Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Excellent thread idea, thanks for posting it!

Writing Excuses
My favorite writing podcast is only about 15 minutes an episode, but it comes out like clockwork every Sunday night and the archive is huge. The hosts discuss mainly genre fiction -- probably a given since most of their work falls into fantasy, sci-fi, or horror -- but the myriad topics they cover can be applied to almost any creative writing. Also, their different experiences and methods keep the advice pretty well-rounded, and business concerns are addressed as well as craft. Most writing podcasts I've listened to can hit on concepts that work or don't work in fiction, but Writing Excuses beats them all for depth of insight and how concisely it pins down why things work. It probably helps that several of the hosts have taught creative writing to some degree.
Sample episode: Line Editing

Self Publishing Podcast
Self-publishing and ebooks are changing the face of the creative writing industry. Everyone's sort of learning what fails or succeeds as they go, so it's invaluable when people who know how to make a living from self-publishing share their knowledge with the rest of the world. These guys have all been down that road, and so have their successful guests like Wool's Hugh Howey, for example.
The cons: I hesitate to recommend this to some of my more professional friends, because in a lot of the episodes the hosts spend a while throwing around lame sex jokes and "LOL gently caress you!" It can come across as kind of awkward, like they've listened to too many comedy podcasts and are trying to emulate that feel without realizing it's totally okay to just have a straightforward show about business. Also, compared to some other writing podcasts like the one above, their craft episodes can come across as babby's first intro to writing. But once they stop loving around -- which is usually quickly -- they share some hard-earned knowledge about the self-publishing experience and the practicalities you only learn from being on the inside.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Thanks to all the anti-Nickelodeon-guy chat, I tried out the Jeff Rubin podcast for the first time, but avoided that specific episode. These are great! The romance editor interview had me grinning the entire hour.

A know a few people in Romance Writers of America, and I almost want to write romance just so I can join it. Especially compared to other genre organizations, like SFWA - which has gone through some serious drama this year - RWA seems like they really have their poo poo together. By all accounts I've heard, they come across as welcoming and friendly, but extremely business-like and professional as well.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 14, 2013

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

joe football posted:

Am I missing something or did the roman republic podcasts disappear from the archive page? They're not up for sale either. I was just done with part 5

This happened to me too! Except I was in the middle of the series :(

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

If you're into true crime taken seriously, Casefiles is very well researched without being salacious. The insistence on humanizing the dead and going out of the way to describe their personal relationships in life, and the use of the term "survivors" instead of "victims" are small but consistent details, but it's a good indicator of where Casefile's priorities lie. You may also like Generation Why and True Crime Garage, which all follow the same format. For Generation Why, try "The Death of Robert Wone" for a little-known, yet totally baffling mystery. For True Crime Garage, I liked the series about "The Boys on the Tracks," which starts out eerie and gets unbelievably bigger and crazier.

For single-case miniseries, I'd also recommend "In the Dark," about the Jacob Wetterling kidnapping -- the investigation team goes above and beyond merely reporting the case. Madeleine Baran cooly, professionally holds authority figures' feet to the fire, and her conclusions about accountability and systemic failure made me queasy.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 1, 2017