra stuff that can't fit into the radio slot, like the recent Chinese legalism episodes tangent into how Mao viewed it and a further look into how legalism never really went away it just got subtler.

I'd pay good money for a 'two hours more please' for a lot of in our time episodes, but it's strength I'd it's rapid fire topic change every week.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dan's always arguing in good faith; common sense drove me towards the left from a Mississippi upbringing because even when I don't agree with him he's reasonable and polite and eventually I ended up agreeing with him on points. Also I had heard Hardcore History first so I wasn't just going to dismiss the politics of someone I respected intellectually.

I added Mystery Show to my podcast player and listened to the Brittney episode (and also put To Feel Things on my amazon wishlist :unsmith: ). I know it's just me, because I answer phones all day, but I was a little put off (just a tiny bit) by how the sleuth draws call center people into personal conversations but it's not a big deal at all and I'm sure there were other conversations where the rep didn't engage and it just didn't go on air. It was also a nice bit of set up because it showed her ability to engage with strangers and gave a sense that she succeeded in getting through Brittney Spear's public persona where other people would have failed.

Edit: Also I wanted to contribute a podcast, it's part of the This Week in Tech (TWiT) family but of the Three I listen to (Their main show, their security one, and this one) it's easily they're most historical/diverse piece

Triangulation

Triangulation is about a guest speaker who's done something important in Tech. The most recent episode is about Lee Felsentein, a guy who got interested in computers in the 50s and 60s, back when, as he puts it in the interivew, you basically were enthusiastic about the idea of computers because you didn't have one, not even time shared access to a terminal. Lee goes on to pioneer the Personal Computer. Here's the first paragraph of his wikipedia entry:

Wikipedia posted:

Lee Felsenstein (born 1945) is an American computer engineer who played a central role in the development of the personal computer. He was one of the original members of the Homebrew Computer Club and the designer of the Osborne 1, the first mass-produced portable computer.

If you want to hear stories about the development of computing and tech and learn about the lesser knows behind the great advancements try Triangulation.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 9, 2016

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Melvin Melvyn Bragg has got you bro.

Edit: And I'm in no way being snarky about 'let me google that for you' but it's not like I knew this was going to be there. I'm just starting to build the impression that this show, which is decades old, has done a lot of poo poo.

Also I just realized that this podcast, while only 43 minutes long, has a huge reading list. That + audible = as much information as you could want, in audible form.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 11, 2016

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

PerilPastry posted:

Sometimes Bragg accomplishes this. Other times it feels like he's personally offended whenever an expert doesn't offer the exact answer he's expecting to a given question. If he's not willing to allow the conversation to develop a little more organically, he should just abandon the interview format altogether imo.

I'm only guessing but I bet he gets sick of guests not getting it every week. Never new to him, always new to them, etc.

A while back I asked for USA politics podcasts and got great recommendations. Can I get any for USA foreign policy on the middle east and Africa / world problems / crises? Sorry I know that's vague, basically I can't keep on top of the middle east thread and want something more detailed than the guardian articles and more frequent than topical common sense episodes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just do the 90 minutes and make an editor trim it down, they already have extra stuff at the end of the podcast done during commercials, no Bragg stress there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is pretty much the first time I've read the book the show I is on. It doesn't make the podcast bad, just different, I'm listening more for the Carlin presentation and analysis than the point by point.

I have a friend that theorized that Dan has to have side gigs to account for how long this takes, anyone know of anything?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The_Raven posted:

FYI... Just ran across a newish podcast called Inward Empire on the Dark Myths collective, I'm really digging it. The first two episodes are on the interaction between the English settlers and Indians in New England. Really well written, insightful, nice pace and presentation.

I've devoured every episode and love this podcast; but can someone under the age of 30 help me with the website? I don't see any way to donate or to contact the author about donating - websites made with mobile devices in mind confuse me and I can't find any useful links on either the main Inward Empire site or the Dark Myths parent site.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Chapo trap house bad mouthed Ezra Klein's vox article on Clinton mentioned in the latest weeds. My podcasts are fighting.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

rotinaj posted:

What's the deal with Harry Enten on 538? Is there any particular reason he comes off as a huge dick most of the time?

never having ben to NYC I picture him looking exactly like Barton fink.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The inward empire strike episodes were my first real introduction to that era of labor and robber barons and I can't recommend it enough. Like DC it's long but the delivery and tone is consistent so the first ten minutes will tell you if you like it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll check that out, I also like war on the rocks, which bills itself as realist.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And sadly I really like Mike Duncan's delivery aside from that, his cadence is so familiar at this point. Abd while he's way better than he used to be, and certainly better than I could do, he isn't quite at the level of an audibles professional. I wonder if he reads his own audio books...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like the dollop but if you handed me one of their scripts I'd call it mediocre; it's the delivery and the comedy that makes it.

Like stuff you should know is dollop sans comedy or charisma and I poo poo canned that thing almost a year ago.

I'm making it a bigger deal than I need to but I disagree with the idea that Inward Empire aspires to being as good as the dollop; I like empire better but really they're both different.

Edit: I didn't really mean this to be a direct rebuttal of the previous post, because The Dollop certainly has a certain theming in its episodes and I could see how a specific episode of another podcast could resemble it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 14, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, you're right and they're right, I misread it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I downloaded it and am going to push it on my friends. This may get big.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mike Duncan created a podcast and called it history. (Heck yeah, I'm starting on my copy tonight)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dan Carlin is great, he's the accessible, enjoyable history we need more of. If He's frustratingly out of date with his material, well, better historians should work on also being better story tellers.

I say that as someone more excited for the next Mike Duncan work than the next Dan Carlin work .

Edit: they're both great, I'm just irritated by an anti Carlin backlash I've seen around.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The complaints mostly come out of the excellent Military History thread in ask tell:

"Between constantly comparing the Gauls to Native Americans and the Hans Delbruck worship I think I'm done with Dan Carlin."

"I can't speak to its historical accuracy, but I found it to be middling. Fun enough to listen to, but one of his weaker outings. Dan Carlin dilutes every teaspoon of insight in a cup of inane metaphor. 

That's not to say the insight isn't there, just... gently caress, get to the point."

"Just so long as we don't descend into Dan Carlin-explaining-WWI-in-boxing-analogies-territory" [a response follows] "This isn't the only reason I stopped listening to hardcore history, but it's up there."

I want to stress that I don't think charges that Dan Carlin has short comings are wrong, he's very much on the "popular history" side of things, and I can understand why constant trumpeting of his work can grate, but I want to frame him as a popular history podcaster that most uninitiated people like listening to.

Maybe you'll "out grow" him at some point but I don't like leaving it at " no he's bad" (which is a straw man stance I'm not actually accusing anyone of, I'm just trying go add some complexity to evaluating him).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is really good when he has a focus story to tell.

When he doesn’t it’s really bad

Prophets of Doom always makes me day dream about Dan filling in on the dollop and telling Gareth about old proto Rasputin whatshisname and the reality of sieges.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I regret that word choice but I think the answer is to go broke reading and listening to history books. Also the inward empire guy needs to get on it, if I find out he's quit because of his miserable day job I'll lose it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's you tube videos you could time stamp.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone mail Dan a copy of unforgivable blackness .

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is BBC world news not good? Or too long? I think each episode is only thirty minutes and they hit the headlines in the first minute. It's what I use to make sure I'm not so deep in audio books or long form journalism that I don't know someone has died.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Latest lawfare is the audio of a conference/round table about a new book. I want more of this, more audio recordings of lectures, conferences, etc. Any recommendations for a podcast feed that collects and distributes these?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rodyle posted:

the cardinal sin of post-theme song housekeeping.

Hah, I never thought about this but it makes perfect sense; and yeah I know see I've been conditioned to expect that from (better) shows like History of Rome/Revolutions.

I'm finding myself listening to less and less history podcasts day-to-day; for example I'm just going to wait for my feed to show revolutions 8.x and then go back through it. But if we are also talking informational podcasts I want to mention The Weeds, Worldly, Lawfare and a new podcast The Horns of the Dilemma. All are informative looks are current events without being sound-byte length listings of headlines and, importantly to me, they're well structured/created to be high content.

I'd also like a recommendation for a good conservative podcast. I tried the Ben Shapiro show and, setting aside any question of message, I don't like the radio show format. Can anyone recommend something more structured/pre-planned like the shows I mentioned above? And you don't even necessarily have to agree with the show's message or viewpoint, I'm just looking for something representing (preferably moderate) conservative view point in a structure that isn't 1-2 hours a day improvised.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think of myself as pretty conservative and the Shapiro podcast sometimes makes me sweat profusely and pull my tie, but yeah that's only sometimes, other times he's pretty good, it's mostly his format I don't like.

I'll check out the other suggestions, thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I think I was a bit too kind in that characterisation: sometimes Ben Shapiro's comments are understandable within a rational frame work grounded in reality, and sometimes he's a insane conspiracy theorist. What surprised me most was when I found out he wasn't ranked near the bottom of the pile for my choices, he's among the top, I mean I'd listen to him before I listen to Sargon of Akkad.

I listened to maybe three of Ben's recent podcasts and at one point he argued that the black and white reactionaries in Pleasantville were right. He didn't seem aware of any irony or humor in the assertion.

I'm downloading cum town now, surely it's at least...self aware.

Oh, and to clarify I agreed with his assertion that supposedly neutral news reporting type stories in the guardian have a clear pro gun control bias.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 27, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-niall-ferguson-square-and-tower

Niall Ferguson argues in his new book, “The Square and the Tower: Networks, Hierarchies and the Struggle for Power,” that the powerful role of networks has often been overlooked. At the Hoover Institution earlier this month, Ferguson spoke to Jack Goldsmith about why historians have glossed over networks, the rightful place of networks in the study of history, and what the modern dominance of social networks means for the future of power.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know Harris is but thanks for this, I have Klein's show on auto download but only actually listen to some interviews, I'll give this one a go.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ezra Klein beat the brakes off that guy, but in a polite way, it was a lesson in how to give critism. The third time Ezra said Sam's last statement "was actually really helpful" I'd been conditioned to wince in anticipation of the oncoming slam.

History of Britain podcast is good.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 12, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Does it get better? I stuck with it a long time, almost 100 episodes, but I had to give up because the guy is just so long-winded I couldn't take it. There's too much pop psychology and amateur philosophizing, which can sometimes work but the delivery just didn't do it for me. To me it has a vibe like a middle school history class or something... hard to put my finger on it so I'll just say he's an over-explainer. Also, like a lot of middling history podcasts, if the host would only learn to pause between paragraphs like Robin Pierson (of History of Byzantium), it would be a lot more listenable. Anyways, I was hoping that it would improve once the amount of source material increased, but at the speed he was progressing, I ran out of patience. Is it worth skipping ahead?

Ninja edit: this is in reference to the "British History Podcast"... is "History of Britain" something else?

Sorry, yeah, "British History Podcast". I'm only 3 episodes in and was happy to have access to what the feed showed was a years long, 100+ episode podcast. If you've listened to that many episodes and don't like it, you're the one that should be educating me. I may get tired of it too, but I'm a sucker for "start to finish" histories.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Check this list out:

https://bellocollective.com/18-history-podcasts-to-listen-to-in-2018-72acaa4fec94

I'm about to put the first episode of uncivil on and go for a run. Compared to pre Roman England I've actually read a book on the ACW so I'm curious to see where this goes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Uncivil is good so far. It's a narrative told primarily using interviews with descendants and local historians, interspersed with scenes wherein the hosts frame and comment. The first story is a commando raid on coastal plantations planned by Harriet Tubman and the local union fort commander and executed by freed slaves turned soldiers. The second story is about how the few blacks who received Congress' forty acres have been fighting to keep it ever since, right up to the present. Which is pretty hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Stato-Masochist posted:

You never followed up with this. Was cumtown the reasonable and informed conservative podcast you were looking for, op?

I listened for a few minutes, they mostly talked about table top rpgs, and I decided someone was loving with me and turned it off.

Oh, I eventually decided the lawfare podcast would fit the bill.

Edit: I say that based on stuff like this https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-niall-ferguson-square-and-tower

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 3, 2018